For fun who was the biggest FA bust for the Cowboys

MikeB80

Reaction score
CB Donald Mitchell.

was signed in the spring of 03 to be the cowboys nickel corner. He got hurt in the preseason and went to IR. Then he was released the following season, I think he didn't want to play anymore. He never played a down here.

he would have helped that defense too.

him and ryan young were set to be big contributors in that 03 season. Mitchell never played and Young's knee was shot and I think he played till like halloween and was done.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He didn’t really come at a discount. I believe his contract was set up to pay him what he made the previous year, it was just structured in a way that he got roster and performance bonuses. He ended up earning -$8.8 million, which is entirely too much considering how much of a headache he turned out to be and how bad the team was performing.

The Cowboys did a great job of giving themselves an out if he didn’t behave, yet they didn’t take advantage of it. My guess is they thought they would eventually get a comp pick if they lost him to free agency so they kept him around. Nothing else makes any sense to me.

Hardy was franchised the previous year at 13mil. He was due for his first free agent contract, which naturally would have been bigger. We signed him at 11mil, which got prorated down by him missing his weekly roster bonuses for his suspension to 8.8mil.

We got a discount relative to the tag, a discount relative to free market price if he weren't a head case, and gained the rights to franchise him ourselves and the inside track to sign him long term.

It was the usual Jerry bet for a win if he pans outs, and a wash if he doesn't. To be fair to Hardy, and the deal, he probably has a better season if the team hadn't simply tanked when Romo went down. He certainly started out great. His presence made a difference for Lawrence's production. And I'm sure he wasn't the only player who checked out before the season was over.

chagus

Reaction score
I want to say T.O. even thouht he wasn't a bust per se,he was a tumor that had to be removed.

But, I'll go with Mike Vanderjagt........we had always been cheap with kickers and spent a lot of money on this guy to blow chunks.
TO was awesome, actually. Ill agree on Vandercrap.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Hardy was franchised the previous year at 13mil. He was due for his first free agent contract, which naturally would have been bigger. We signed him at 11mil, which got prorated down by him missing his weekly roster bonuses for his suspension to 8.8mil.

We got a discount relative to the tag, a discount relative to free market price if he weren't a head case, and gained the rights to franchise him ourselves and the inside track to sign him long term.

It was the usual Jerry bet for a win if he pans outs, and a wash if he doesn't. To be fair to Hardy, and the deal, he probably has a better season if the team hadn't simply tanked when Romo went down. He certainly started out great. His presence made a difference for Lawrence's production. And I'm sure he wasn't the only player who checked out before the season was over.
Right, but his contract had an opportunity to equal the $13.1 million franchise tag from the year before if he played all games and hit his incentives. If he hit 8 sacks he would have gotten $500k bonus and going up to a maximum of $1.8 million for 14 sacks. He did get suspended for 4 games so he missed those roster bonuses and he didn’t hit his sack incentives. I thought the contract structure was brilliant.

I guess you could say we got a discount relative to paying him what he should have been worth had he not gotten in trouble and if he actually performed up to the level at which he was capable

He stated after he was cut that having the Cowboys behind you was like having the biggest bully on your back and it launched him into a party phase and he got away of reality. Kind of surprising to me that he blew that chance. He was already a headache prior to the team starting to lose. They could just never get him to behave right from the start.

Last edited:

BermyStar

Reaction score
Had he been an FA signing Roy Williams would be the worse. But we had to outdo ourselves and trade for him :facepalm:

I'll go with Greg Hardy because of the total package.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He stated after he was cut that having the Cowboys behind you was like having the biggest bully on your back and it launched him into a party phase and he got away of reality. Kind of surprising to me that he blew that chance. He was already a headache prior to the team starting to lose. They could just never get him to behave right from the start.

Biggest bully at your back or on your back?
Did he feel bullied by the Cowboys, or backed up by them?

Yeah, it is kind of a puzzle how guys can't get it together with millions on line. Hell, just suck it up for a year, get a big signing bonus the next year, then go back to your jerkoff ways.

The Underwear Thief too. He hits the jackpot with a chance to start behind the oline that gave Murray his gazillions, and decides to go on a crime spree for the next year.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Marcellus Wiley - signed for 4 years $16 million....played one season for us.

Off the top of my head he would be my choice. Honestly though I wasn’t thrilled when we signed him he looked washed up in San Diego. He only had 9 sacks his last two seasons with the Chargers.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What about Tony Banks? Signed to replace Troy Aikman as starting QB and replaced in camp in favor of Quincy Carter.

And stop saying “Roy Williams,” people. Jesus wept.