For all the fair sighted

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Redball Express, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

15,623 Messages
    12,193 Likes Received
    It's a what if question.

Like what is happening with Wentz and Stafford.

America's Cowboy likes this.
  2. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

30,322 Messages
    5,306 Likes Received
    Getting a huge opportunity to make some money for a better life. But some exploit it for gain, not for sport team wise, I got mine, "git da big ol bag of cash", that's what Zeke wrote...lol. So here we are. Hell, I cried when I got fired from my job.

3. Vinnie2u

Vinnie2u Well-Known Member

6,274 Messages
    7,710 Likes Received
    I’d have a bad contract Fire Sale. Starting with Zeke And Jaylon...

CATCH17 and 5Stars like this.
  4. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

30,322 Messages
    5,306 Likes Received
    Jerry's son is to afraid to lite the match...

Vinnie2u likes this.
  5. Jake

Jake Curmudgeon

23,707 Messages
    46,062 Likes Received
    Is this a serious question? Booger & Son haven't figured out how to manage one, let alone two.

Corso likes this.
  6. Flamma

Flamma Well-Known Member

9,547 Messages
    8,266 Likes Received
    Can't with Zeke unfortunately. If nothing changes, he's not worth half his cap hit over the next two years. He has to stay for 2021. And on the 5th league day of 2021 his 2022 salary is guaranteed. That makes the dead cap spike for 2022. There's no good way around his contract until 2023. Even trading him right now would end with a dead cap at or slightly higher than if Dallas kept him.

Jaylon. He'll be cut after 2021 if something doesn't change. They could cut him now, but I don't think they will.

7. Vinnie2u

Vinnie2u Well-Known Member

6,274 Messages
    7,710 Likes Received
    the Eagirls cut bait with Wentz and fraction Jackson. And maybe Ertz.. We can doit!

8. Flamma

Flamma Well-Known Member

9,547 Messages
    8,266 Likes Received
    Eagles traded Wentz and still have like a 33 million dollar dead cap. That's not what you want to do if you can help it. The Cowboys gain nothing by trading Zeke. Unless we get something good, then I take it all back.

9. Creeper

Creeper Well-Known Member

3,927 Messages
    5,127 Likes Received
    In theory this works, but this could also backfire on Dak big time. If a team makes him a huge offer and he refuses it will scare away any team that might have had ideas about signing him. There are always stupid teams in the league, but the bigger the offer Dak turns down, the fewer teams there will be stupid enough to offer him more.

5Stars likes this.
  10. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

12,065 Messages
    8,123 Likes Received
    It is better to have that slim chance at finding a QB than knowingly make the same mistake and sign Dak to a franchise killing contract. All around the league, teams are admitting their mistakes and unloading these overpaid QBs and Dak fans are giddy with hope that Dallas makes the same mistake. SMH

5Stars and dueyhemlock like this.
  11. JoeKing

JoeKing Diehard Zone Supporter

24,384 Messages
    20,969 Likes Received
    This thread is the kind of thing that happens when you obsess about Dak not being signed

12. CowboysWillRise

CowboysWillRise Well-Known Member

13,094 Messages
    19,087 Likes Received
    If we let Dak go there is no need to resign Dalton. Just embrace the losses and build the team. Its also pointless keeping guys like Zeke and Jaylon around. Hell even Coop and Dlaw should be gone.

The moment you let Dak go is most likely the moment we begin a total rebuild. Dalton won't get us more than 8 or 9 games next season. So why keep him and struggle to maintain mediocrity?

With guys like Stafford, Goff, and Wentz gone what is our other option? Houston wants a kings ransom for Watson. Seattle likely the same for Wilson. The odds of improving after signing either of those guys are probably worse than winning with Dak and keeping draft capital. We won't be able to get high enough for Lawrence or Fields.

So the question is do you think our offensive core is enough to retain Dak, patch up the defense and make a run?

I believe it is. We need to make some shrewd moves and catch a break or three, but the offense as is can be special imo. Which is why my preference is to keep the franchise QB and go strong towards defensive help.

I dont want to start another rebuild with the talent we already have.

Kwyn likes this.
  13. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

12,065 Messages
    8,123 Likes Received
    I don’t think signing Dak is going to produce a championship, but I don’t expect Dallas to break the ongoing trend of not reaching the Super Bowl anyway. The Jones family will find a way to fail no matter who they sign or release.

14. Typhus

Typhus Catching Catfish

8,766 Messages
    8,945 Likes Received
    Of course, unless the GOAT wants to volunteer some DNA so we can grow one.

15. Kwyn

Kwyn Well-Known Member

1,558 Messages
    1,739 Likes Received
    And there are even more teams who reload at QB every few years, wasting high draft picks, in the hopes that “maybe this time!?!”

As to your example, you know what else those teams have in common? Those same contracts you are talking about them dumping ... are tied to players they drafted in the top ten.

Dak is better than Goff. He’s better than Wentz.

Your scenario doesn’t really apply here.

the choices are this

Sign a very good QB to a long term QB
    Roll the dice on a long shot
    Sign an underperforming journeyman

give me option 1

16. gjkoeppen

gjkoeppen Well-Known Member

7,569 Messages
    3,242 Likes Received

Are you really Dave Dameshek with his N "IF" L?

17. TequilaCowboy

TequilaCowboy Well-Known Member

753 Messages
    916 Likes Received
    Quite true, in fact many players had to have second jobs to go to in the off season. I can still remember when Herschel Walker was signed by the Cowboys for five years $5m total, not per....and it shocked the NFL world. $1m per season was astounding. Yes, now they cry after being drafted cuz its like winning the lottery. So does their family.

Flamma likes this.