News: For Cowboys, no more small-school DBs

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Without knowing what the percentage of "Big School" DBs who are successful in the NFL, it's kind of hard to say that 5 DBs taken from small schools in 4 years is indicative of anything really. For all we know, this could be inline with what other teams see as well, when drafting players, Big School or not.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
How about some DL's for a change?

Really the primary problem on defense, just like it was the primary problem on offense (the line).

I think we will see a commitment to fixing the defensive line this off-season. Probably some major turnover with one "hanger on" like Kosier was for us (Ware).

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Good one! Ouachita Baptist gave us one of the best ever!

I think the whole, "no more small school guys" is silly. The draft, as we all know, is a crap-shoot-educated-guess kind of thing. Scouts and fans alike tend to measure potential draftees against the quality of the opponent, but without having any idea how they would fare against better "big school" opponents, it would be foolish to just rule out any player because of where he went to school. The only way the relationship between school size and NFL ability is that the big schools get the best high school talent, but because people that age mature and grow at different rates, "big school/small school" should not be used as an absolute cut-off line for the draft. I think Larry Allen went to that big school powerhouse, "Sonoma State."

I guess Jerry's strategy of outsmarting the rest of the nfl drafters is not appreciated.
One day one of these picks might pan out. Then he will be a genius! !;)

Seriously though -- and we do not give him enough credit for this -- Jerra is a marketing genius.
As to actual football, most Forumites here could outhink him. And that is just so sad to dwell upon.

Next Years Champ

Reaction score
OK, to you it is just a game. Now i half to change my password. The new one is John Payne. If that one is stolen then the line from "Ted": Chris Brown can do no wrong!"

OK, let's be serious and dont mess with the passwords.

Just having some ' tickle me' time b/w us.

Thanx.

Next Years Champ

Reaction score
I'm a big believer in big school drafting. Not only the competition they play against, but the spot light, big TV games, lots of pressure. Being great has as much to do with talent, as it does intelligence and guts. But again, you can find talent anywhere, just make sure you have the best scouting team in the NFL.

I agree.

Players from the bigger Conferences in my mind have more going on.

Drafting Ware from Webber State or wherever he came from was a huge risk.

I wouldn't do that again.

Hardline

Reaction score
Draft nothing but SEC guys. The SEC is,just one notch below the NFL anyway.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I'm a big believer in big school drafting. Not only the competition they play against, but the spot light, big TV games, lots of pressure. Being great has as much to do with talent, as it does intelligence and guts. But again, you can find talent anywhere, just make sure you have the best scouting team in the NFL.

The pressure of playing in Dallas is greater than many other places and many games are pressure packed considering how many national games the Cowboys play in.

In fact, we seem to do better with small school players after the draft simply because there is little to no involvement from the usual final decision maker in the war room. We might "find the talent", maybe he is not picking them.

Plain and simple here is the Jerry Jones track record drafting small school players since Johnson departed:

380J.J. WilcoxDBGeorgia Southern
4114B.W. WebbDBWilliam & Mary
4135Matt JohnsonDBEastern Washington
4110David ArkinGMissouri State
5143Josh ThomasDBBuffalo
4126Akwasi Owusu-AnsahDBIndiana (PA)
7234Sean LissemoreDTWilliam & Mary
369Jason WilliamsLBWestern Illinois
375Robert BrewsterTBall State
6167Erik WaldenDEMiddle Tennessee State
4122Doug FreeTNorthern Illinois
7212Courtney BrownDBCal Poly-San Luis Obispo
7211Pat McQuistanTWeber State
111Demarcus WareDETroy
6208Justin BeriaultDBBall State
7216Patrick CraytonWRNorthwestern Oklahoma
6186Zuriel SmithWRHampton
5168Ralph HunterDBVirginia Union
6208Deveren JohnsonWRSacred Heart
7207Colston WeatheringtonDECentral Missouri State
4109Kareem LarrimoreDBWest Texas State
4132Hundens ZellnerDEFort Valley State
6193MarTay JenkinsWRNebraska-Omaha
6188Izell ReeseDBAlabama-Birmingham
365Dexter CoakleyDBAppalachian State
4127Macey BrooksWRJames Madison
237Kavika PittmanDEMcNeese State
394Stepfret WilliamsWRN.E. Louisiana
5157Kenneth McDanielGNorfolk State
30Darren BensonDTArkansas State
392Charlie WilliamsDBBowling Green
50John DavisTEEmporia State
246Larry AllenGSonoma State

Exactly three could be considered exceptional players. There are a couple of possibles, like Crayton and Free, but by and large it is a wasteland.

It also seems to be getting worse as the years go by.

It is understandable how 6th/7th round choices will fail, but that still does not dismiss the poor track record.

How the team has performed taking small school players in the 3rd/4th round has been particularly horrible.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Everson Walls Grambling.
Mark Washington Morgan State
Clinkscale SC State
Steve Wilson Howard University
And who can forget the famous Rod Hill from Kentucky State