Food for thought

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
rojan said:
If you guys are insulted by the geezer thing I wasnt the one that started it...I just wanted to prove my point they way the others did..It feels like I am in a Commanders chatroom with a star tatooed to my chest...It seems that I cant post something without being harassed..I bet you guys cant even remember what I said to start this bashing

Hey Rojan...I don't have a clue as to what you said before, nor am I going to look, keep in mind we have folks that like to joke and tease in this room. I would not get to caught up if someone says something smart arse....just need thick skin.

I'm still trying to figure out if I'm a Gezzer or wipper snapper...CBZ...what do you think? lol

kartr

Reaction score
blindzebra said:
As a "geezer" I have a few things for you.

How in the hell will changing the uniform improve the team?

Geezers 1, whipper-snappers 0

Every person against the 3-4 argued about personnel, we did not have it before this offseason, and I have yet to see one logical argument to defend replacing Glover's snaps with Shanle.

Geezers 2, whipper-snappers 0

Bledsoe is a younger Vinny, great QBs do not lose their jobs to 6th round picks and untested rookies.

Geezers 3, whipper-snappers 0

No get out of my yard.:D

And I might add, just changing to the 3-4 won't cure your pass rush problems.

jsond

Reaction score
I fear change but have no problem with most of em. However...dont change the jerseys!

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
swear... one might almost be led to believe that many of the posters here actually enjoy being a 6-10 team for life. I've never seen so many geezers afraid of change. So convinced that it will only bring about a negative result.
What does the 3-4 have to do with being 6-10? No, I hate being 6-10. I want this team back in contention, pronto. I just don't get the logic of taking Glover off the field and moving Ellis out of position just to add Keith O'Neil or some other scrub like Shanle on the field. It doesn't make sense to me. I agree with JJT, this team is a year way from being ready to play the 3-4.

As for the jerseys, if I had my way we'd go back to the expansion jerseys. I loved those.

And Bledsoe.. my signature tells it all. I'm psyched about the acquisition, and think he'll be the come back player of the year this year.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
3-4 Change is GREAT and many were dead against it going back to old board. Get off the fence pole sitters.

Bledsoe - upgrade.

Uniforms - I like the throwback's used on Turkey day

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Glover is going to sit for 30% of the plays whether we play 4-3 or 3-4. Shanle very well could be the starting SLB in the 4-3 as well. The analogy is stupid.

A defensive line rotation is a good thing.

While Glover is not a liability against the run he is certainly not a force. On the other hand Ferguson is.

So Ferguson plays on first down? I do not see what the big deal is.

The success of the scheme will be whether the defensive linemen can force double teams.

I think Spears, Ferguson, Ellis, Glover, and Canty can.

Really the key to the success is going to be Roy Williams. With him playing close to the line of scrimmage, its going to be scary.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Nors said:
3-4 Change is GREAT and many were dead against it going back to old board. Get off the fence pole sitters.

Bledsoe - upgrade.

Uniforms - I like the throwback's used on Turkey day
A pole sitter is someone who in a car race qualified as the fastest.

:grin:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins said:
Glover is going to sit for 30% of the plays whether we play 4-3 or 3-4. Shanle very well could be the starting SLB in the 4-3 as well. The analogy is stupid.

A defensive line rotation is a good thing.

While Glover is not a liability against the run he is certainly not a force. On the other hand Ferguson is.

So Ferguson plays on first down? I do not see what the big deal is.

The success of the scheme will be whether the defensive linemen can force double teams.

I think Spears, Ferguson, Ellis, Glover, and Canty can.

Really the key to the success is going to be Roy Williams. With him playing close to the line of scrimmage, its going to be scary.

The interesting thing here is that Glover is a force in a 43/46, if used in tandom with a strong 1 or 2 technique DT. Ferguson, while a very compitant NT, is really better as the 1 or 2 technique DT IMO. Ellis and Glover will not be a force in a 34, IMHO. I think they can man the DE positions but I don't see them as dominating players in any case. I do believe that they can both be a force in a 43/46. It just suits there game a bit better IMO.

blindzebra

Reaction score
rojan said:
I dont got time for this I have a job interview in an hour...If you would have gotten past the spellin errors and got to the point we could have had a good debate about it....I gotta admit I only started following the Cowboys the year Rocket Ismail was signed and the 1st game I saw was that Amazing come from behind season opener vs the Commanders..So I cant remember Parcells in his NY Giant days so you probly have a point...But if Jerry Jones is man enough to admit he made a mistake and go with the flow of the Greatest Coach in History well than I dont understand why you cant...I have confedence in Parcells and suppost his every move....Now I really gotta go but no hard feelings BZ...Ill be back on later on but I got a job Interview I gotta get to...Wish me luck

Go Cowboys!!!!

The written word makes it very difficult to judge the actual intent of the text. Without inflection and facial expressions, you are left to guess, which is why we have these things...:D ;) :rolleyes: and why we use bold, or BOLD or if we really want to make a point

BOLD.:D

Trust me rojan, you'd know if I was not messing with you.;)

rojan

Reaction score
Im back from my job interview and I see the debate has begun...The 1st thing I said was that the cowboys are subing Glover for Parcells...Think about it...He knows how to run the 3-4..If Glover was in than all they have to do is double him and he is out of the game..But with the 3-4 Parcells will be finding mis-matches all day long and keepin the O-Line on their toes, never knowing who is dropin back and who is blitzing..With that said the QB will have to hold the ball longer and there will be more blown assignment by the O-line creating a better oppurtunity for th pass rush to get to the QB...My second point was that if Jerry Jones in man enough to admit he is wrong and go with the flow of Parcells than why cant we...We are only gettin the minimal info about the team and Parcells wouldnt just change the Defence unless he is sure it will be of help...It goes way past takin out a Dlineman in favor of a LB..Ovoiusly Parcells knows how to work with the 3-4, he has won championships with it..He is trying to make it harder for the Opposing coach to gameplan against us..But I do know that if Parcells isnt getin what he expects from the 3-4 he will not have a problem going back to the 4-3(remember Henson on Thanksgiven).. Parcells has a reputation of being one of the smartest coaches in NFL history so we should give him more credit than we are.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
rojan said:
Im back from my job interview and I see the debate has begun...The 1st thing I said was that the cowboys are subing Glover for Parcells...Think about it...He knows how to run the 3-4..If Glover was in than all they have to do is double him and he is out of the game..But with the 3-4 Parcells will be finding mis-matches all day long and keepin the O-Line on their toes, never knowing who is dropin back and who is blitzing..With that said the QB will have to hold the ball longer and there will be more blown assignment by the O-line creating a better oppurtunity for th pass rush to get to the QB...My second point was that if Jerry Jones in man enough to admit he is wrong and go with the flow of Parcells than why cant we...We are only gettin the minimal info about the team and Parcells wouldnt just change the Defence unless he is sure it will be of help...It goes way past takin out a Dlineman in favor of a LB..Ovoiusly Parcells knows how to work with the 3-4, he has won championships with it..He is trying to make it harder for the Opposing coach to gameplan against us..But I do know that if Parcells isnt getin what he expects from the 3-4 he will not have a problem going back to the 4-3(remember Henson on Thanksgiven).. Parcells has a reputation of being one of the smartest coaches in NFL history so we should give him more credit than we are.

I don't know that I agree. I think that we have enough young talnet to insure that Glover gets blocked heads up the majority of the time in a 43. Fact is, I honetly believe that our defense will be very tough to stop if you have Glover, Ellis, Ferguson, Spears, Ware, Burnett and Williams all on the field at the same time. All of these guys have the ability to rush the passer. Unless you max protect, I don't think you can stop them all.

rojan

Reaction score
I cant remember a time under Zimmer that we had a good pass rush....his sceme seems to conservative...In Parcells 1st year the only way we got a good rush was when we were suicide Blitzing on 3rd and longs..Im not tryin tosay that if Parcells is going it than he has to be right but he has more of a feel for his team than we do..I do not understand Wares position if we go to a 4-3 Does he come off the feild ply DE or LB??

blindzebra

Reaction score
rojan said:
I cant remember a time under Zimmer that we had a good pass rush....his sceme seems to conservative...In Parcells 1st year the only way we got a good rush was when we were suicide Blitzing on 3rd and longs..Im not tryin tosay that if Parcells is going it than he has to be right but he has more of a feel for his team than we do..I dones understanf Wares position in a 4-3 will he be a DE or LB??

It's not scheme, it's personnel. You can't make chicken salad from chicken stuff.

We have the type of talent and depth, that we would have a very good rush from the 4-3.

In a 3-4 you tie up the DL and you lose Glover. Your pass rush will basically come from Ware, Burnett and Williams.

In a 4-3 you get Spears, Ferguson, Glover and Ellis together. That is a good push up the middle and pretty solid edges. You also get Ware, Burnett and Williams on blitzes. 7 potentially good pass rushers together where their talents best fit.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
rojan said:
I cant remember a time under Zimmer that we had a good pass rush....his sceme seems to conservative...In Parcells 1st year the only way we got a good rush was when we were suicide Blitzing on 3rd and longs..Im not tryin tosay that if Parcells is going it than he has to be right but he has more of a feel for his team than we do..I do not understand Wares position if we go to a 4-3 Does he come off the feild ply DE or LB??

Ware would play OLB. He may eventually play DE, if he continues to grow but right now, he has the size to play Sam Backer in a 43 and he has the agility to play Will Backer as well.

rojan

Reaction score
Do you remember our second last year we were 5-11, the year before Glover come to us via Free Agency..well our talent on defence was hourible..We had Ekuban Noble Myers Ellis on our D-line and no secondary whatsoever...but because of Zimmers scheme we finished (Im perty shure) 5th in total defence..I do believe that scheme can be substituted for talent..that is what Parcells is trying to do now...Just think Patriots...If any of there players were to go to another team they would never be know as well as they are now..But the scheme that they are in gives them the OPPURTUNIY(sp?) to make plays.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
rojan said:
Do you remember our second last year we were 5-11, the year before Glover come to us via Free Agency..well our talent on defence was hourible..We had Ekuban Noble Myers Ellis on our D-line and no secondary whatsoever...but because of Zimmers scheme we finished (Im perty shure) 5th in total defence..I do believe that scheme can be substituted for talent..that is what Parcells is trying to do now...Just think Patriots...If any of there players were to go to another team they would never be know as well as they are now..But the scheme that they are in gives them the OPPURTUNIY(sp?) to make plays.

Good defenses create turn overs. I think your mistaken. I agree, Zimmer did a good job with not much. having said that, we didn't draft the kind of players we have on defense to sit back and react. From here on out, our defensive mind set is attack. I am confident in this.

blindzebra

Reaction score
rojan said:

Well if Zimmer's scheme made these bad players into a competitive defense, what could he do with real talent?

You can scheme anything, but without the players or players suited for the scheme it won't amount to much. Atlanta went 3-4 with awful results, switched back to the 4-3, with almost the exact same roster, and became a sack and turnover machine.

NE's players get short changed in the Bellichick hype.