News: For Cowboys, no more small-school DBs

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
IRVING, Texas -- The NFL draft is not until May 8-10 and we will spend plenty of time dissecting players from here, there and everywhere in relation to the Dallas Cowboys.

While you should never speak in absolutes when it comes to the draft, here is one: The Cowboys do not need to draft a defensive back from a small school.

Since 2010, the Cowboys have drafted five defensive backs from small schools and have not seen one pan out yet.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
IRVING, Texas -- The NFL draft is not until May 8-10 and we will spend plenty of time dissecting players from here, there and everywhere in relation to the Dallas Cowboys.

While you should never speak in absolutes when it comes to the draft, here is one: The Cowboys do not need to draft a defensive back from a small school.

Since 2010, the Cowboys have drafted five defensive backs from small schools and have not seen one pan out yet.

Makes sense to me. The big-school DBs play against the big-school and highly touted QBs.

Also, no more little school QBs . . . .

I will be in my bunker if anybody needs me. the password is Richard Widmark.

KDM256

Reaction score
If I was GM of a team, I would feel the same way about most players drafted.

Big time players usually end up at big time programs for the most part. Of course you have your diamond inthe rough guys at small schools, but if drafting the small school guys, you better put up impressive, outstanding numbers giving me the belief that you could have played at any program at the college level.

DFWJC

Reaction score
You take the best player...period.
There is a very long list of Pro Bowl and even HOF players that went to so-called "small schools".

I bet Kansas City was glad they didn't follow Archer's advice when they drafted Brandon Carr.

Just off the top of my head, some old and new.....Larry Allen, Walter Peyton, Jerry Rice, Darrell Green, Howie Long, Terrell Owens, Vincett jackson, Cortland Finnegan, Jhari Evans, ...

If it's in the later rounds, I don't see the issue...unless of course, you don't trust your scouts.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Dallas drafted a DB from a big school(LSU) a couple of years ago. Not only a big school, but what is supposedly a powerhouse that produces yearly NFL talent. Aren't there almost a dozen LSU DBs in the league right now?

joseephuss

Reaction score
You take the best player...period.
There is a very long list of Pro Bowl and even HOF players that went to so-called "small schools".

I bet Kansas City was glad they didn't follow Archer's advice when they drafted Brandon Carr.

Just off the top of my head, some old and new.....Larry Allen, Walter Peyton, Jerry Rice, Darrell Green, Howie Long, Terrell Owens, Vincett jackson, Cortland Finnegan, Jhari Evans, ...

If it's in the later rounds, I don't see the issue...unless of course, you don't trust your scouts.

Finnegan? Other than that it is a nice list.

arglebargle

Reaction score
Your odds of getting a steady starter out of the later rounds are so low that it's always a crapshoot. As I understand it, the Cowboys draft philosophy for later rounds is to pick players who do at least one thing very, very well. When you're looking at something like 10% chances, you are going to fail most of the time anyway.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Finnegan? Other than that it is a nice list.

haha

I was just tossing out names off the top of my head of players that had good careers. Ddin't mean to say he belonged with those guys overall....but now that you mention it, it does look funny.
I bet anyone who could draft a player like Finnegan in the late rounds would be happy though.
I think there's even a small school defensive back in the Pro Bowl this year again (Brent Grimes?)

reddyuta

Reaction score
i hope we avoid small school players completely this year,we cant afford for them to basically be redshirted for the first year.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It seems that the Cowboys have had problems picking DBs. I don't think it's correlated to what college they attended.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
It seems that the Cowboys have had problems picking DBs. I don't think it's correlated to what college they attended.

that is true, it just happens that they are from small schools.

bear34

Reaction score
Dallas drafted a DB from a big school(LSU) a couple of years ago. Not only a big school, but what is supposedly a powerhouse that produces yearly NFL talent. Aren't there almost a dozen LSU DBs in the league right now?

1st and 2nd round pick for a big school DB who is a JAG at best. I guess no more big school DBs either

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
Marcus Williams, North Dakota State.

Caught their bowl game. Good team for a small school like that. Followed them a little this year just because I have a former student who's in the Athletic Training program there. I'm no scout, but Willimas looked good from what I saw.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
Ya know I was thinking about this - you mean to tell me of all the starting DB's at Alabama, Florida, Georgia, USC, Ohio St, Oklahoma, etc who played week in and week out against big time competition - none of those guys was a better prospect both physically, instinctually and football wise than Jeff Heath?

It's hard to believe.