Fixing the Defense won't be easy and could take some time!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Reader / Wilkins + Luvu would be a grand sam IMO.
To totally fix out run defense you would think we need upgrades at all these positions:

1T, 3T, DE and Mike Linebacker. Try to fill two this offseason is most realistic to expect.

cnuball21

Reaction score
To totally fix out run defense you would think we need upgrades at all these positions:

1T, 3T, DE and Mike Linebacker. Try to fill two this offseason is most realistic to expect.
Osa was having a solid year but seemed like he hit a wall. If either him or Mazi can progress that helps the DT room a ton with the addition of someone like Reader.

Same for Sam Williams…but if DE if BPA in the 1st or 2nd I have zero hesitation making that the pick. Having someone who can consistently create pressure while 11 eats double teams would be massive for this defense.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Osa was having a solid year but seemed like he hit a wall. If either him or Mazi can progress that helps the DT room a ton with the addition of someone like Reader.

Same for Sam Williams…but if DE if BPA in the 1st or 2nd I have zero hesitation making that the pick. Having someone who can consistently create pressure while 11 eats double teams would be massive for this defense.
For run game purposes, I want a Defensive End who actually can set the edge and a DT that doesn't get blown off the ball due to his small size. Hell, I would even play two 1T's inside against the run. If one of Fowler/Armstrong returns, I don't think this team will struggle rushing the passer, but have to earn that right but winning on the early downs first.

cnuball21

Reaction score
For run game purposes, I want a Defensive End who actually can set the edge and a DT that doesn't get blown off the ball due to his small size. Hell, I would even play two 1T's inside against the run. If one of Fowler/Armstrong returns, I don't think this team will struggle rushing the passer, but have to earn that right but winning on the early downs first.
I just feel like we need more juice at Edge in general. The pass rush only looked great when we were blowing teams out and they could pin their ears back so empty calories IMO.

Tank is elite against the run and a year 2 Fehoko will hopefully be solid…I think he was drafted for that exact reason as an edge setter and maybe kick inside on rush downs.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I just feel like we need more juice at Edge in general. The pass rush only looked great when we were blowing teams out and they could pin their ears back so empty calories IMO.

Tank is elite against the run and a year 2 Fehoko will hopefully be solid…I think he was drafted for that exact reason as an edge setter and maybe kick inside on rush downs.
Still a lot unknown with Fehoko, excellent in tackles for loss in college, but didn't have a great athletic profile. Let's hope he is a better version of Golston. I hear you about pass rush, it is time for Sam Williams to become that guy. 3 yr rule coming after another season.

MarkP88

Reaction score
You would think either Quinn or another within his current staff will be running the defense next season. Almost impossible hiring an outside DC for a lame duck HC. Figure they will run the same scheme, maybe with a few tweaks.

DE-my opinion Parsons is more of an off the ball chess piece then he is as a down lineman. DLaw is getting older, but still playing at a high level. Armstrong is a fa, where his play is pretty much average. Fowler also a fa is a good situational pass rusher. Both players might follow Quinn if he departs. Can they trust Sam Williams on and off the field if given a starter role. Golston hasn't shown anything in 3 seasons. Fehoko is a green prospect at this juncture.

Priority Need

DT-Osa had a breakout season, but just recorded 3 sacks as the 3T, which isn't enough. He also has issues stopping the run. How many years are the Cowboys going to band-aid the 1T position? What is Mazi, as they had him lose a ton of weight? Gallimore is a waste of a roster spot.

Priority Need

LB-Lve's career appears over, he was the only legitimate linebacker on this current roster. Overshown showed some flashes by coming off an acl injury and is another hybrid type of S/LB that lacks size. Clark has shown to have poor instincts. Bell is a safety forced to play Linebacker.

Priority Need

CB-Diggs to coming back, but we have seen how players respond after tearing their acl. Gilmore most likely won't return and he just had shoulder surgery. Lewis is a fa and also isn't expected back. Is Bland a better slot or outside corner? Really don't have much behind this group.

Medium

S-biggest disappoint positional group last season. Kearse play really fell off as he won't be returning. Wilson had his struggles, but looked to be getting better towards late in the season. Hooker doesn't make many plays, but is rarely out of position. Thomas showed some potential.

Low
I like your posts, but am totally mystified whenever I read "Osa had a breakout season." How, exactly? And I'm not just talking about the lack of sacks and inside pressure. Our defense was weak as hell up the middle. The guy is a stiff as far as I am concerned.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I like your posts, but am totally mystified whenever I read "Osa had a breakout season." How, exactly? And I'm not just talking about the lack of sacks and inside pressure. Our defense was weak as hell up the middle. The guy is a stiff as far as I am concerned.
80+ PFF Grade which was 15th amongst DTs. Better pass rusher than run defender but I don’t think he’s the problem.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
He was rated one of our best defenders this season. I agree, poor run defender, but offers some pass rush, but 3 sacks isn't cutting it, either. Also, the run defense had far more issues off the edge then within the interior, especially when Hankins was healthy. Parsons did a terrible job setting the edge.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Could be a long time to fix it. But maybe not. It depends on how your first couple of draft picks turn out.

What if we could draft an Aaron Donald in his prime? That'd take care of both the pass rush and the run stopping to a large degree. Allows you to move Parsons back to lb, where he could fill the mlb spot.

Then if we could draft another Derwin James, for example. Great and run defense and pass defense. Lessens the need for another CB.

Lastly, an outside speed rusher. Pure pass rusher. Nothing else matters. Normally don't like single skill players, but need one that teams must defend with an OT and at least a TE. Let's the rest of the defenders be singled up for the most part.

Pipe dream I know. But at this point, dreams are about all we have as long as the current regime is in command...

cnuball21

Reaction score
Could be a long time to fix it. But maybe not. It depends on how your first couple of draft picks turn out.

What if we could draft an Aaron Donald in his prime? That'd take care of both the pass rush and the run stopping to a large degree. Allows you to move Parsons back to lb, where he could fill the mlb spot.

Then if we could draft another Derwin James, for example. Great and run defense and pass defense. Lessens the need for another CB.

Lastly, an outside speed rusher. Pure pass rusher. Nothing else matters. Normally don't like single skill players, but need one that teams must defend with an OT and at least a TE. Let's the rest of the defenders be singled up for the most part.

Pipe dream I know. But at this point, dreams are about all we have as long as the current regime is in command...
IMO I think we’re closer than some
fans think…the good is we have the most expensive positions covered with Micah and Diggs/Bland.

If we can sign a + run plugging DT and a quality LBr the defense instantly turns into a much improved unit.

That doesn’t include progression from the young players or draft picks.

It’ll take a ton of luck to land multiple studs but if we can just get guys that can contribute and help that’d be great. Ex - I’d be fine with someone like Chop Robinson or Byron Murphy at 24. Might not help much against the run in year 1 but gives you immediate pass rush juice to help 11.

MarkP88

Reaction score
80+ PFF Grade which was 15th amongst DTs. Better pass rusher than run defender but I don’t think he’s the problem.
PFF? I still don't get who crowned that group the gold standard for analytics. All I know is I saw him get pushed around a lot this year, barely sniff the QB, and the middle of our defense was soft as tissue paper.

MarkP88

Reaction score
He was rated one of our best defenders this season. I agree, poor run defender, but offers some pass rush, but 3 sacks isn't cutting it, either. Also, the run defense had far more issues off the edge then within the interior, especially when Hankins was healthy. Parsons did a terrible job setting the edge.
Rated by PFF? Frankly, I trust the assessments of some people on this board over that group. Not to mention my own eyes.

cnuball21

Reaction score
PFF? I still don't get who crowned that group the gold standard for analytics. All I know is I saw him get pushed around a lot this year, barely sniff the QB, and the middle of our defense was soft as tissue paper.
More power to you…I find it hard to evaluate every player on defense with the eyeball test during a live game.

visionary

Reaction score
Reader / Wilkins + Luvu would be a grand sam IMO.
The 1-3 picks in draft have to be offense

OT, C, RB

FA has to be about defense
DT, MLB
Parsons has to play significant snaps at LB
Resign Hankins, Armstrong, Lewis

cnuball21

Reaction score
The 1-3 picks in draft have to be offense

OT, C, RB

FA has to be about defense
DT, MLB
Parsons has to play significant snaps at LB
Resign Hankins, Armstrong, Lewis
I think you do everything you can in FA to fix your holes so you don’t have to go into the draft forcing a bunch of need picks.

I understand we’re in win now mode but drafting solely for need at the top of a draft is how you ruin one.

visionary

Reaction score
I think you do everything you can in FA to fix your holes so you don’t have to go into the draft forcing a bunch of need picks.

I understand we’re in win now mode but drafting solely for need at the top of a draft is how you ruin one.
Cant fill all the holes, have to have a sound plan

The draft is full of cant miss OL talent and OL are expensive in FA
Attack defensive needs in FA
Use the draft for offensive needs as I outlined above

It is not difficult if the team has a plan and is willing to be aggressive to execute it

cnuball21

Reaction score
Cant fill all the holes, have to have a sound plan

The draft is full of cant miss OL talent and OL are expensive in FA
Attack defensive needs in FA
Use the draft for offensive needs as I outlined above

It is not difficult if the team has a plan and is willing to be aggressive to execute it
It’s actually not that difficult to attack holes in FA. We can free up a ton of money through extensions / restructures / cuts and be pretty big spenders to take on most of our glaring needs via FA.

I just don’t think you can go into a draft saying we have to draft ABC groups…that’ll lead to missing out on better players and as a playoff contender we shouldn’t be counting on rookies to get us over the hump regardless.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Wilkins is the kind of big-name free agent I'd open up the checkbook for.

I'd also like to see if the Panthers would trade Derrick Brown on his 5th year option, then extend him. It's no surprise to say it, but the Panthers are a headless-chicken franchise. They've turned down trade offers for guys like Brian Burns and Brown, but then they haven't extended them. Once you've decided that a guy is too valuable to trade, shouldn't you lock him in and pay him? I don't get it.

But their front office confusion could be to our gain. You aren't getting a talent like Brown unless you spend a top draft pick + wait a few seasons, and players like him rarely hit free agency.

Last edited:

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Rated by PFF? Frankly, I trust the assessments of some people on this board over that group. Not to mention my own eyes.
In my opinion, watching the games, he was impactful early on then totally disappeared.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Wilkins is the kind of big-name free agent I'd open up the checkbook for.

I'd also like to see if the Panthers would trade Derrick Brown on his 5th year option, then extend him. It's no surprise to say it, but the Panthers are a headless-chicken franchise. They've turned down trade offers for guys like Brian Burns and Brown, but then they haven't extended them. Once you've decided that a guy is too valuable to trade, shouldn't you lock him in and pay him? I don't get it.

But their front office confusion could be to our gain. You aren't getting a talent like Brown unless you spend a top draft pick + wait a few seasons, and players like him rarely hit free agency.
Yes and Yes…although signing Wilkins might limit us in knocking out other needs via FA so I might look more at a Reader or Grover.

I live in Charlotte and watch a lot of Panthers game…Brown is a dude. He’s basically what we hope Mazi can become - elite against the run and good enough as a rusher to apply pressure. The Panthers not trading him and Burns last year was comical…dire need of more picks.