FO: Any Given Sunday (DAL at DEN)

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I didn't like the decision to punt in the 4th quarter...

Or the punt on the Broncos 39 yard line when we had 4th and 3. We punted away, into the end zone, and it made for a whopping 19 yard difference.

It's decisions like that which make me think we'll never even go to a Super Bowl with Garrett as the head coach. He plays not to lose instead of playing to win.

YR

Wezsh0T

Reaction score
The punt early that netted 20 yards was questionable. The dummy that stood in the end zone to down it should've paid attention in school. One of the needlessly stupid plays I've seen.

Who was that?
Xaiver Woods

Wezsh0T

Reaction score
I'm going to give credit to the Broncos game plan. It appeared we did exactly what the Broncos hoped we'd do and then it got out of hand when our WRs couldn't get separation and it was all on Daks shoulders to make pinpoint passes against 2 of the better corners in the game.

Dak needs a few more years like Brady had before he should be expected to execute in that type of situation. Zeke is a problem at the moment. Have to get his head on right and feed him regardless of how many are in the box. The o-line must not get pushed around or we will get thumped again by the Cards.

I expect a bounce back, hard fought game with the Cards.
So what were the coaches talking about during the 1 hour weather delay? You'd think they would have done something to change the game plan. It was obvious in the 1st quarter that we couldn't run on what Denver was doing.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Can we please. It changed the momentum and was not the right call.

What do they expect him to do? Not jump? Remove his hands and fall forward?? The dude went under him. I guess that's all you have to do now. Go low while engaged and make them lean on your back.
That's is EXACTLY what happened.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Exactly, that should have been downed at the 1.

Chris jones had six punts inside the 10 versus the giants and people cant understand why they punted there. I just shake my head.
Yeah. I guess I'm letting the result taint my view. It was a good decision and a good punt. Cant see how a pro makes that mistake. Rookie or not. The rules are the same going back to pee wee.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Yeah. I guess I'm letting the result taint my view. It was a good decision and a good punt. Cant see how a pro makes that mistake. Rookie or not. The rules are the same going back to pee wee.

It happens. I am sure he will correct it.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can’t go for it on your 25. I think the rule of thumb is once you cross the 40. They converted a 4th and 1 and a 4th and 4 in the game so it’s not like they won’t go on fourth, it’s just that you have to cross the 40 first.

Like I said before if they get a stop on three downs Denver punts from their own end zone there and you probably have the ball at your 45 or so. They didn’t get the stop however.
Of course you can go for it on your 25 at that point of the game, "rule of thumb" or no. The likelihood that they would stop Denver without a 1st down multiple times in a row (because that's what they would need to happen) was incredibly low - Denver had one 3-and-out all day. The offense needed every possible second remaining on the clock to have a chance.

Rules of thumb are for general situations (and the punting rule of thumb in the NFL is badly flawed, anyway). It's not relevant to playing catch-up late in the game.

WarDaddy

kidcrook
Reaction score
Absolutely. I forced myself into a rewatch and was honestly surprised at the amount of two deep they played. I haven't seen the charting but it seems they're playing it much more than they did last year. They played it a lot in game one as well and the Giants had guys open but Eli couldn't find them. I think part of it is being shorthanded right now and I'm not sure how much everyone knows on the back end. It also seems like Heath is hurting them somewhat with his skillset preventing substantial run support.

Lots of hurt corners and a severely slowed down Safety (Byron Jones - he's getting killed this week when he was found to have a groin injury earlier in the week) caused the defense to be very conservative. It had to be called that way just because we just didn't have the horses to do what we normally do.

This game was like the perfect storm. We were thin at the absolute worst positions against his particular team. The butt whipping was inevitable. You can't win em all.