FMIA nugget on the Cowboys and Drew Henson

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
King is retiring .......he lists this as one of the worst predictions of his career ( 40 years )

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/fmia/news/fmia-nfl-peter-king-retirement-its-time

4. 2004: “I think the Cowboys got a great deal in Drew Henson,” I wrote after Dallas traded a third-round pick to Houston for Henson, then signed the former Michigan QB to an eight-year contract with $3.4 million guaranteed (pretty good in those days). Henson threw a total of 98 NFL passes and started one game in the league.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
What stands out to me is Jerry signed him to an 8-year contract.......I'm not sure if this is true. I certainly don't remember

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Aww the good ole days. When this organization didn't waste ten years on a QB who wasn't taking them to the round table of elite teams.

1942willys

Reaction score
BP wanted nothing to do with him. That was all Jerry and his baseball kick.
One problem was he admitted early on that baseball was his first love and football was a fallback.
That said a lot there

Aven8

Reaction score
King is retiring .......he lists this as one of the worst predictions of his career ( 40 years )

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/fmia/news/fmia-nfl-peter-king-retirement-its-time

4. 2004: “I think the Cowboys got a great deal in Drew Henson,” I wrote after Dallas traded a third-round pick to Houston for Henson, then signed the former Michigan QB to an eight-year contract with $3.4 million guaranteed (pretty good in those days). Henson threw a total of 98 NFL passes and started one game in the league.
Thanks for posting. I’ve been reading King’s stuff forever. Sad to see him retire.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Drew Henson?

76a46102-c9c8-46f5-901e-5da6215d9aa2_text.gif

John813

Reaction score
Henson and the Cowboys agreed on an eight-year contract that will void to four years with modest playing time. In all eight years of the deal, the former New York Yankees third baseman will make a guaranteed minimum salary. In 2004, Henson's salary will be $238,000.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=1758167

Don't recall if there were any funny cap tricks back in 2004 CBA in regards to this contract.

Creeper

Reaction score

This is who King really is. He is not very good at football. His columns are more about his fluff than real football coverage.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
That was a looooong read, albeit a good one.

Oh, the Drew Henson days. I remember having so much hope for him. lol Crazy where the time goes.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I vividly remember when Henson played in his one start. I remember hoping/praying that Henson and Julius Jones would turn into the next generation of Staubach/Dorsett or Aikman/Emmitt.
Good times.
Good memory, I must of blocked that nightmare out. :laugh::thumbup:

rags747

Reaction score
I liked King and his MMQB. Its when he got into topics outside of his knowledge base that I realized how damaged he really is!

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
I vividly remember when Henson played in his one start. I remember hoping/praying that Henson and Julius Jones would turn into the next generation of Staubach/Dorsett or Aikman/Emmitt.
Good times.
Was that the Testaverde season. I think he lasted one half before Parcells said enough is enough. He almost ruined it for Romo