Fixing the Defense won't be easy and could take some time!

Bluefin

Reaction score
It’s actually not that difficult to attack holes in FA.
Problem being Dallas has primarily used free agency to fill holes rather than attack them.

They did use trades last year to add WR Bradin Cooks and CB Stephon Gilmore. A few years back, DE Robert Quinn was another smart trade for a one year rental.

Dallas is open to trading for help provided to draft pick compensation is pretty low.

However, will the Team become more aggressive in spending on free agents to improve the roster?

cnuball21

Reaction score
Problem being Dallas has primarily used free agency to fill holes rather than attack them.

They did use trades last year to add WR Bradin Cooks and CB Stephon Gilmore. A few years back, DE Robert Quinn was another smart trade for a one year rental.

Dallas is open to trading for help provided to draft pick compensation is pretty low.

However, will the Team become more aggressive in spending on free agents to improve the roster?
Bingo…it’s completely doable but we probably won’t bc the Front Office is happy with the status quo.

Bluefin

Reaction score
Bingo…it’s completely doable but we probably won’t bc the Front Office is happy with the status quo.
The coaching staff has been told it's 2024 or bust, so Jerry and Stephen Jones need to be more aggressive filling holes in free agency this off-season.

Adding a legit DT and LB you know can help instead of adding a camp body because you already have Maliek Collins, Neville Gallimore or whatnot on a rookie deal.

Get better.

cnuball21

Reaction score
But that’s exactly why you have a plan to use FA and draft
Sure, we can talk about what we think the FO will do because we know they’re predictable and do things the wrong way but I think it’s fun to think about what we should do to get us over the hump.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
PFF? I still don't get who crowned that group the gold standard for analytics. All I know is I saw him get pushed around a lot this year, barely sniff the QB, and the middle of our defense was soft as tissue paper.
Regardless of who's fault it was that the defense was soft up the middle, Mazi was drafted specifically for run stopping, like most every NT ever drafted.

But he didn't help much. Like most any Cowboys player I'll give him a chance, but he better improve a lot, or the bust label will be quickly applied...

DanA

Reaction score
We don't have all that much work to do to fix the defense in my opinion. There are no real big names to replace except Gilmore and we have Diggs. We obviously could use some improvement at LB and DT (Particularly 1T).

cnuball21

Reaction score
We don't have all that much work to do to fix the defense in my opinion. There are no real big names to replace except Gilmore and we have Diggs. We obviously could use some improvement at LB and DT (Particularly 1T).
Good to see you posting Dan! That being said…surprised with your post. We gave up around 28PPG against playoff teams…I think we have to invest at DT, LBr, CB (depends on what we do with FAs) and a pass rusher that get consistent pressure outside of 11.

DanA

Reaction score
Good to see you posting Dan! That being said…surprised with your post. We gave up around 28PPG against playoff teams…I think we have to invest at DT, LBr, CB (depends on what we do with FAs) and a pass rusher that get consistent pressure outside of 11.
I agree with those four positions as ones we have to invest in but I don't think that's all that much in comparison to other years. What we need matches up well with FA and the draft, and are generally lower-cost positions. It's not like we need a premier corner or edge rusher. For me, there's an opportunity to step forward with one big splash in FA and the we just find a way to get by with the rest.
  • We could survive with Clark/Bell at LB
  • We could survive with Odigi/Mazi at DT
  • We could survive with Mukuamu as a NB
  • We could survive with Williams/Golston as backup edge rushers
Don't get me wrong, none of these are the ideal final solutions but they aren't total scrubs either, they can do a job. Just get me a difference-maker at DT (3T or 1T) and we can probably find a solution between what we have and draft picks as healthy competition. I'd rather invest major draft capital in replacing Biadasz and Gallup.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I agree with those four positions as ones we have to invest in but I don't think that's all that much in comparison to other years. What we need matches up well with FA and the draft, and are generally lower-cost positions. It's not like we need a premier corner or edge rusher. For me, there's an opportunity to step forward with one big splash in FA and the we just find a way to get by with the rest.
  • We could survive with Clark/Bell at LB
  • We could survive with Odigi/Mazi at DT
  • We could survive with Mukuamu as a NB
  • We could survive with Williams/Golston as backup edge rushers
Don't get me wrong, none of these are the ideal final solutions but they aren't total scrubs either, they can do a job. Just get me a difference-maker at DT (3T or 1T) and we can probably find a solution between what we have and draft picks as healthy competition. I'd rather invest major draft capital in replacing Biadasz and Gallup.
While I agree we can survive with those guy, and likely make the playoffs again, don’t think we’re getting over the hump adding 1 FA DT.

Tired of seeing the same results.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Let face the facts. You can win regular season games without stopping the run a lot of times and the same without running the ball well. BUT, when you get to the playoffs you will lose if you can't do both. Who are the final two playing for a Super Bowl? KC runs the ball very well and stops the run pretty darn good. SF runs the ball well and is so-so stopping the run so if their defense doesn't the run then Mahomes will light them up with screens and throws to the TEs all day long.

We cannot do either. So if Jerry really wants to get back to another Super Bowl, he has to be activate in free agency with some high quality guys like Chris Jones DT (KC) and Patrick McQueen ILB/MLB (Balt), draft a LT even if you have to move up in the draft to get a guy, and also go back to what was successful with a combo RB like we had with Zeke/Pollard, so maybe Derrick Henry/Pollard.

Then you have teams not being able to run the ball giving Parsons/Lawerence better chances at sacks, and better running ball because teams have to respect the run making throws by Dak far easier.

A Super Bowl berth would be far easier to get a chance just with those improvements. Would Jerry even consider it? NOT A CHANCE!

DanA

Reaction score
While I agree we can survive with those guy, and likely make the playoffs again, don’t think we’re getting over the hump adding 1 FA DT.

Tired of seeing the same results.
Probably not but I just don’t want 1-5m vet players. I’m all for spending big on superstar free agents and letting the rookie contracted players fill the holes.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Probably not but I just don’t want 1-5m vet players. I’m all for spending big on superstar free agents and letting the rookie contracted players fill the holes.
Doesn’t have to be a bunch of Fowlers…we can create enough money to get a big name then a handful of smaller ones.

The whole point is so you don’t have to draft for need, miss out on better players, then have to count on those rookies more than you should.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
This team cannot stop the run when it matters. Personnel in the front 7 is an issue. That’s where the money needs to go. But the coaching was equally bad. The playoff game was a disaster.