Football games

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Sitting around writing music when it just dawned on me. Do you think games like Madden has left a lot of fans not able to see the forest because of the trees? It just seems to me that "stats" seem to be more important than what the real goal is, the SB.

If in some game, if player X has some awesome stats, that will automatically transfer to the football field, and we are seeing that is not true. And then Fantasy Football? What a waste IMO...because it seems that posters only want stats to win a imaginary game and portray those stats to their favorite player. And I guess you can assign all kinds of settings to win a silly game, then post their imaginary thoughts about how the game is played in real time.

So, how many of you lovers play Madden or play Fantasy Football? There is no right or wrong answer, just an honest one.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I ran a Madden league for multiple years and it was a blast.
We had our own site and forums yep 32 men staying out of Hooters and just having fun at home.lol
Of course, I had the Cowboys....... :muttley:
That sounds like fun.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I started my own FF league back in the mid-80's and still run it to this day. Over the years I've probably had around 160-170 teams give or take. But that is FF not real football. It's very easy to separate the two. I always pull for the Cowboys no matter the impact on any FF team. I love to play FF and my FF teams but again, it's just fantasy not real.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sitting around writing music when it just dawned on me. Do you think games like Madden has left a lot of fans not able to see the forest because of the trees? It just seems to me that "stats" seem to be more important than what the real goal is, the SB.

If in some game, if player X has some awesome stats, that will automatically transfer to the football field, and we are seeing that is not true. And then Fantasy Football? What a waste IMO...because it seems that posters only want stats to win a imaginary game and portray those stats to their favorite player. And I guess you can assign all kinds of settings to win a silly game, then post their imaginary thoughts about how the game is played in real time.

So, how many of you lovers play Madden or play Fantasy Football? There is no right or wrong answer, just an honest one.
Not certain if 'lot of fans' is accurate, although there is likely a significant percentage of fans subliminally influenced by video sports games and fantasy football. And I believe that group is populated more by fans younger than 40 years old or younger than older.

It should be noted Madden popped into existence around 1990. The 1990s birthed reality entertainment and today's social media environment. Fantasy sports began to grow exponentially as it became profitable through widespread marketing and merchandising. All three contribute to fans experiencing the sport: 1) by creating success via a virtual avatar within video games, 2) investing emotionally in high-level performance of player productivity over team productivity every week in fantasy football for sought after success, and 3) while inundated by faux reality television, profit-driven ambiguous sports talking head promotion and glitzy yet often substance lacking social media conversation.

In short, some fans may see a team sport as superstars only, who are the sole reason why games are won and lost unrealistically. Other fans comprehend every player, no matter how important an individual player is on their roster, along with coaches, etc., contributes to every team win and loss. Every quarter. Every drive. Every down.

Regardless whether someone loves Madden or fantasy or whatever, grounded fans will always be those who can divorce themselves of what's fake from what is real. The NFL's future upward success depends on those who do.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
I still like playing Madden. It's become pretty repetitive of course, but it's still fun to lead the Cowboys to a Superbowl. I buy it every two or three years or so. Buying it every year just isn't worth it.

Never got into FF though.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We played paper football back in my day. Yes, I am old.
My brother and I got one of these back in 1970 or 1971:

WHiLHuK.gif

Roadtrip635

Reaction score

Don't you think it can also be the other way around? It helps to open the eyes to other players that people may or not be aware of how good(or bad) they really are playing. In FF you may follow a particular players stats, but you end up also following how well they actually play and watch more games, you become much more knowledgeable about the entire league and not just "your" team.

I've found ppl that play FF, in general, are more knowledgeable about the game because they are following more teams/players than just the ones they root for in real life. It seems that just about everyone uses stats to post their "imaginary" thoughts whether they play FF or not. Check out this community there are plenty of people that only watch the Cowboys and whatever team they happen to be facing, and some that didn't even watch the game maybe a few highlights and want to pass along their expert opinion.

I like playing FF, it's a way to get more out of the game and learn more about teams/players that I might not have otherwise.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I ran a Madden league for multiple years and it was a blast.
We had our own site and forums yep 32 men staying out of Hooters and just having fun at home.lol
Of course, I had the Cowboys....... :muttley:
Lol! I knew you were a Madden guy!