Flushing and changing anti freeze

Mannix

Reaction score
I have a garage kept 2006 Chevy Silverado…29,850 actual miles…original anti freeze that still looks good and cools the inside of vehicle like a meat locker…does it need to be flushed and changed “just because” ??? The guy at the dealership told me about 5-6 years ago that it was safe to wait until 40,000 but I’m thinking he didn’t realize how long that would take me to reach that plateau given I only take it out a few times a month…please advise. I hate having people climbing around in my baby is the reason I just haven’t went ahead and had it done…had my oil changed two (2) years ago and the guy down in the pit came up top and started the truck up…made a total disaster inside with his oily and dirty fingers and pants…took me hours to clean and remove stains

Last edited:

Mannix

Reaction score
Thx for the replies! I’m believing it degrades, but it still blows ICE COLD air conditioning …and quickly…does that make sense?

Mannix

Reaction score
What about the transmission fluid? That has never been changed either, but I’m having zero issues…I’ve always heard to leave that alone on older vehicles if you are having no issues, because you can create issues. True? Is this as important to change as the antifreeze? Again, zero issues. Thx in advance!

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
What about the transmission fluid? That has never been changed either, but I’m having zero issues…I’ve always heard to leave that alone on older vehicles if you are having no issues, because you can create issues. True? Is this as important to change as the antifreeze? Again, zero issues. Thx in advance!
Check the color of your tranny fluid (engine running). If it appears to be rusty red or darker I would change it.

https://chevroletforum.com/how-tos/...l-information-and-maintenance-schedule-389373

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Do I need to check while running? So if it’s a nice color red it’s still ok?
Yes, check tranny fluid with engine running. If the fluids in the car (coolant, motor oil, transmission, brakes) have never been changed, I would change them all to give them new life.

rags747

Reaction score
Antifreeze has rust inhibitors in it that help to keep your cooling system nice and clean. Would change the trans fluid too but would not let them do a flush on it as that could dislodge some very important dirt particles!

Mannix

Reaction score
Yes, check tranny fluid with engine running. If the fluids in the car (coolant, motor oil, transmission, brakes) have never been changed, I would change them all to give them new life.
Even if it's still a real nice red??? I've always heard its kind of like an older water heater in the home, where you leave it alone if its not giving it you issues because you can create them...namely leaks....do not want to create any in the pan. Not disagreeing...just wondering aloud. Hate to change the tranny fluid if there is absolutely nothing wrong with it...definately gonna change the coolant though.

Mannix

Reaction score
Antifreeze has rust inhibitors in it that help to keep your cooling system nice and clean. Would change the trans fluid too but would not let them do a flush on it as that could dislodge some very important dirt particles!
That is why I am worried about messing with the tranny fluid....heard it can do more harm than good if it's still ok. The chevy dealership is gonna do what they want, and I'm not well versed enough to tell them how to do it.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That is why I am worried about messing with the tranny fluid....heard it can do more harm than good if it's still ok. The chevy dealership is gonna do what they want, and I'm not well versed enough to tell them how to do it.
Don’t go to a dealership, take it to Aamco or some place similar.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Even if it's still a real nice red??? I've always heard its kind of like an older water heater in the home, where you leave it alone if its not giving it you issues because you can create them...namely leaks....do not want to create any in the pan. Not disagreeing...just wondering aloud. Hate to change the tranny fluid if there is absolutely nothing wrong with it...definately gonna change the coolant though.
It's best to follow the manufacturer's recommendations. Lubricants can break down and become less effective as they age and or get normal use. Is your tranny fluid "a real nice red"? Find a reputable repair shop near you, take it in and share your concerns with them.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thx for the replies! I’m believing it degrades, but it still blows ICE COLD air conditioning …and quickly…does that make sense?
One doesn't have anything to do with the other.

Agree with the others who said it's time to change it.

Creeper

Reaction score
Needless to day, if you change your anti-freeze, dispose of the old coolant properly. Do not dump it on the ground. Animals, like dogs, find it appealing to drink and it is highly toxic.