For all the criticism Dak Prescott gets

Proof

Reaction score
No I’m blaming him for his regression. And maybe this isn’t directed towards you but Dak’s success his rookie seasons accredited to Zeke and the offensive line for the most part. But for some reason his regression is all on him even though both have been either suspended or injured. I’m not gonna sit here and say Dak is a top 10 qb because I don’t know what he is yet. But he gets far too much criticism on this site simply for being a young quarterback.

agreed. guess it comes with the territory of having such immediate success, replacing a fan favorite, and playing the most important position for the most popular franchise in sports. pulling for him though, I'm a dak fan.

Yobwocs

Reaction score
This season will make thigs more conclusive on Dak Prescott. I'm not convinced

Dak is just as responsible for that year. He got figured out and was pretty limited. This season will make things more conclusive. I still think a healthy Romo in '17 does considerably more with that team than Dak as he was top notch pre snap, much better passer, could go through his reads better, etc. Not trying to take away from Dak as he is young... but he was certainly questioned within reason for his limited mechanics as a QB. Things will be more conclusive this year. Hopefully Dak and the cowboys can do some really good things on offense. Build on the good from last year.

I don't want to seem like I'm blaming it entirely on his supporting cast. I'm just pointing out the trends here. Our 2017 receiving unit was definitely the worst of the 3 Dak years. The rest of the NFL upgraded their receiving unit from 2016 to 2017 while ours stayed the same. There's a short clock in the NFL. Dez wasn't getting any better and none of our other receivers took a jump so our entire receiving unit degraded enough (even if not by what appears to be THAT much) to where the rest of the league caught up.

Of course Dak had his lowpoints. But he also had a pretty incredible turnaround. Since it was right after the Cooper trade, obviously I'm going to assume that trends don't lie and it's mainly because of the addition of a great receiver. Whether or not it was because of some other reason, "he's starting to figure it out"/"he has more freedom with his playcalling" etc., I don't know. But he's clearly not a fluke at this point. Nobody in the media is talking about him like he's a fluke anymore. He's legitimately taken seriously now. And I think it's time for Cowboys fans to hop on that bandwagon too.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Dude, I’m all for talking up our QB but it’s a bit of a stretch to say that he has had as much or even more success than Goff. Wentz I’ll give you, but only because he hasn’t finished a season.
Wentz was tearing it up in 2017 and had 30tds and 7 int before he got hurt. Dak hasn't even come close to 30 passing TDs.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Dude, I’m all for talking up our QB but it’s a bit of a stretch to say that he has had as much or even more success than Goff. Wentz I’ll give you, but only because he hasn’t finished a season.
Goff has been struggling most of his career aside from the beginning of last year. He ended on a bad note. I’m not debating who’s the better qb. I’m saying Dak has been just as good/bad as the quarterbacks in his rookie class despite having inferior coaching to them.

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
I was taking up for Romo early in his career when the fans on the forums torched him for the inopportune mistakes he would make at critical moments.

It’s possible to acknowledge imperfect behavior or actions without agreeing with someone’s overall negative assessment.That’s how I felt about Romo, it’s also how I feel about Dak. Though they both have/had their warts, there is still so much to appreciate.

The thing I find baffling is how the critics of Dak fail to acknowledge how his presence has changed this franchise from what many, including myself, would have thought post-Romo was going to be a bottom dwelling franchise for years into a seamless, without any transition whatsoever, contender on a year to year basis. But then a lot of them don’t agree with me that what the team is doing now is actually “contending”.

What I have learned as I get older, is that there is no use in arguing with another human about circumstances that you both see but interpret completely differently. I’ve never been successful at changing another person’s mind on such matters and they definitely aren’t changing mine.

I’ve also learned that I am eternally grateful to have a optimist’s perspective because, I believe, it allows me to enjoy life more fully than the alternative outlook allows you to.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
agreed. guess it comes with the territory of having such immediate success, replacing a fan favorite, and playing the most important position for the most popular franchise in sports. pulling for him though, I'm a dak fan.
Yeah it’s a gift and a curse especially with those who were upset Romo never got another chance. They were just waiting for Dak to look like a young qb so they can say I told you so.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Dak looked totally different after the Cooper trade.

I suspect he will put up big TD #s if we can find a TE to threaten the middle of the field

The Eagles and Commanders game has people forgetting the rest.

Dak also led us to our first shutout since 2003 while having Cooper and Zeke. He also almost fumbled the game away against the Saints, luckily, our D came to play that night.

FiveTime

Reaction score
No, it's not disingenuous. It's obvious why Dak lost his way: mechanics, timing, footwork. It was because of all the hard hits and QB sacks. Romo would not have made it through that stretch of such a porous Oline and terrible pass protection. It was barely Dak's 2nd year, plus surrounded with over-the-hill receivers, terrible play calling and coaches, plus no Zeke for 6 games. We're lucky Dak was able to get his composure back and mentally right the ship. Most young QBs wouldn't have. You should be grateful, not so unappreciative and condescending.

Romo at 38 years old might not have made it but Romo in his mid 20's would not have been a worry. Dak can work on mechanics, timing, and footwork twelve hours a day, seven days a week. He is not going to suddenly become a proficient passer.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Haven't people realized by now that his worst year (his 2nd), he had one of the worst receiving units in the NFL? An aging Jason Witten, a washed out Dez Bryant, decent Terrence Williams, Cole Beasley, Brice Butler, and Noah Brown. One of the most weaksauce receiving units I can think of. That list of names has no flash at all.

It shouldn't be any surprise why his sophomore campaign was a failure. The majority of the criticism he gets is for his 2nd year (or that 16 game streak from Atlanta 2017 game 9 through Tennessee 2018 game 8). After the Cooper trade, he starts putting up highlights and has his team back in good looking shape. I'm just really shocked Cowboys fans don't seem to recognize what clearly dragged us down in '17.....

Dak will still never win a SB.