FO: Word of Muth: Dallas in the Rear-View

Staubacher

Reaction score
We had no OL for a long time. Remember the gymnastics around the GL then trying to score by the pass. We finally get an OL and we lose our passing game.

4a65fac217cbb981cefde54ab4bdd4b119bcb40d0a08cf3ffe10acd345275c60.jpg

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Reread what I said. I spoke about execution, which you responded by saying "that's false, he has a cannon." I then asked a clarifying question.

Now, let me clarify my point. Just because someone has a cannon doesn't mean they can play QB. If you don't have a QB, it affects your play calling (passing and running) and thus affects results.

I merely said Weeden has a cannon but play calling was the problem. Never once said he was a great QB

vaturkey

Reaction score
It was interesting watching Bama last night put two Defensive Lineman in the backfield as lead blockers for Henry. Talk about power. Wonder why we can't consider that. More then one team in this league does stuff like that. Patriots have been doing it for years. I don't care how good our O-Line is. You can't have the other team run blitzing on the goal line and you are trying to stop them with your two tight ends. Both our tight ends are good wall blockers/edge blockers, but they aren't going to blow a defensive lineman back a yard or two. That takes real power.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
It was interesting watching Bama last night put two Defensive Lineman in the backfield as lead blockers for Henry. Talk about power. Wonder why we can't consider that. More then one team in this league does stuff like that. Patriots have been doing it for years. I don't care how good our O-Line is. You can't have the other team run blitzing on the goal line and you are trying to stop them with your two tight ends. Both our tight ends are good wall blockers/edge blockers, but they aren't going to blow a defensive lineman back a yard or two. That takes real power.

Teams have done this since the 40s. It's too predictable to do it a lot but it seems to work at times well.

coach steele

Reaction score
I merely said Weeden has a cannon but play calling was the problem. Never once said he was a great QB

Could it be that he sucks and that "having a Cannon" means nothing if you're a bad decision maker who can't see the field? He also didn't have a lot from his WR's who dropped a bunch of balls from him (caught caugh TWILL), and no Dez.

Reaction score
The mods can delete/move this thread if it's been covered already, but I just read this article from Football Outsiders. A nice perspective on our o-line:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/word-muth/2015/word-muth-dallas-rear-view

Sorry- Forget to type "line" in the thread title.

Thanks for posting, Muth is always worth reading. If he says Free is "good enough", just slightly overpaid, then maybe I need to dial back my frustration with Free. We really do need to get a more reliable swing tackle on the roster though, Chaz is inexperienced and a complete unknown that Dallas shouldnt be rolling the dice with,,, can you imagine having to move Free to left tackle and Chaz at right tackle if Smith got hurt? That would be an epic injury,,, almost on the scale of losing your only playable QB for the year.

Verdict

Reaction score
Very good. Very, very good, even. It's the least of our worries. I suppose we need Chaz Green to pan out and take Free's job but this is on the backburner right now. This offseason for me is all about finding a new set of triplets.

And hopefully replacing Jason Witten.

~holy water splash in the face~

I may have talked out of turn.

I think it is past time to move on from Witten, personally. But that's just me.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
I think it is past time to move on from Witten, personally. But that's just me.

Agreed 100%. I think this staff lacks the courage/power to make tough decisions. The routes that witten runs are easy short and intermediate routes that most above avg tight ends can run and he can no longer break tackles. I think he is a progress stopper. The coach will never have the balls to sit witten nust like he didnt have the balls to make mcfadden the starter.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
We can't score in the red zone.. So as good as our OL is, when we needed to punch it in, we couldn't.

So if our OL is great, than why wouldn't we score?
Don't worry, our OL is great. To echo what jobberone already said, we needed a passing threat. Defenses simply load up on the run when they know you can't pass. Even as bad as our passing game was this year, we managed to rank 6th in short-yardage runs as late as week 11. We're down to 18th now, but that's not where we'd be with our normal passing game in tact. Also, some more creative play calling wouldn't have hurt when it still mattered.

Dallas ranks 7th in yards per carry, 8th in stuffs allowed, 8th in fewest pressures per dropback, and 1st in TOP. That's all because of the offensive line. Last year, when we got inside the 10-yard line, we passed for 14 conversions on 28 attempts (50%), and ran for only 11 conversions on 29 attempts (37.9%). This year, that passing threat is a distant memory, and we're one-dimensional without a whole lot of creativity within that.

khiladi

Reaction score
Don't worry, our OL is great. To echo what jobberone already said, we needed a passing threat. Defenses simply load up on the run when they know you can't pass. Even as bad as our passing game was this year, we managed to rank 6th in short-yardage runs as late as week 11. We're down to 18th now, but that's not where we'd be with our normal passing game in tact. Also, some more creative play calling wouldn't have hurt when it still mattered.

Dallas ranks 7th in yards per carry, 8th in stuffs allowed, 8th in fewest pressures per dropback, and 1st in TOP. That's all because of the offensive line. Last year, when we got inside the 10-yard line, we passed for 14 conversions on 28 attempts (50%), and ran for only 11 conversions on 29 attempts (37.9%). This year, that passing threat is a distant memory, and we're one-dimensional without a whole lot of creativity within that.

I agree.. I was just implicating play-calling..