Fixing the trenches still is paramount

NotForLong

Reaction score
Joe is from Cowboys blog. Said the Cowboys would trade for Cooks instead of signing OBJ the day before the trade happened. Has a connection inside the Star. Joe is not perfect but he seems to understand the Cowboys philosophy. I used to think you were Joe because I think he comes on the message board from time to time. He said the Cowboys want McDonald at 26 because they think when Tank was hurt last season it effected Parsons. Said the Cowboys have no plans to waste an early pick on a running back but might go guard if the board is fleeced.
This is the feeling I have been getting . . . I do not see them going in any other direction unless Bijan or a Highly rated CB that falls

NotForLong

Reaction score
I like Mafi. You want power on your IOL? Mafi is for you. He is aggressive and has a bull in a China shop mentality. I like that he started out initially as a DL because once you do that and then switch to OL… you have a very good idea of what is going on down in the trenches on each play.

He does fit the Tyler Smith profile, at least mentally and power wise. Mafi tries to bury you, just like Smith.

I’m not sure how high you’d have to pick him, but he’s a guy I’d love to have on the team to learn under Solari.

If Mafi keeps his pad level down… he will move just about anybody.
:grin:

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yea if a man heavy team wants him they’ll get him.

We’re more zone heavy so maybe not the best fit but I do like him.
He is more a developmental corner for playing zone coverage, but he fits their prototype to a tee, same with Rush and Brents who they had formal meetings with at the combine. Question is, can we wait to 90 or do we have to draft a corner by 58?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I don’t think they will take Mafi in round one but I could see that they like him. The Cowboys have their own board and use the media to spread false information. Joe has been good through the years with his sources. The year we drafted CeeDee heard we really liked Terrell. It’s funny that Atlanta drafted him before us. I think his information comes from a high ranking college scout. Joe is not a big fan of Tyron so his information about him being the swing tack is probably a little biased.
Taking Mafi in rd 1 would have the fan zone people crying for weeks, lol. Just wonder where his true projection is, I know many teams have him as a 30 visitor? We know with the big extensions coming, they are going to need to shed a lot of salary, which means finding DLaw's replacement and adding a starting caliber corner are important.

cnuball21

Reaction score
He is more a developmental corner for playing zone coverage, but he fits their prototype to a tee, same with Rush and Brents who they had formal meetings with at the combine. Question is, can we wait to 90 or do we have to draft a corner by 58?
I’d rather just focus on the scheme fits.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I like Mafi. You want power on your IOL? Mafi is for you. He is aggressive and has a bull in a China shop mentality. I like that he started out initially as a DL because once you do that and then switch to OL… you have a very good idea of what is going on down in the trenches on each play.

He does fit the Tyler Smith profile, at least mentally and power wise. Mafi tries to bury you, just like Smith.

I’m not sure how high you’d have to pick him, but he’s a guy I’d love to have on the team to learn under Solari.

If Mafi keeps his pad level down… he will move just about anybody.
I know he has a ton of 30 visits lined up, it's looking like he is going to be a day 2 prospect. When I watched Avilia last week, I was underwhelmed with his run blocking. Still believe Schmitz is the best interior lineman in the draft. Really don't want to use another 1st rd pick at this positional group, rather draft one on day 2.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I know he has a ton of 30 visits lined up, it's looking like he is going to be a day 2 prospect. When I watched Avilia last week, I was underwhelmed with his run blocking. Still believe Schmitz is the best interior lineman in the draft. Really don't want to use another 1st rd pick at this positional group, rather draft one on day 2.
Yeah, pretty much how I feel. I’d love to have Mafi, I just don’t know how quickly he’ll go.

Love Schmitz… I would be ok with taking him in the late first. But I might rather have:

McDonald / Mafi

Or

Forbes / Mafi

Instead of Schmitz / Tuli Tuipulotu

Or

Schmitz / Stevenson

But really, I wouldn’t be upset with any of those because I like Schmitz so much.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Yeah, pretty much how I feel. I’d love to have Mafi, I just don’t know how quickly he’ll go.

Love Schmitz… I would be ok with taking him in the late first. But I might rather have:

McDonald / Mafi

Or

Forbes / Mafi

Or

Schmitz / Stevenson

But really, I wouldn’t be upset with any of those because I like Schmitz so much.
I’m 100% on board with Forbes or McDonald in the 1st.

Give me a stud IOL that falls in the 2nd and I’m happy.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Take a listen to Joe on Cowboys Blog. He backed you up big time when talking about the Cowboys drafting. Said the Cowboys want another cornerback and said the tight end talk is media driven. Said the Cowboys like Mofi UCLA over Avila as their number 1 guard. Says the Steele talk is bs. The Cowboys want Tyron to be the swing tackle and believe the guard they brought in with free agency can compete at left guard with the draft pick. The big shocker is that he believes McDonald is the Cowboys number 1 target with the 26th pick. Finally said there is no way that Robinson drops in the 20s because it’s a weak draft. Teams are not going to pass on that type of talent.
For those that dont know, Will McDonald is an edge rusher from Iowa State..............6-4, 239 on NFL combine site.......overall grade is 6.41 which is "good starter within 2 yrs"

Will give Quinn another toy to play with:thumbup:

Cowboyny

Reaction score

McDonald / Mafi

Or

Forbes / Mafi

Or

Schmitz / Stevenson

Perfect world we add McDonald, Mafi and Stevenson or a similar corner like Rush or Brents.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Perfect world we add McDonald, Mafi and Stevenson or a similar corner like Rush or Brents.
That would be great.

You’d have two picks for the trenches (DE and OG) as well as two high value positions (DE and CB) in those 3 picks.

I like the players too if they were McDonald / Mafi / Brents.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Taking Mafi in rd 1 would have the fan zone people crying for weeks, lol. Just wonder where his true projection is, I know many teams have him as a 30 visitor? We know with the big extensions coming, they are going to need to shed a lot of salary, which means finding DLaw's replacement and adding a starting caliber corner are important.
McDonald might go higher then 26. That is what scares me. It’s amazing how the scouts always has at least 3 players that come out of nowhere to be first round picks. I wonder were Stevenson really ranks. Is he top 5 to them? I remember they wanted Campbell in the Joseph draft but Jacksonville jumped us.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
McDonald might go higher then 26. That is what scares me. It’s amazing how the scouts always has at least 3 players that come out of nowhere to be first round picks. I wonder were Stevenson really ranks. Is he top 5 to them? I remember they wanted Campbell in the Joseph draft but Jacksonville jumped us.
Yeah, they tried to trade up for Campbell but the other team just wanted too much.

They should’ve done it because now, they wasted the second round pick on a player they weren’t sold on (Joseph).

If you’re pretty sure about a player… go get him, IMO.

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
Peter "P-Rex" Skoronski may fall with the short arms. If he drops to us, play him at guard!
2521f3f912f94c40a504f2c651d98674.jpg

Cowboyny

Reaction score
If McDonald goes ahead, then someone else drops

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Yeah, they tried to trade up for Campbell but the other team just wanted too much.

They should’ve done it because now, they wasted the second round pick on a player they weren’t sold on (Joseph).

Early in the draft process CowboyNY said we needed cornerbacks because they are all free agents after this season. I was not aware that are only secondary players under contract after next season are Joseph, Wright, Wilson, Bland and Bell. That is absolutely frightening.

Malhavoc

Reaction score

That was a huge mistake. Should have went and got Campbell. Joseph had talent and traits, but too many question marks. One you get to round 2 and 3 where the draft capital isn’t ad high go get the player you really feel good about.

DanA

Reaction score
-How far are we away from finishing the OL rebuilding job? Probably one elite guard and a developmental starting guard for when Martin decided to retire. Think the team believes Walesko is their future backup swing tackle. Torrence, Schmitz, Avila fill that elite need, where the latter two offer center versatility.

-DL is a different animal as they need serious help within the interior at both 3 and 0-1 techniques. This position usually has a steep, learning curve unless you are drafting a top 10 prospect. Bender, Dexter offer future help at both spots, where adding another veteran NT makes more sense then drafting one for instant impact.
Just looking at the draft, I think the dream scenario is:

Trade: Pick 24 for picks 32 and 95 which gives us:
  • 32, 58, 90, 95

Not saying but something we should actively try to manufacture. If a team wants a DE, CB or WR they might make a trade like this and it would allow us to address our needs.
  • OG: Torrence or Avilla
  • DT: Kancey, Bresee
  • LB: Simpson
  • TE: Mayer, Kincaid, Washington
I feel like Torrence should be our target, but others present intriguing value at this pick should they fall.

2nd round
  • DT: Kancey, Smith, Ika, Benson
  • OG/OC: Avila, Schmitz
  • TE: Washington, Musgrave
  • RB: Charbonnet
  • LB: Sander, Campbell
In the 2nd I'd be hoping for someone to fall to us with Charbonett the consolation if we were wiped out. Mazi Smith feels like a decent chance. Washington is probably long gone but you never know.

Pick 90 & 95:
  • RB: Charbonett, Bigsby, Miller, Abanikanda
  • TE: Kraft, La Porta
  • LB: Sewell, Pace Jnr, Pappoe
  • DT: Benton
I feel like this is the real sweet spot for RB, TE, LB positions, and having an extra pick in this range goes a long way.