For Dak the stakes are at their highest

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
No it isn't.

Last offseason Jackson and Herbert signed for an AAV of $52M. This year the highest guys signed for $55M. Dak isn't getting $65M per next year
That’s a huge misconception people are having on this site. In 2023 Joe Burrow set the Market at 55m$, that’s 24% of the salary cap. In 2024, that number would be 61m$.

Jordan Love and Trevor Lawrence getting 55m$ in 2024 weren’t first tier contracts. They were second tier contracts and this is why it’s being floated around that Dak is looking for a number today that starts with a 6. The QB AAV has gone up 4-6 million every year, except for this one because a top tier QB hasn’t signed yet. Dak’s agent isn’t going to be the guy who sets the QB market backwards.

And next offseason, with an expected 20m$ salary cap bump, the top tier QB number will be around 65. It’s what Dak will get if he doesn’t sign this month.

Jipper

Reaction score
I meant that nobody is going to make Dak the highest paid player, or even QB ever other than maybe Jerry.

Why would they, and who would?

All the playoff teams already have established QBs who are either more accomplished than Dak, younger than Dak, or both.

There are some mids and bottom feeders, but why would they make the worst playoff QB ever into the highest paid player ever, and then kill their caps and plans for the next five years rather than just spend high draft picks on QB blue chippers?

Why would they do this with an old QB looking for his third contract? Dak isn't Brady or Rodgers who both have resumes no one questions. Most non-Cowboys teams actually have the goal of winning the Super Bowl, so signing a guy like Dak, and killing all hope you have of reaching that goal for the next five years makes no logical sense whatsoever.
I agree he wont be made the highest qb.

But there are at least 5 bottom teams without a qb that would pay even Dak 40MM plus easily....he might be the worst playoff qb ever but to a team not making the playoffs he would be a massive upgrade.

Not defending dak and for the record i want him gone asap but the reality is he is still an average qb with points where he plays substantially better than average...problem is his celing is the Divisonal round

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Nobody is going to pay Dak big money other than maybe Jerry Jones.

Dak is also old, so "many years to come" isn't in the cards either.
This is the $64,000 dollar question for me.

It seems by far the general consensus is that Dak will have teams lining up to make him the next highest paid player in history.

I don't see it. It's well established that he is not a real difference maker. Just don't see anyone breaking the bank on him, but I'm looking forward to finding out.

They should have rfa'd him in 2020 to find out exactly what the market was for him then.

Jarntt

Reaction score
That’s a huge misconception people are having on this site. In 2023 Joe Burrow set the Market at 55m$, that’s 24% of the salary cap. In 2024, that number would be 61m$.

Jordan Love and Trevor Lawrence getting 55m$ in 2024 weren’t first tier contracts. They were second tier contracts and this is why it’s being floated around that Dak is looking for a number today that starts with a 6. The QB AAV has gone up 4-6 million every year, except for this one because a top tier QB hasn’t signed yet. Dak’s agent isn’t going to be the guy who sets the QB market backwards.

And next offseason, with an expected 20m$ salary cap bump, the top tier QB number will be around 65. It’s what Dak will get if he doesn’t sign this month.
you can keep trying to justify it but it’s just not happening. There is no way Dak is getting $65M per. You think Dak is getting 18% more than the highest QB is getting this year? Come on.

and I purposely left Burrow off because he is better but if you want to include him it means that relatively speaking the highest QB contract was lower in 24 than it was in 23.

Jarntt

Reaction score
you can keep trying to justify it but it’s just not happening. There is no way Dak is getting $65M per. You think Dak is getting 18% more than the highest QB is getting this year? Come on.

and I purposely left Burrow off because he is better but if you want to include him it means that relatively speaking the highest QB contract was lower in 24 than it was in 23.
Heres another way to look at it if you want to talk about the top QB salary as a function of the total salary cap.
2024 salary cap is 255.4M. Highest paid QB is 55M or 21.5%
2025 salary cap is expected to be 260M by OTC. 21.5% is $55.9M if you want to use that as your methodology. Again, $65M is just not happening.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Heres another way to look at it if you want to talk about the top QB salary as a function of the total salary cap.
2024 salary cap is 255.4M. Highest paid QB is 55M or 21.5%
2025 salary cap is expected to be 260M by OTC. 21.5% is $55.9M if you want to use that as your methodology. Again, $65M is just not happening.
That’s because no QBs worth the highest % were signed this summer.

Dak’s agent is going to push for Dak to keep the % up. We don’t need to go back and forth on it, just sit and watch. If he gets signed in 2024 it’ll be 60-62m$, and in 2025 it’ll be more than that

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Maybe Jerry meant for it to be this way; one year for all the marbles. If Dak does well this year(meaning helping the Cowboys take the next step in the playoffs) he gets a mega deal next year that resets the quarterback market. If he doesn't, it could ward off any suitors vying for his services in free agency.
And that puts ALL of the pressure on Dak to succeed. If he flops it could cost him as much as $100 million or even more in free agency.
OR, could it be that Jerry knows something else, like maybe the NFL WILL IN FACT put a salary cap on the quarterback position. That could well be the reason the Cowboys have yet to make Dak an offer he is willing to agree to.
For all of the bluster about the money Dak has been offered as of now, no one except Dak and his agent know the terms- other than Stephen and Jerry. There may not be any guarantees and certainly not a no-trade or no-cut clause.
It's very possible that Dak is watching his future hang in limbo in more ways than one, and only a great performance this season will earn him a decent contract to finish his career.
How many of these Dak threads are you going to post? We all know you hate Dak.

leeblair

Reaction score
How many of these Dak threads are you going to post? We all know you hate Dak.
There isn't much else to discuss.
What Jerry does right now will largely determine the fate of the Cowboys franchise moving forward.
And Dak is in a tough spot right now. How he plays this season could determine whether or not he is taken seriously when he hits free agency.
I think Jerry feels that it's time that Dak proved he deserves more.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There isn't much else to discuss.
What Jerry does right now will largely determine the fate of the Cowboys franchise moving forward.
And Dak is in a tough spot right now. How he plays this season could determine whether or not he is taken seriously when he hits free agency.
I think Jerry feels that it's time that Dak proved he deserves more.
There’s 79 other players to talk about. Daks been talked about so much we’re all turning blue.

Smith22

Reaction score
Maybe Jerry meant for it to be this way; one year for all the marbles. If Dak does well this year(meaning helping the Cowboys take the next step in the playoffs) he gets a mega deal next year that resets the quarterback market. If he doesn't, it could ward off any suitors vying for his services in free agency.
And that puts ALL of the pressure on Dak to succeed. If he flops it could cost him as much as $100 million or even more in free agency.
OR, could it be that Jerry knows something else, like maybe the NFL WILL IN FACT put a salary cap on the quarterback position. That could well be the reason the Cowboys have yet to make Dak an offer he is willing to agree to.
For all of the bluster about the money Dak has been offered as of now, no one except Dak and his agent know the terms- other than Stephen and Jerry. There may not be any guarantees and certainly not a no-trade or no-cut clause.
It's very possible that Dak is watching his future hang in limbo in more ways than one, and only a great performance this season will earn him a decent contract to finish his career.
What are you going on about. Dak is in the drivers seat, period. No trade clause, can't be tagged.

He doesn't need to be a Dallas Cowboy and can feel free to reject any deal he deems not good enough. The Cowboys let this thing go too long and gave him all the leverage.

And we all know in a QB driven league a minimum of 6-9 teams would be willing to sign him for big money after this season.

Simple as that.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That’s because no QBs worth the highest % were signed this summer.

Dak’s agent is going to push for Dak to keep the % up. We don’t need to go back and forth on it, just sit and watch. If he gets signed in 2024 it’ll be 60-62m$, and in 2025 it’ll be more than that
And you love it.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Dak is the least of OUR problems...Jerry Jones is the root cause of 30 years of no winning another title. Until he disappears, we're never going to win a SB again. Then idiot Stephen's turn...GOD help us :facepalm:

sunalsorises

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The stakes aren't high for Dak as far as money. He just has to avoid serious injury which is pretty much the only leverage Dallas has on him, that and playing for Dallas. If Dak is fine playing for another team then he'll get his money. Dak stays healthy and his leverage goes up because some team is going to offer him what his agent wants.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
While what you say about the QB salary cap is true, if Dak and the team goes 0-17 or even 8-8, it’s delusional to think that he’ll get anywhere close to the amount of money other young QBs got and he’s likely seeking now. He’s on the tail end of his career and would’ve failed to improve upon his lousy playoff performances and record.
He’ll be paid tens of millions of dollars to play quarterback in the NFL this year, next year, and many years after. Nothing that occurs this season is going to change that. You know it. Kirk Cousins is paid that and so will Dak. That’s how it is in the NFL. What bugs you is Dak couldn’t care less who is paying for his services. He regards himself more important than the Cowboys in general. He’s a professional football player first and foremost. He’s a Dallas Cowboys player only as long as he’s under contract to them. Otherwise they’re just one of 32 teams.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
He’ll be paid tens of millions of dollars to play quarterback in the NFL this year, next year, and many years after. Nothing that occurs this season is going to change that. You know it. Kirk Cousins is paid that and so will Dak. That’s how it is in the NFL. What bugs you is Dak couldn’t care less who is paying for his services. He regards himself more important than the Cowboys in general. He’s a professional football player first and foremost. He’s a Dallas Cowboys player only as long as he’s under contract to them. Otherwise they’re just one of 32 teams.
I never said he wouldn’t get paid. I said he would never get the money he’s asking for now if those posited situations happen to occur.

Nothing bugs me about Dak except him not playing up to par in the postseason for a team I’ve been a fan of before he was even born. I don’t care if he makes money elsewhere. I’m not paying the bill.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I never said he wouldn’t get paid. I said he would never get the money he’s asking for now if those posited situations happen to occur.

Nothing bugs me about Dak except him not playing up to par in the postseason for a team I’ve been a fan of before he was even born. I don’t care if he makes money elsewhere. I’m not paying the bill.
Why does it matter what some team pays him. He’s not getting $60 million per season, from any team. He is going to be paid an enormous amount of money to play in the NFL in 2025, 2026, and a few years after that. For now, he‘s under contract to and plays for the Cowboys. He participated in voluntary OTAs, mandatory OTAs, and training camp. You see how people say “CeeDee should honor his contract”? Well, Dak is honoring his contract.

He and his agent have an idea what they want from the Cowboys if the team wants to retain him past this season. If Jerry is not comfortable with it he just doesn’t sign him. What difference does it make if he’s overvaluing himself? If he becomes a free agent he’ll find out for sure what he’s worth to NFL teams in March 2025. He’s not complaining. He’s preparing for the season. But he owes the Dallas Cowboys nothing. He owes ungrateful whiney Cowboys fans nothing. He owes Jerry Jones nothing. When the Cowboys are done with Dak, or Dak is done with the Cowboys, they will go their separate ways. It’s not personal.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Why does it matter what some team pays him. He’s not getting $60 million per season, from any team.
Thanks for agreeing with me.

The rest of your long-winded essay on the obvious that NFL QBs get paid a lot of money was unnecessary.