***Fonoti traded to Vikings merged***

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
Portland Fanatic said:
Absolute steal is right.....

24 year old that went to Probowl last year...and the reason he is not playing now is because of his broken hand. He should be able to take the field in a week.
I was thinking at least a 4th for him, but a 6th or a 7th :eek: I am amazed.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Portland Fanatic said:

24 year old that went to Probowl last year...and the reason he is not playing now is because of his broken hand. He should be able to take the field in a week.

There's more here.

I could see if it was just us who passed but if all San Diego got was a conditional 7th that could be a 6th, that would mean that vertually everybody passed on this guy. Something has to be up with Fonoti.

Hiero

Reaction score
man i am just shocked we didnt get this guy, they basically gave away a pro bowl caliber 24 year old beast, and the cowboys with some OL problems, even though guard isnt the most important position, didnt even try to get him.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I think posters are overreacting and ABQCowboy is right.

There's more here than meets the eye. You mean to tell me that only the Vikings put a bid in for Fonoti and only for a 7th round conditional pick? :eek:

If more teams thought highly of him, don't you think the Chargers would have upped the ante? Don't you think the Chargers would have called the Cowboys - knowing Dallas just lost Flozell for the season - and bartered a better deal than a 7th?

He may not be as highly rated as everyone thinks he is. I just can't believe he went that cheap if there isn't some justifiable reason.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
with that hair? Maybe he smells real bad. Doesn't shower?

Hiero

Reaction score
I think the only reason is because he has an injury not sure what his status is. guy probably would need to lose some weight, which isnt a big problem when the coach is Parcells. Only 24 and he could have been had for a 6th or 7th.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Hiero said:
I think the only reason is because he has an injury not what his status is. guy probably would need to lose some weight, which isnt a big problem when the coach is Parcells. Only 24 and he could have been had for a 6th or 7th.

I believe that all he has is a broken hand. That's not an injury that's going to prevent him from playing.

Kilyin

Reaction score
Guard to Tackle isn't a stretch. No sense crying over spilled milk though, eh.

Hiero

Reaction score
Even if he didnt play tackle he could still play guard as backup and or starter eventually.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Chargers have traded guard Toniu Fonoti to the Minnesota Vikings for a seventh-round choice in 2006 that could be upgraded to a sixth-rounder if certain conditions are met, ESPN.com's John Clayton reports.

The Vikings and Saints were the two teams most involved in the final negotiations of the trade that came down within the final half-hour of the trade deadline, which is 4 p.m. ET on Tuesday. Both teams were looking for some help at guard.

Fonoti, 24, is a 6-4, 350-pound mauler who is scheduled to be a free agent after the season. He's expected to be one of the better guards on the market.

Talks of a long-term deal broke up between the Chargers and Fonoti a couple weeks ago. The team was willing to trade him because he was going to leave after the season.

He's been sidelined in the past month because of hand surgery and is about a week away from playing.

He was a second-round choice of the Chargers in 2002.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2195073

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Paniolo22 said:
Steal! He was the best run blocker on the chargers. Set records for pancakes at Nebraska.

no he wasnt, if he were, he'd still be a Charger

they couldnt wait to get rid of him

I'm not sure why everyone here thinks this guy is the 2nd coming of Larry Allen of John Hannah...he's alot closer to Kelvin Garmon or Solomon Page, and maybe not even them...at least those guys were usually in shape...Fonoti is a huge lard arse

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Portland Fanatic said:

dont you think if the Chargers believed he were really that good, they'd have kept him to help THEIR TEAM???

I know this concept is hard for some to grasp, but they apparently couldnt wait to get rid of the guy

David

baj1dallas

Reaction score
What makes you guys think he'd re-sign without testing the free agent waters?

Not to mention the injury. Yeesh.

You guys have no faith in your own team's FO...understandable if you were Lions or Rams fans....just ridiculous here.

You guys got no idea how good you have it. You're spoiled.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
We need a OT not a guard.

We have Peterman, Noll and Gurode can play guard in an emergency. Who you cutting to trade for Fonuti.

I will forever picture Fonuti and Gurode together - both were the "road graders" of the 2002 draft I believe it was. I wince as I type those words.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Eddie said:
Minny will re-sign him for cheap.

Let's see the Chargers broke off contract talks with him b/c he wanted too much money. Now Minny is going to get him to sign for cheap?

Also, in case no one noticed, we've got a ton of money tied up in guards - we are stuck with what we have there for a while.

marchetta

Reaction score
According to www.gbnreport.com, Toniu Fonoti was traded to Minnesota for a 7th rd pick. I've never seen him play professionally, but he must be pretty bad if he's only worth a 7th rd pick. I've seen several posts about us picking him up. I just want to know, is he really this bad, or is he coming back from some major injury?

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
little late aren't we!