Fleming deal = Lae'l staying put at RT?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
It’s amazing how some of y’all can’t see the hesitation in the Collins kick with his right leg which in turn messes up his punch. It is also interesting how people say RT is more important than LG the worst pressure is up the middle especially on the blindside. QB can see the pressure coming from the right. Also guards make more than RTs so it doesn’t matter what he got paid. His rookie year he was near a PB level guard last year he was an average RT.
It's interesting to see people have no patience with a player playing a role for the 1st time ever.
And he was not a near PB Guard that year. Leary outplayed him. I know he took over because Lael got injured, but Leary outplayed him.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
It's interesting to see people have no patience with a player playing a role for the 1st time ever.
And he was not a near PB Guard that year. Leary outplayed him. I know he took over because Lael got injured, but Leary outplayed him.
Collins beat Leary out. Collins was named one of the best Guards under 25 that season and if not for injuries was expected to be a PB contender next season. He was ranked ahead of DeCastro and Trai Turner. JG is loyal to his vets if Leary was better he would of started when healthy. I am fine with being patient with a player just don’t see the point of putting a square peg in a round hole when there is a square hole open.

vlad

Reaction score
Leave Collins at freaking RT. At least for as long as you left Byron at safety until you figured out he was a CB.

vlad

Reaction score

Well to be fair they just gave the job to Collins even though Leary was always playing better than him - that's one of the reasons Leary was so pissed. That move ha JG written all over it.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
It’s amazing how some of y’all can’t see the hesitation in the Collins kick with his right leg which in turn messes up his punch. It is also interesting how people say RT is more important than LG the worst pressure is up the middle especially on the blindside. QB can see the pressure coming from the right. Also guards make more than RTs so it doesn’t matter what he got paid. His rookie year he was near a PB level guard last year he was an average RT.

What is amazing is that you can think that his footwork and timing did not improve markedly over the course of the season.

A lot of OL take time and reps to get comfortable. Flozell took time; Parnell took time; Green looked awful when he got no time.

The reason why OT is considered more important is because it easier to help the interior than it is with the OT. It's why most every year the sack and pressure leaders match up against OT.

Ideally I would prefer to build on what LC accomplished rather than reset with LG. If the OG talent requires him to move then so be it but IMO LC will be a better OT than OG at least next year.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
What is amazing is that you can think that his footwork and timing did not improve markedly over the course of the season.

A lot of OL take time and reps to get comfortable. Flozell took time; Parnell took time; Green looked awful when he got no time.

The reason why OT is considered more important is because it easier to help the interior than it is with the OT. It's why most every year the sack and pressure leaders match up against OT.

Ideally I would prefer to build on what LC accomplished rather than reset with LG. If the OG talent requires him to move then so be it but IMO LC will be a better OT than OG at least next year.

Sure it improved some everything improves with practice but still a hesitation there.

Why not let him go back to the left side where he is already comfortable.

Don’t say OT cause that includes LTs which is more important we are comparing Collins at RT or LG. It is not easier to help up the middle. Ask any QB pressure in their face Is the worst. If you have a clean pocket always can step up to avoid outside pressure.

I think Collins grows to be a PB guard if moved or an average RT if left there.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Collins beat Leary out. Collins was named one of the best Guards under 25 that season and if not for injuries was expected to be a PB contender next season. He was ranked ahead of DeCastro and Trai Turner. JG is loyal to his vets if Leary was better he would of started when healthy. I am fine with being patient with a player just don’t see the point of putting a square peg in a round hole when there is a square hole open.
Well to be fair they just gave the job to Collins even though Leary was always playing better than him - that's one of the reasons Leary was so pissed. That move ha JG written all over it.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Leave Collins at freaking RT. At least for as long as you left Byron at safety until you figured out he was a CB.

I think Byron's move is more of an acknowledgement that he isn't a good safety. Had to put him somewhere or cut him. His first round pick draft status probably buys him a year to prove himself at CB but expectations should be pretty low.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I read an interview with Stephen Jones that indicated they may look at all possible configurations of the line, including Collins at LG, or even Flemming or Martin at LG, with Collins staying at RT. Of course we don't know yet if there will be another addition to the O-Line in the draft.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Sure it improved some everything improves with practice but still a hesitation there.

Why not let him go back to the left side where he is already comfortable.

Don’t say OT cause that includes LTs which is more important we are comparing Collins at RT or LG. It is not easier to help up the middle. Ask any QB pressure in their face Is the worst. If you have a clean pocket always can step up to avoid outside pressure.

I think Collins grows to be a PB guard if moved or an average RT if left there.

There is no pro QB to ask and quite frankly pretending like you can speak for them is amusing. Tony did not like the roll out to escape the pocket which is what you do when you get pressure up the middle. Dak is not Romo and he likes to waggle. This notion that all QB think the same is asinine.

Nevermind that you completely ignored my point about sack and pressure leaders.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
There is no pro QB to ask and quite frankly pretending like you can speak for them is amusing. Tony did not like the roll out to escape the pocket which is what you do when you get pressure up the middle. Dak is not Romo and he likes to waggle. This notion that all QB think the same is asinine.

Nevermind that you completely ignored my point about sack and pressure leaders.
Don’t have to be a pro QB. I don’t have to pretend to speak for any QB I have heard enough of them say it out of their own mouth. There are several former QB on NFL Radio you could call and ask them about pressure up the middle and their pockets collapsing.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Don’t have to be a pro QB. I don’t have to pretend to speak for any QB I have heard enough of them say it out of their own mouth. There are several former QB on NFL Radio you could call and ask them about pressure up the middle and their pockets collapsing.

You able to do anything other than speaking for QBs you have no right to so?

Make believe hearsay is not as compelling as you want it to be.

diefree666

Reaction score
Its amazing to me that someone cannot appreciate how much Collins improved over the season. But then those with an agenda are usually resistant to reality.
Now I can see Fleming being promised a shot at RT and Collins having to fight that off; but to be blunt I looked at some tape of the Patriots during the playoffs and Fleming did not particularly impress me. I think Collins will beat him in a head to head competition.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Its amazing to me that someone cannot appreciate how much Collins improved over the season. But then those with an agenda are usually resistant to reality.
Now I can see Fleming being promised a shot at RT and Collins having to fight that off; but to be blunt I looked at some tape of the Patriots during the playoffs and Fleming did not particularly impress me. I think Collins will beat him in a head to head competition.
Yeah, it comes down to having the best 5. I'd prefer to keep Collins where he's at. Fleming and Martin are backup guys. Buy Fleming is getting paid starter low end starter money.

Don't know if he can play guard. We know Collins can. It'll be interesting.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
so we need 5 1st rounders to field an OL?

If you're the NE Pats probably not, but we're not talking about the Pats, we're talking about the Cowboys. Green and Bell were not 1st rounders, how did that work out? We've seen this team flourish in 2016 with a quality OL, and last year we saw them flounder with Green and Bell.
I don't want to see this offense struggle again like they did last year.

Wezsh0T

Reaction score
Should be the combination of the best five guys period. I would imagine we might see a lot of juggling players around in camp and preseason.
No guarantee they pick the right 5 after that though. I think most of us can agree that Cooper was better than Green, but Green got the start at guard early in the season.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
You able to do anything other than speaking for QBs you have no right to so?

Make believe hearsay is not as compelling as you want it to be.
I am not speaking for anyone. Just repeating what I have heard QBs say. I have no reason to make stuff up.

dallasdave

Reaction score
Given that Fleming signed only a 1-year deal, and we signed 2 guards, I think it is more likely that Collins is staying put at RT and Fleming is just swing T. Not sure we'd "upset the apple cart" for a guy we just signed for 1 year, and then have to revisit the whole OL structure again if he leaves in free agency next year.

Honestly, I think a lot will depend on the draft. If we draft an OT in first two rounds, then maybe Collins moves to LG, Fleming starts for a year at RT, and draftee takes over at RT in 2019... If we draft a G in first two rounds (or don't draft any OL in first two rounds), Collins stays put at RT, Looney/Martin/draftee battle for starting LG, and Fleming is swing T. Thoughts?
:popcorn: