Fixing the trenches still is paramount

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Just looking at the draft, I think the dream scenario is:

Trade: Pick 24 for picks 32 and 95 which gives us:
  • 32, 58, 90, 95

Not saying but something we should actively try to manufacture. If a team wants a DE, CB or WR they might make a trade like this and it would allow us to address our needs.
  • OG: Torrence or Avilla
  • DT: Kancey, Bresee
  • LB: Simpson
  • TE: Mayer, Kincaid, Washington
I feel like Torrence should be our target, but others present intriguing value at this pick should they fall.

2nd round
  • DT: Kancey, Smith, Ika, Benson
  • OG/OC: Avila, Schmitz
  • TE: Washington, Musgrave
  • RB: Charbonnet
  • LB: Sander, Campbell
In the 2nd I'd be hoping for someone to fall to us with Charbonett the consolation if we were wiped out. Mazi Smith feels like a decent chance. Washington is probably long gone but you never know.

Pick 90 & 95:
  • RB: Charbonett, Bigsby, Miller, Abanikanda
  • TE: Kraft, La Porta
  • LB: Sewell, Pace Jnr, Pappoe
  • DT: Benton
I feel like this is the real sweet spot for RB, TE, LB positions, and having an extra pick in this range goes a long way.
We would still have to give up a little more for the trade, but I get what you are saying. For me, the focus, in no particular order: Edge, CB, NT, LG, RB, TE or receiver. Getting that extra three, would certainly help, but this draft drops off significantly after the day 2.

cnuball21

Reaction score

• 32, 58, 90, 95

Not saying but something we should actively try to manufacture. If a team wants a DE, CB or WR they might make a trade like this and it would allow us to address our needs.
I feel like Torrence should be our target, but others present intriguing value at this pick should they fall.

2nd round
In the 2nd I'd be hoping for someone to fall to us with Charbonett the consolation if we were wiped out. Mazi Smith feels like a decent chance. Washington is probably long gone but you never know.

Pick 90 & 95:
I feel like this is the real sweet spot for RB, TE, LB positions, and having an extra pick in this range goes a long way.
Good players but not sure why we are completely ignoring the higher value positions early in the draft.

For a class with a ton of CB / DE talent I’d be incredibly disappointed if our first 3 selections are low value positions.

kskboys

Reaction score
-How far are we away from finishing the OL rebuilding job? Probably one elite guard and a developmental starting guard for when Martin decided to retire. Think the team believes Walesko is their future backup swing tackle. Torrence, Schmitz, Avila fill that elite need, where the latter two offer center versatility.

-DL is a different animal as they need serious help within the interior at both 3 and 0-1 techniques. This position usually has a steep, learning curve unless you are drafting a top 10 prospect. Bender, Dexter offer future help at both spots, where adding another veteran NT makes more sense then drafting one for instant impact.
I love you man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plus, I don't see a game changing NT in this draft. That's why, back when we were signing Poe and McCoy, I wanted desperately for us to go after Reader or Hargrave, both of whom signed for around 13 mil/season. Yes, a little high, but what they do is just so rare, collapse pockets and make plays. Cincy and Philly signed them, and funny how both ended up in super bowls. No, it was by far not just because of the NT, but it was a big part of the reason. More than anything it was putting the emphasis in the right area, one thing we fail all too often at doing.

cnuball21

Reaction score

Plus, I don't see a game changing NT in this draft. That's why, back when we were signing Poe and McCoy, I wanted desperately for us to go after Reader or Hargrave, both of whom signed for around 13 mil/season. Yes, a little high, but what they do is just so rare, collapse pockets and make plays. Cincy and Philly signed them, and funny how both ended up in super bowls. No, it was by far not just because of the NT, but it was a big part of the reason. More than anything it was putting the emphasis in the right area, one thing we fail all too often at doing.
Probably not game changers, but there are some solid run pluggers in the mid round that would give us some youth behind Hanks.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

• 32, 58, 90, 95

2nd round

Pick 90 & 95:
The Cowboys would never give up the 5th year option.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

DT is tricky in this draft and we all know they aren't going to use a high draft pick on a two down player. Benton from Wisconsin is a player we all like as he has some pass rush abilities, Roy from LSU is a 30 visitor who has a similar makeup just isn't as talented, probably could draft him in the 4th rd, where Benton might be a 2nd rd pick.

cnuball21

Reaction score
DT is tricky in this draft and we all know they aren't going to use a high draft pick on a two down player. Benton from Wisconsin is a player we all like as he has some pass rush abilities, Roy from LSU is a 30 visitor who has a similar makeup just isn't as talented, probably could draft him in the 4th rd, where Benton might be a 2nd rd pick.
I’m still a fan of Ika. For some reason there’s this fallacy going around that he’s a run plugger only but he’s actually pretty solid in pass rush. Believe he had 30+ pressures last year which is solid for a NT.

I think there might just be concerns around playing weight / conditioning. Dudes impressive though.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I’m still a fan of Ika. For some reason there’s this fallacy going around that he’s a run plugger only but he’s actually pretty solid in pass rush. Believe he had 30+ pressures last year which is solid for a NT.

I think there might just be concerns around playing weight / conditioning. Dudes impressive though.
Believe he is short armed as well. I would love one of these players, but cannot see it with this front office. I am expecting a day 3 NT. If it was me, I draft Benton, Ika or Mazi if one was there at 58.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
-How far are we away from finishing the OL rebuilding job? Probably one elite guard and a developmental starting guard for when Martin decided to retire. Think the team believes Walesko is their future backup swing tackle. Torrence, Schmitz, Avila fill that elite need, where the latter two offer center versatility.

-DL is a different animal as they need serious help within the interior at both 3 and 0-1 techniques. This position usually has a steep, learning curve unless you are drafting a top 10 prospect. Bender, Dexter offer future help at both spots, where adding another veteran NT makes more sense then drafting one for instant impact.
I think there is an elite interior OL in this draft. I think Torrence and Avila could become top 20 OG's and Schmitz a top 5-10 OC, but dont see any of them being elite

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think there is an elite interior OL in this draft. I think Torrence and Avila could become top 20 OG's and Schmitz a top 5-10 OC, but dont see any of them being elite
Agree, they are good, but aren't considered elite prospects.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Agree, they are good, but aren't considered elite prospects.
Mauch is a really interesting name in the 2nd. I think he is a real fit at LG. Could, but doesnt have to start day 1. Offers you some utility as a back up OT.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Mauch is a really interesting name in the 2nd. I think he is a real fit at LG. Could, but doesnt have to start day 1. Offers you some utility as a back up OT.
Mauch is short armed and needs to get stronger. I like Bergeron who many think will kick inside on the next level. Excellent feet, but heard the same thing, needs to get stronger.