Football Expert.com March 6 Dallas 7 round draft (with comments)

Angus

Reaction score
The Football Expert.com
2008 NFL Mock Draft - 7 Rounds
by Gregory Cox
Director of College Football and NFL Analysis
3/6/08

22) Dallas (via Cleveland) – CB Aqib Talib (Kansas)
Dreams of Darren McFadden danced in the head of Jerry Jones when he traded with Cleveland last year, but the Browns had a surprise 10-6 season to ruin his plans. Can anyone name the third Cowboy corner? If you want to win a Super Bowl against the likes of the Packers, Colts and Patriots it is a good idea to have enough players to cover their receivers. They are looking to part with Nate Jones and already let Jacques Reeves leave for Houston. I’d say they would welcome someone who can pick off a few passes and Talib had 11 in his final 23 games for the Jayhawks. He’ll make a killing in the nickel spot.

28) Dallas – WR James Hardy (Indiana)
Hardy’s size (6’5”) and reasonable combine 40 (4.51) make him worthy of a first round pick. Even though the Cowboy offense was explosive, someone to hurt opponents taking away Terrell Owens is a priority. At 34 Glenn is just about done and Crayton is merely average. Several times this year Owens was limited to under 50 yards receiving. They were 4-2 in those games, 9-0 otherwise and two of those wins were by 1 point. Hardy was incredibly productive for the Hoosiers with 26 touchdowns over 33 games. He can step in and catch some passes.

59) Dallas – RB Ray Rice (Rutgers)
Sure, they wanted Darren McFadden but this could wind up being better. For one it is more cost effective and do they really need another ego in Big D? Rice has Emmitt Smith written all over him. At 5’9” Rice might not at first glance appear as someone able to wear down a defense or carry a big load. However, he carried the ball 335 and 380 times over the past two seasons for the Scarlet Knights for an average of 27.5 per game and 5.32 yards per rush. He could be another Maurice Jones-Drew. Marion Barber runs like a man possessed and with the addition of Rice the Cowboys can choose a run heavy game plan against certain opponents.

92) Dallas – OG Eric Young (Tennessee)
There aren’t that many weakness on the Cowboys at this point, but both guards will be 30 before the year is done. Backing them up makes good sense since they want to open holes for their new rookie and Marion Barber.

122) Dallas – SS Tom Zbikowski (Notre Dame)
The Cowboys have an extra first round pick and not a lot of team needs which allows them to make a luxury selection here. A lot of people feel Roy Williams is overrated although it is hard to argue with his 506 tackles in six seasons and 19 interceptions. Backup Keith Davis is expected to depart in free agency making this a sneaky way for them to grab a potential replacement for Williams at a lower price tag. Zbikowski is the enforcer variety. Texas and tough go together nicely. The guy’s a boxer, how much tougher can you get?

155) Dallas – OT Kirk Barton (Ohio State)
The Cowboys need to keep their offensive line fresh and deep. Flozell Adams has been signed.

158) Dallas (via Miami) – DT/DE Letroy Guion (Florida State)
Jason Ferguson has been shipped to the Dolphins.

219) Dallas – QB Paul Smith (Tulsa)
Some depth behind Tony Romo is needed.

http://www.thefootballexpert.com/coxmockdraft.html

ndanger

Reaction score
That might be the best mock I have seen so far....seriously.

IronCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
This guy calls himself the "football expert" yet he said James Hardy is 2 inches shorter than he really his.

LeeC53

Reaction score
Nice !!!!!! love the pick of ray rice and Tom Zbikowski ,,,,,,,,and paul smith out of Tulsa to groom behind Romo is a great pick,,,,,,,,,,,,,great draft,,,,I can only dream !!!!

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I really like it....except I think I would rather have Reggie Smith over Talib because he would make a better NFL corner.

EndGame

Reaction score
It's fun to look at, but mocks beyond the first round are utterly useless.

sago1

Reaction score
I'd rather see us draft another ILB instead of OG in the 4th round. I've thought for some time that part of our problem in the middle is poor pass coverage by Ayodele. Zach Thomas will take care of that problem cause he's very good against the pass and can go sideline to sideline. However, don't know if we can get more than a year from Thomas so I want another good ILB against both the run and in pass coverage. I don't think we keep Ayodele after this season and Burnett becomes a FA after 08 season so we need another ILB who can step in at some point.

I'd also rather see us draft an OG later in the draft instead of that OT we projected to take.

Finally Aqib is not my first choice at 22nd pick; I think he'd make a better S cause I don't think he has starting NFL speed for a CB.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This would be a great draft. Best and most sensible mock I've seen. And also realistic.

Hong2221

Reaction score
I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEE THIS MOCK DRAFT! BUT RAY RICE IN THE 2nd ROUND? I DON"T THINK SO....

gazmc_06

Reaction score
I can only dream of that, what a draft it would be. Talib and Hardy in the first round....wow.

jdnoyes

Reaction score
I'm not a Talib fan at all, but I could definately live with this draft. I don't think Rice will be there by that point in the second round. With his solid combine I see him going in the 25-40 range.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
Dayton_Cowboy;1989132 said:
I was hating that the skins took DRC at 21 in that mock.

Yeah Id say if DRC is still there at 19/20 we should trade up and grab him.

gazmc_06

Reaction score
I would rather have Talib than DRC personally, Talib is a ball hawk. DRC is also very good, but I prefer Talib.

Angus

Reaction score
sago1;1989121 said:
I'd rather see us draft another ILB instead of OG in the 4th round. I've thought for some time that part of our problem in the middle is poor pass coverage by Ayodele. Zach Thomas will take care of that problem cause he's very good against the pass and can go sideline to sideline. However, don't know if we can get more than a year from Thomas so I want another good ILB against both the run and in pass coverage. I don't think we keep Ayodele after this season and Burnett becomes a FA after 08 season so we need another ILB who can step in at some point.

I'd also rather see us draft an OG later in the draft instead of that OT we projected to take.

Finally Aqib is not my first choice at 22nd pick; I think he'd make a better S cause I don't think he has starting NFL speed for a CB.

Check the link to know what was already gone when the Dallas numbers came up.

:)