Fleming deal = Lae'l staying put at RT?

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Barring injury, or a surprise draft pick in the first round, I say it's 100% certain that Collins stays at RT. It's a more important position than LG and Collins is a very talented player. The Cowboys will likely draft another OL mid round and there will be a camp battle for the LG spot. Depth issue seemingly solved.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Not that there’s anything wrong with paying him 3.5M to be the swing tackle, I’m perfectly fine with that. Just means we still have a hole (LG) to fill.

After the midseason debacles ,we were always going to overpay for a swing tackle. Fleming is a good choice for that, this was a "check the box" move by the front office that only turned into an Internet Tsunami because of one tweet speculating it would love Collins off RT instead of backing him up.

Its also likely they had to tell Fleming he would have a shot at replacing Collins as a starter (good luck, kid) to get him to sign, but the reality is he was always going to be the gigantic patch over the Byron Bell/Chaz Green hole.

Aven8

Reaction score
Collins played much better at OT than he ever played at guard IMO. People forget that he played against some of the best pass rushers in the league for almost a month straight.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Should be the combination of the best five guys period. I would imagine we might see a lot of juggling players around in camp and preseason.

Yea, Steven Jones pretty much spilled the beans here.

He said they are putting the top 5 guys on the field, regardless of position or anything else.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I don't think Fleming signed a one year deal with the intention of riding the pine. He signed a one year deal, to hopefully parlay that into a larger more lucrative deal. Now maybe we'll keep Collins at RT, but I would assume that means Fleming will compete at LG. But I still think Fleming is RT, Collins is LG.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I wish that I would have saved the link that I found. Stephen Jones has told reporters that Collins is and will be the starting right tackle. They have no plans st all to move him back to guard. If I find the link again, I will post it.

looking for this ;)

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I sure hope he is the swing tackle. Maybe I don't understand football but for being a first year NFL tackle, facing elite competition week after week, and being hurt, I thought La'el played pretty damn good at RT

He played very well but that's not the point. Unless a player is drafted worthy of being on the starting 5 Fleming has to be your starting RT. The options at OG other than Collins are garbage. Looney is a backup. Martin strives to one day be Joe Looney. Chaz Green is a punchline at this point.

It's about getting your best 5 on the field and that isn't hard to figure out right now as the group stands today.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Maybe Carrett will move Collins to center and Fred to guard and Martin to tackle. Position Flex, can't have enough of it?!

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Tonight Newy Scruggs on NBC said the FO stated that they want Fleming to compete for the RT position, and if he is good enough to start he'll be the RT.
Sooooo, obviously it follows that they'll move Collins to LG if Fleming is good enough to start.

Last edited:

Howboutdemcowboys31

Reaction score
He played very well but that's not the point. Unless a player is drafted worthy of being on the starting 5 Fleming has to be your starting RT. The options at OG other than Collins are garbage. Looney is a backup. Martin strives to one day be Joe Looney. Chaz Green is a punchline at this point.

It's about getting your best 5 on the field and that isn't hard to figure out right now as the group stands today.

I agree that’s their premise. I just disagree with constantly moving people and stunting their growth

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Tonight Newy Scruggs on NBC said the FO stated that they want Fleming to compete for the RT position, and if he is good enough to start he'll be the RT.
Sooooo, obviously it follows that they'll move Collins to LG if Fleming is good enough to start.
This is just... it's generally acknowledged to give rookies 3 years to fill in to their role and we want to bounce this talent around like a ball from a gumball machine.
We are wasting this man! And for Fleming? What tha?!

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
It’s amazing how some of y’all can’t see the hesitation in the Collins kick with his right leg which in turn messes up his punch. It is also interesting how people say RT is more important than LG the worst pressure is up the middle especially on the blindside. QB can see the pressure coming from the right. Also guards make more than RTs so it doesn’t matter what he got paid. His rookie year he was near a PB level guard last year he was an average RT.