CFZ Fixing the Cowboys for 2024

Chasing6

Reaction score
There‘s huge difference:
  • The college kid risks his future career in a meaningless college bowl game (unless it’s the college playoff) and risks millions because of draft position and future earnings.
  • The already professional player is under an official NFL contract with binding clauses about playing time in that contract.
Not if he is a free agent at the end of the year.

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
Let’s talk about what it will take to build this team into a true contender for a championship. So…What does this team need (besides a new GM?, lol) In order to fix this team’s many weaknesses, here are my big picture roster recommendations:
  • Before talking about any specific player, the first thing this team needs OVERALL is to recognize they aren’t as close as they like to think. This team is STILL way too soft, too small on defense, not nasty enough at DL, and still incapable of imposing its will on either side of the ball. DT, LB, OL, and RB are huge needs for this team.

• Everyone talks about needing another QB. And honestly, I’m ready to consider that. Dak is not as bad as way too many here think, but sometimes when your QB can’t seem to raise his level of play in the biggest moments, it becomes that much harder to make it happen the next time. BUT…then I start thinking about who will be his replacement? Ugh. It’s not that easy.
    • Trey Lance? Are we willing to just throw him the keys without any test drive? The guy the niners gave up on is our new starter? I’m not ready to say that.
    • The draft? Don’t see how with the 24th pick we can be reasonably sure that can produce someone who can step in and win playoff games. Besides the Jones front office somehow refuses year after to even consider drafting a QB early.
    • Cooper Rush? Please.
    • I wouldn’t mind seeing a trade for Dak because I guarantee there are teams who would like his services. He would have to approve it but he may be ready to consider it. I would if I were him. But his contract situation is complicated. If Dak would approve a trade to a willing partner in a “sign and trade” type deal, some teams might do that for a first round pick.
    • But again…who is your QB then?
  • For everyone screaming for Dak to go…have you thought this through? I’m tired of watching Dak suck in big games but do we have better options with this front office?
  • This next point is big IMO. The biggest need for this team is for guys who can bring a physical and tough presence. And those positions of need include DT, LB, G, C and Tackle. Because watching that packer team completely dominate the LOS and impose their physical will on a supposedly better team was eye opening. Remember the Buffalo game? The bills just rammed it down our throats all day long. It was like watching a bully steal lunch money.
    • Only a blind homer would say the Cowboys are a physical team. We aren’t.
    • For those saying our defense dominated at times last year, I say not unless two things happened: 1. We get multiple turnovers and 2. Got a two score lead. When this team had to rely on its defense to keep them in the game while behind, it could not do it.
    • The running game was anemic all year. We need an upgrade to the OL and a new RB.

There are tons of players that could help this team. But as I watch the playoff games this weekend, it seems pretty clear the Cowboys - as they are currently constructed - are NOT that close.

The guy who is the dominant face of this franchise by design has had three decades to build a roster he selected, and coached by coaches he is “comfortable” with. And we have 4 wild card wins to show for all that. I only bring this up to remind us that when he says “we are close”, forgive me if I don’t have any confidence in that statement.

We need to get bigger, tougher and if many fans have their way, miraculously find a QB who is an improvement. That’s a tall order. But it starts with being honest, something this front office never seems to do. The Star needs a lot of mirrors these days when it comes to figuring out the problems. But they CAN be fixed if they recognize what they really need.
Agree. But Dak still has to go, he blows every big game, not just those in the playoffs. Uncanny. Looking back at this season, everyone was asking "Can the Cowboys win against a top team?'. Then we beat Philly down, and everyone was saying "Yes we can win the big games". Well, well, Philly went down the crapper, not so great.
With the other improvements you suggest, we could get by with another bus driver for a while, one who doesn't panic and wreck the bus when the competition is considered better.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agree. But Dak still has to go, he blows every big game, not just those in the playoffs. Uncanny. Looking back at this season, everyone was asking "Can the Cowboys win against a top team?'. Then we beat Philly down, and everyone was saying "Yes we can win the big games". Well, well, Philly went down the crapper, not so great.
With the other improvements you suggest, we could get by with another bus driver for a while, one who doesn't panic and wreck the bus when the competition is considered better.
As I said in the OP, I am tired of watching Dak shrink in big games too. But who would you suggest plugging in a QB? What are the options?

Lets look at the options: Trey Lance? I might be ok with that if everyone was willing to watch him have a learning curve and we may have a dip down to the 8-10 win range. Cooper Rush? As a backup, ok. As a starter? No way.

If not those two it gets much tougher unless we could trade Dak. Could be done with Dak’s approval of destination but what would we gain in return? His contract is a problem unless a trade partner would allow some kind of sign and trade type deal. Honestly, a trade is unlikely.

Release Dak as a post June 1 cut. As long as the team is ok with a huge amount of dead money, thus limiting what you can do in FA. It’s interesting because that’s exactly what the packers did with Aaron Rodgers. They were willing to just eat his huge cap hit, roll with Jordan Love and see what happens. Obviously after a slow start, it worked out pretty well. It has about the same likelihood as likely Jerry Jones announcing that he’s stepping down. But it is an option.

Could also draft a QB and hope he works out in the long run. That probably means you struggle unless some more impactful rookies or additions help a ton like 2016.

Bottom line: If moving on from Dak is the main goal it can be done. But not without some problems. Seen and unseen.

GMO415

Reaction score
Ya can't bring back the exact ingredients and expect it to taste different, same goes for this turd of an organization.

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
As I said in the OP, I am tired of watching Dak shrink in big games too. But who would you suggest plugging in a QB? What are the options?

Lets look at the options: Trey Lance? I might be ok with that if everyone was willing to watch him have a learning curve and we may have a dip down to the 8-10 win range. Cooper Rush? As a backup, ok. As a starter? No way.

If not those two it gets much tougher unless we could trade Dak. Could be done with Dak’s approval of destination but what would we gain in return? His contract is a problem unless a trade partner would allow some kind of sign and trade type deal. Honestly, a trade is unlikely.

Release Dak as a post June 1 cut. As long as the team is ok with a huge amount of dead money, thus limiting what you can do in FA. It’s interesting because that’s exactly what the packers did with Aaron Rodgers. They were willing to just eat his huge cap hit, roll with Jordan Love and see what happens. Obviously after a slow start, it worked out pretty well. It has about the same likelihood as likely Jerry Jones announcing that he’s stepping down. But it is an option.

Could also draft a QB and hope he works out in the long run. That probably means you struggle unless some more impactful rookies or additions help a ton like 2016.

Bottom line: If moving on from Dak is the main goal it can be done. But not without some problems. Seen and unseen.
Let Dak finish out his contract, even though it will eat up the cap, unless he will agree to a trade of course. Absolutely do not extend his contract. I'd give Trey Lance a close look next season, get him some playing time. Better to be a bad team for a couple of years than a mediocre team for the next 5+, you would wind up in the same boat after that contract is up anyway. And stop drafting TEs and draft some QBs, you can find a bus driver that can handle pressure somewhere.

I would make a terrible owner. After being embarrassed like we were against Green Bay, I would've fired the whole organization, including my sons and myself, lol.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let Dak finish out his contract, even though it will eat up the cap, unless he will agree to a trade of course. Absolutely do not extend his contract. I'd give Trey Lance a close look next season, get him some playing time. Better to be a bad team for a couple of years than a mediocre team for the next 5+, you would wind up in the same boat after that contract is up anyway. And stop drafting TEs and draft some QBs, you can find a bus driver that can handle pressure somewhere.

I would make a terrible owner. After being embarrassed like we were against Green Bay, I would've fired the whole organization, including my sons and myself, lol.
That would make you a better owner than the one we have now.

nhcowboysfan

Reaction score
My ideas for fixing the Cowboys. First, let me start with the premise that Jerry Jones is not going to fire himself as GM; we are not replacing Mike McCarthy as head coach; and Dak remains the QB for next year and in all probability gets extended. Identified needs includes OL, DL, LB, RB, and perhaps WR and DB. We are limited to the first three rounds - with late picks in each - to draft a couple of players that may make an immediate impact. That leaves us with free agency, where I believe we have to make an impact. We can't afford to wait for the second and third waves of FA to pick up 4-5 JAGs that are no better than whom we draft or already have on the team - see Ronald Jones and Chuma Edoga as recent examples. I would rather get only 1-2 free agents that will likely be day 1 starters. For me the number one position I would go after in FA is defensive tackle. Any guy we draft - especially sitting at 24 - is likely going to need a couple of seasons to develop and we can't afford that. We need an experienced DT to pair with Hankins, thus allowing Mazi Smith another year to develop. I would like our 1st round draft pick to be the top center. Our OL was much better when we had Fredbeard. I think a top notch center improves the entire OL, and we wouldn't necessary have to go OT - kick Tyler Smith to LT and plug in Bass at LG. Hoffman and Richards provides solid depth, and perhaps Richards can beat out Steele at RT. I also wouldn't be opposed to drafting a Fred Warner-type LB or Kyle Hamilton-type Safety with one of our first two picks. What I don't want to see happen is another wasted 2nd round pick on a TE, an injured LB, a project, or some player with character/immaturity issues.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
Let’s talk about what it will take to build this team into a true contender for a championship. So…What does this team need (besides a new GM?, lol) In order to fix this team’s many weaknesses, here are my big picture roster recommendations:
  • Before talking about any specific player, the first thing this team needs OVERALL is to recognize they aren’t as close as they like to think. This team is STILL way too soft, too small on defense, not nasty enough at DL, and still incapable of imposing its will on either side of the ball. DT, LB, OL, and RB are huge needs for this team.

• Everyone talks about needing another QB. And honestly, I’m ready to consider that. Dak is not as bad as way too many here think, but sometimes when your QB can’t seem to raise his level of play in the biggest moments, it becomes that much harder to make it happen the next time. BUT…then I start thinking about who will be his replacement? Ugh. It’s not that easy.
    • Trey Lance? Are we willing to just throw him the keys without any test drive? The guy the niners gave up on is our new starter? I’m not ready to say that.
    • The draft? Don’t see how with the 24th pick we can be reasonably sure that can produce someone who can step in and win playoff games. Besides the Jones front office somehow refuses year after to even consider drafting a QB early.
    • Cooper Rush? Please.
    • I wouldn’t mind seeing a trade for Dak because I guarantee there are teams who would like his services. He would have to approve it but he may be ready to consider it. I would if I were him. But his contract situation is complicated. If Dak would approve a trade to a willing partner in a “sign and trade” type deal, some teams might do that for a first round pick.
    • But again…who is your QB then?
  • For everyone screaming for Dak to go…have you thought this through? I’m tired of watching Dak suck in big games but do we have better options with this front office?
  • This next point is big IMO. The biggest need for this team is for guys who can bring a physical and tough presence. And those positions of need include DT, LB, G, C and Tackle. Because watching that packer team completely dominate the LOS and impose their physical will on a supposedly better team was eye opening. Remember the Buffalo game? The bills just rammed it down our throats all day long. It was like watching a bully steal lunch money.
    • Only a blind homer would say the Cowboys are a physical team. We aren’t.
    • For those saying our defense dominated at times last year, I say not unless two things happened: 1. We get multiple turnovers and 2. Got a two score lead. When this team had to rely on its defense to keep them in the game while behind, it could not do it.
    • The running game was anemic all year. We need an upgrade to the OL and a new RB.

There are tons of players that could help this team. But as I watch the playoff games this weekend, it seems pretty clear the Cowboys - as they are currently constructed - are NOT that close.

The guy who is the dominant face of this franchise by design has had three decades to build a roster he selected, and coached by coaches he is “comfortable” with. And we have 4 wild card wins to show for all that. I only bring this up to remind us that when he says “we are close”, forgive me if I don’t have any confidence in that statement.

We need to get bigger, tougher and if many fans have their way, miraculously find a QB who is an improvement. That’s a tall order. But it starts with being honest, something this front office never seems to do. The Star needs a lot of mirrors these days when it comes to figuring out the problems. But they CAN be fixed if they recognize what they really need.
I heard Chicago is open to trading the 1st overall pick.
Trade Dak for a 1st (you should be able to get one), use that pick, our 1st and maybe next years 1st and pick whichever OB you think is best.
That would be the first move.
It wouldn't fix next year, but in 3 or more years...

kskboys

Reaction score

If you're getting rid of Dak, why in Hades would you not be looking at a trade before this next season?

quickccc

Reaction score
1 top notch front office
2 players
3 coaching

Look how Detroit Lions who have Looooong been the laughing stock of the NFL for DECADES , yet now they are
actually in the NFC championship title game

- A goal the Jones are still to this very day have been pressing for DECADES .

1. Lions somehow conjured together an apparent excellent front office that knows how to wheel and deal in the NFL draft, trades, FA, .
  2. .struck gold in hiring Dan Campbell. Whose clearly made his stamp on the team- how long has Gramble- Campbell been looked over by several teams ? Kudos to Campbell for discovering OC Ben Johnson and DC Aaron Glenn is patch working a unit that is competitive enuff to put them one game away from the SB, including DE Hutchison is really on a ro
  3. QB Goff phased out in LA Rams, but he's really resurrected his career in Detroit, FO supplying him with key weapons, ala Brown, Montgomery, Gibbs, La Porta, and they have a staff that excels at scheming & designing them.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
1. Build a fembot
0562d9f015dd0655d11663278893678a.jpg

2. Program it to seek out this gross perverted bastage.

jerry-jones-drunk.jpg

3. Let it do what it do!

tenor.gif

Success Cowboys start winning!

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
If you're getting rid of Dak, why in Hades would you not be looking at a trade before this next season?
Absolutely on the table, but only if Dak will agree because of his no trade clause. I just do not want any extension for him, to me that will be years wasted.

Verdict

Reaction score
I know there will be people on both sides of the Dak fence and each side has some merit. But I think there are a few factors that favor moving on from Dak that are possibly not receiving enough focus.

1. Dak’s cap hit will, in effect, shortly slam the “window” to win a SB shut in relatively short order. So even if we keep Dak, we are probably not winning anything of significance.

2. You can’t pay Dak, Cee Dee, Micah, Bland, Diggs, Martin, Steele, Tank, and Tyron.

3. The defense is at a crossroads. You may or may not lose DQ this year or next year. Will the team stay in a 4-3?

4. Cee Dee is probably the single hardest player to replace on the team right now. He is going to get paid by someone. You can decide to trade him and go cheap at WR, but I don’t think that I would do that. I think I would pay Cee Dee.

5. I think this is the year that you trade guys who are good players but haven’t got you over the hump. I would move on from Martin, Tyron, and Steele. The OL has underperformed. You can’t pay guys to underperform.

6. The Cowboys should be aggressively looking to acquire draft picks for players. I would flip Dak for picks, personally. That allows you to pay Cee Dee, Parsons and Bland.

7. The picks from trading Dak, Martin and possibly a few others allows you to take a shot at filling the holes on this roster.

8. I could see the Cowboys doing some cap gymnastics on Dak to keep Dak around one more year and not extending him to a long term deal, while preparing for a future without Dak.

9. I know that many of you think that the Cowboys’ ownership is inept and will not make changes. I am not sure that’s true. I think the Cowboys organization started planning for this eventuality last offseason when it traded for Lance. That wasn’t random.

10. Keep in mind that even if the Cowboys have already decided to move on from Dak, it would probably benefit the Cowboys to play up keeping Dak around, pretend to want to extend Dak, and hide the fact that Dallas will be trying to draft a QB.