FMIA nugget on the Cowboys and Drew Henson

tunahelper

Reaction score
I vividly remember when Henson played in his one start. I remember hoping/praying that Henson and Julius Jones would turn into the next generation of Staubach/Dorsett or Aikman/Emmitt.
Good times.
I think he was worth the look. Everyone thought he had talent but he chose baseball. Turned out he was not the answer.

Chasing6

Reaction score
BP wanted nothing to do with him. That was all Jerry and his baseball kick.
One problem was he admitted early on that baseball was his first love and football was a fallback.
That said a lot there
Bill had very specific requirements for a QB coming out of college, designed to reduce the risk of drafting QB. I wish GM Jeruh would have learned those requirements.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think he was worth the look. Everyone thought he had talent but he chose baseball. Turned out he was not the answer.
I think that’s typically a sign of a guy chooses baseball and “settles” for football? Not even worth a look though think there have been some success stories but not since the 80s.

leeblair

Reaction score
I vividly remember when Henson played in his one start. I remember hoping/praying that Henson and Julius Jones would turn into the next generation of Staubach/Dorsett or Aikman/Emmitt.
Good times.
Henson should have been a starter in the NFL, but he didn't play ball with Parcells mind games.
Romo did, and Henson got cut, but he played well when he had his chances.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
To be fair, we were so starved for a decent QB back then.

He was compared to guys like Elway and Aikman.This is a guy who beat out Tom Brady at Michigan. 6'4" 235 with a cannon for a right arm.

I followed him around at training camp one year. I wanted him to be good so badly. Instead, some kid wearing #9 was routinely outshining Henson and Quincy Carter.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I recall being furious with Parcells for refusing to play Henson.

We all learned why.

J817

Reaction score
Drew Henson? Back in the days when the Cowboys were afraid to spend a first round draft pick on a QB.

Oh wait................
If I remember correctly (and I may not be). We traded a bunch of 1st round picks for the great Joey Galloway. Which is why Jerry had to be creative when finding a QB (Drew Henson, Chad Hutchinson, drafting Quincy in the 2nd round etc…). So back then it wasn’t an option to draft a first round QB.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
If I remember correctly (and I may not be). We traded a bunch of 1st round picks for the great Joey Galloway. Which is why Jerry had to be creative when finding a QB (Drew Henson, Chad Hutchinson, drafting Quincy in the 2nd round etc…). So back then it wasn’t an option to draft a first round QB.
I’m pretty certain that if Dallas had a first in 2001, Jerry would have tried his damndest to trade up for Michael Vick.