Football Outsiders forecasts great draft haul for Cowboys

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
12:09 PM Wed, Apr 09, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips
Football Outsiders has a two-round mock draft up, and I betcha you folks would be fired up if the first couple rounds went down as they see.

The projected Cowboys picks:

1-22-22 Dallas Cowboys from Cleveland Browns -- Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Tennessee State
With a roster stocked with quality players at nearly every position, Dallas can let the draft come to them. San Diego was in much the same position two years ago when they took a flier on Antonio Cromartie and that pick paid off in spades, as Cromartie is the most dominant young corner in the league. Rodgers-Cromartie doesn't have the Florida State pedigree, but he has the same combination of size, speed and athleticism. He was a man among boys at the Senior Bowl, and he followed that up with a stellar combine that cemented him as a first-round prospect and arguably the best cornerback in the draft. Rodgers-Cromartie won't be ready to start right away, but with Terrence Newman and Anthony Henry on board, the Cowboys don't need him to. This is a bit of a boom-or-bust pick, but it's one Dallas can afford to make with another first rounder in their pocket.

1-28-28 Dallas Cowboys -- Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan State

While Terrell Owens is still performing at a high level, he's no spring chicken anymore, and Dallas would do well by adding a potential No. 1 receiver to groom behind him. Thomas, at 6-2 and 225, compares favorably to Dwayne Bowe, who went right around this spot last year and turned in the top performance of any a rookie receiver. The risk is that Thomas only played one season of Division I-A ball and that he is an unpolished route runner, but he displayed terrific hands at Michigan State, as well as a rare ability to pick up yardage after the catch. Thomas is also an excellent return man, and he'll immediately upgrade Dallas' special teams. DeSean Jackson was also a consideration in this spot, but ultimately size won out.

2-30-61 Dallas Cowboys -- Chris Johnson, RB, East Carolina

4.24 in the 40-yard dash at the Combine. Will he play that fast? Probably not, but he deserves credit for coming to the draft process prepared. As a player, he complements Marion Barber as a guy who can return kicks, catch the ball out of the backfield (he was a wide receiver off-and-on in college), and serve as a scatback. If he could become a better blocker, he'd be a real terror.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
I know some people might not like the mock bec. of Devin Thomas....

But I'd be pretty stoked. Thomas might not contribute much this year, but I gotta think Thomas/Johnson would be plenty of wow in the near future. (Johnson possibly as a rookie, providing well).

Then, there is the matter of Stanback and his 4.58 speed. Crayton and Stanback are sllooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwww...... Thomas adds speed.

:)

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
Potentially best CB + Arguably best WR prospect + Game-breaking RB to fill need.

Nah, I hate that draft.

Yeah hate it! (Because, I have learned we never the draft I would covet, so I'm going to hate this one so as to not jinx it)

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Hostile;2029789 said:
Oh I would have an accident if we got those 3 guys.

I can't imagine what you'd do if they landed Schmitt too...

slick325

Reaction score
That wouldn't be a bad haul at all. I think Thomas could be really good with time to develop. Chris Johnson is who I've been hoping Dallas grabs in round 2and DRC, although not my top pick, is in my top 5 at CB. I'd be happy with this draft.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Sub in Jenkins and that was my original dream draft. I just dont see DRC getting past the Saints, Bills, Eagles and Cards. I dont see Jenkins anymore either thus my change. I dont want JStew anymore either. I think a bit more conservative approach is best. Injury and character risks are best left for the second day.

just say no to JStew and Talib.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Writer must be a Cowboy fan at heart because I think that mock has ZERO chance of happening.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Less than zero. An imaginary negative number. Johnson and DMC will be gone at those picks. Thomas likely as well.

utrunner07

Reaction score
I have no doubt that Jerruh will some how manage to screw this up. Really I think its allready happened and the draft will just be further evidence...folks its the early late 90s all over again and we didn't get three superbowls this time....

utrunner07

Reaction score
jobberone;2029895 said:
I wouldn't write ole Jerry off just yet.

I like your optimism and cling to it on other days, just not Wednesdays.

JPM

Reaction score
Vintage;2029792 said:
I can't imagine what you'd do if they landed Schmitt too...
Double layer of Depends for sure !