FO: Word of Muth: Dallas in the Rear-View

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
As others have mentioned previously, if McFadden is top 5 than you must be doing something right. They have also allowed the least amount of pressures, so there is that. However, they lead the league in false starts and have been terrible on third and short situations, as well as goal line situations.

The good news is that they have time to improve as they are all really young. I do think they missed Callahan though. I also think that Tony gets them out of a lot of situations and puts them in situations that allows them to use their strengths. They didn't have that this year.

Terrible on short yardage cause we run the same play over and over. No roll outs, no QB sneak, no play action pass. The same run play up the middle. Play calling is what's the problem

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
Terrible on short yardage cause we run the same play over and over. No roll outs, no QB sneak, no play action pass. The same run play up the middle. Play calling is what's the problem

Yup. We bring in our jumbo package and the only thing it assures is that we aren't going to pick up the first down. Yet, we do it extremely often. Why not do something else?

Or, maybe pass from under center? Or run from shotgun? I dunno. It's ridiculous how predictable we are out of the formation we come to the line in.

coach steele

Reaction score

Play calling has been limited by personnel. If players can't execute (Weeden, Castle, or Moore) it takes away the pass threat and makes us more predictable. Second problem has been La'el being a rookie. On several of those plays, he played too high or he missed assignments. Last year we were 12-4 with same play caller. It also helps when we have Romo who can look over a defense, identify the weakness, and choose between two plays. He typically chooses the play that exploits the weakness. Our QB's couldn't do that and is the major reason we are 4-12. Poor QB play. Romo is better than what many have wanted to give him credit for.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
I meant to say "offensive line" in the thread title. And many people have been criticizing the o-line, too, and this article basically absolves them of blame.

Anyone that's been paying attention knows if you have no threat of a passing game it's impossible to run the football as effective as last season. With that being said McFadden has 1000 yards and they've given up 29 sacks , that's fewer than last season !!!

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Anyone that's been paying attention knows if you have no threat of a passing game it's impossible to run the football as effective as last season. With that being said McFadden has 1000 yards and they've given up 29 sacks , that's fewer than last season !!!

And they've given up the fewest QB pressures in the league despite the QB'ing (tough to not give up a pressure if your QB doesn't have pocket presence) and the scheme is designed to hold onto the ball for a long amount of time than most NFL teams.

It's the best O-Line in the NFL. We're just seeing that winning in the trenches can only take you so far.

YR

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Play calling has been limited by personnel. If players can't execute (Weeden, Castle, or Moore) it takes away the pass threat and makes us more predictable. Second problem has been La'el being a rookie. On several of those plays, he played too high or he missed assignments. Last year we were 12-4 with same play caller. It also helps when we have Romo who can look over a defense, identify the weakness, and choose between two plays. He typically chooses the play that exploits the weakness. Our QB's couldn't do that and is the major reason we are 4-12. Poor QB play. Romo is better than what many have wanted to give him credit for.

Thats false. Weeden has a cannon of a arm but yet they only threw 10 yard passes.

Collins is not a reason our play calling was garbage.

coach steele

Reaction score
Thats false. Weeden has a cannon of a arm but yet they only threw 10 yard passes.

Collins is not a reason our play calling was garbage.

If you are saying that Weeden has a strong arm, I agree. If you are telling me he's a good QB, I will not waste my time writing back as you are either blind or crazy.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
If you are saying that Weeden has a strong arm, I agree. If you are telling me he's a good QB, I will not waste my time writing back as you are either blind or crazy.

Never said Weeden was a good QB. What is wrong with you people making up what you think I said. Read what I wrote......Weeden has a cannon, nowhere does it say anything close to Weeden is a good QB.

Don't write me back anyways since you can't read

coach steele

Reaction score
Never said Weeden was a good QB. What is wrong with you people making up what you think I said. Read what I wrote......Weeden has a cannon, nowhere does it say anything close to Weeden is a good QB.

Don't write me back anyways since you can't read

Reread what I said. I spoke about execution, which you responded by saying "that's false, he has a cannon." I then asked a clarifying question.

Now, let me clarify my point. Just because someone has a cannon doesn't mean they can play QB. If you don't have a QB, it affects your play calling (passing and running) and thus affects results.

khiladi

Reaction score
We can't score in the red zone.. So as good as our OL is, when we needed to punch it in, we couldn't.

So if our OL is great, than why wouldn't we score? It's a rhetorical question really...

Also, I'm willing to bet a bunch of sacks were because of free runners on blitzes.. And no matter how great your line is, they can't block guys unaccounted for.. And when your pass plays are long developing routes, your also not doing them favors..

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
You can't make heads or tails of this season's offense without breaking down every play. And knowing more than I suspect most anyone here knows. No passing offense means cheating on the run, more run blitzes, games etc.

I hope to hell we don't have another year like this last one.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
We can't score in the red zone.. So as good as our OL is, when we needed to punch it in, we couldn't.

So if our OL is great, than why wouldn't we score? It's a rhetorical question really...

Also, I'm willing to bet a bunch of sacks were because of free runners on blitzes.. And no matter how great your line is, they can't block guys unaccounted for.. And when your pass plays are long developing routes, your also not doing them favors..

And this is exactly where no pass game hurts you the most. Or vice versa. You cannot be one dimensional in this league. We had no OL for a long time. Remember the gymnastics around the GL then trying to score by the pass. We finally get an OL and we lose our passing game.

Still we could be a bit better even without Romo. It ain't all one thing.

Last edited:

Staubacher

Reaction score
You can't make heads or tails of this season's offense without breaking down every play. And knowing more than I suspect most anyone here knows. No passing offense means cheating on the run, more run blitzes, games etc.

I hope to hell we don't have another year like this last one.

My worst year as a Cowboy fan based on expectations vis a vis how low we sunk.