News: FO: Dallas has Worst Special Teams in NFL

ondaedg

Reaction score
Then we die in the red zone. 17th in Red zone passing percentage. The numbers don't take in account if its raining so........

Your constant Dak bashing is already old and lame. We get it you don't like him. Move along already.

ksadler1

Reaction score
Another interesting stat - we haven't returned a kickoff for a td since Wade was HC.

I remember one or two that got called back for penalties, but l can't remember if they were punt or kickoff returns...

ondaedg

Reaction score
I told some idiot in here a few weeks back that Cowboys special teams was just awful and he argued that they were solid ya ok he really knows the Cowboys!

Solid is just another way of saying " I don't know much about them but since you're a Cowboys fan I'm going to give them the vaguest compliment I can. "

shabazz

Reaction score
Your constant Dak bashing is already old and lame. We get it you don't like him. Move along already.

Buffalo and Bears coming up. We aren't going anywhere. Better put us on ignore

conner01

Reaction score
I told some idiot in here a few weeks back that Cowboys special teams was just awful and he argued that they were solid ya ok he really knows the Cowboys!
Solidly bad lol
More like historically bad

fivetwos

Reaction score
If I'm Garrett, hearing clearly how my job is on the line, and assuming he knows how bad the ST is (although not a safe assumption), I insert at least 2-3 starters to help out on ST.

Think he does that?? Haha no chance. None. Not sure who is more stubborn, him or Jerry.

No innovation, thought, creativity, scheming to a specific opponent, and on and on.

Its mind bogglingly frustrating and ridiculous.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2019/week-12-dvoa-ratings

The Football Outsiders DVOA rankings are out. Dallas slipped from #4 to #5 overall, #6 in weighted DVOA, which counts recent games more heavily. The top teams are BAL, NE, SF, KC, NO and DAL.

The offense fell from #1 to #2, behind Baltimore. Hard to argue with that.
The defense is #19, which, sure, sounds about right. Pretty good at keeping other teams out of the end zone, terrible at taking the ball away.
After the debacle in NE, special teams dropped to #32, worst in the league, and it's not particularly close. Our ST's DVOA is -4.0%; next-worst is -3.1% and third-worst is -2.8%. Just horrendous.

We're actually average in FG/XP (16th), kickoffs (18th) and punt returns (19th). We're horrible at kickoff returns (almost twice as bad as the second-worst team) and punts (third-worst); blocks and allowing long returns will do that to you.
It's okay, Jerry knows about it now.:thumbup:

ondaedg

Reaction score
If I'm Garrett, hearing clearly how my job is on the line, and assuming he knows how bad the ST is (although not a safe assumption), I insert at least 2-3 starters to help out on ST.

Think he does that?? Haha no chance. None. Not sure who is more stubborn, him or Jerry.

No innovation, thought, creativity, scheming to a specific opponent, and on and on.

That's Garrett's MO right? He struggles to adjust whether it's during or between games. Or he adjusts and slides back to his old habits. Let's see if JJ raining fire is enough push to see him make some changes in time for tomorrow.

ondaedg

Reaction score
I remember one or two that got called back for penalties, but l can't remember if they were punt or kickoff returns...

We've had several punt returns for td under Garrett. Zero kickoff returns tho. The special teams dropoff this year is off the charts though. Worst in punt average, kick returns and among the worst in several other key categories. What is really disappointing is the lack of improvement over the season culminating with the punt block.

ksadler1

Reaction score

With all due respect, how are starters supposed to help on STs when they can't even tackle on regular duties?

Fire407

Reaction score
Troy was just using common sense when he pointed out the Pollard was lining up at the goal line when everyone knew the kickoffs were coming up short in that direction. Troy wasn't some HC that was figuring out some complex strategy. He was just pointing out what was obvious. If the Patriots had recovered the ball, it might have gone down as one of the biggest blunders by this coaching staff or any coaching staff.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After the debacle in NE, special teams dropped to #32, worst in the league, and it's not particularly close. Our ST's DVOA is -4.0%; next-worst is -3.1% and third-worst is -2.8%. Just horrendous.
Anyone who was paying attention to the Patriots game could have seen the ineptitude of the Cowboys special teams.

I've seen better special teams play from high school teams.

lockster

Reaction score
Year O'Quinn is gone for sure.
This could/should be a bloody off-season as far as the coaches on this team go. Who will remain, and who gets the dreaded pink-slip.
Cause - it's coming !
I think O Quinn is only the second at fault on special teams, whoever let him take over unprepared, obviously didn't recognize what a special teams coach needs to know.