For the sake of argument let’s assume we let Dak walk

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Obviously we can’t rely on this idiotic organization to draft well defensively. Their big misses and risk in recent years draft is why this defense is so inept .

There’s been one segment to prop up this otherwise bottom feeder franchise from total embarrassment, our offense.

True, if they don't start drafting better, there are no free agent moves that can fix that.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
True, it has to be a combo of good drafting and smart free agent moves. The player I'm most disappointed in is Jaylon Smith. When he was drafted and would be unavailable for a year while healing up, I thought that maybe Jerry had made a smart move. I'm surprised he hasn't been playing better.

I still have little faith that Smith wouldn't have been available in the 3rd or later round, in fact I'd not have been surprised if he wasn't drafted at all, because of the injury, it wasn't just a torn ACL or such that players recover from fully all the time, he had nerve damage which can many times NEVER heal.

Didn't like the move then and I said so at the time, considering where he was drafted to me he's near a bust....

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Ok. So what are willing to give up . One or two #1 picks?

And how much does that put on hold rebuilding the defense?

Will we expect this drafted QB to make an immediate impact or does this mean more of a total rebuild ?

This is why we hired McCarthy for a total rebuild ??

I just don’t see Jethro and Son going in this direction.

Yes I consider to be in a rebuild mode when you no longer have your starting QB and I would look to get the best rookie QB I can get, being a top 10 pick makes it easier. I don't buy into the band aid approach, when Dallas was going through QB's after White retired it took awhile before Troy Aikman, when he retired we went through some hack QB, retreads and ended up lucking out on Romo.

Yes I put a hold on rebuilding of defense since I would have just lost the most important position on the team.

Thankfully this is hypothetical and I fully expect to have my starting QB signed and behind center, I don't think Dak will get tagged because I think that is something neither side wants

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If they let Dak go (via trade - they won't let him just walk) - then I'd do this:

Trade to Carolina - they went hard after Stafford. Get the 8th pick, 2nd rounder and next years 2nd (do not think they would be able to get next year 1st as well as this year 2nd)

Sign Dalton to 1 year deal
Draft Sewell or Slater with 8th pick
Draft Farley or Surtain with 10th pick
In 2nd - draft Mac Jones and then best DT or S available

Diehardblues

Reaction score
True, if they don't start drafting better, there are no free agent moves that can fix that.
And why I wouldn’t abort our strength which is our offense including Dak . At least until we can build a better defense thru the draft.

Unless we think we can get one of these top QB’s coming out which Lawrence is all but going to Jags. They aren’t letting him go. That’s why Urban is going back to coaching .

Regardless whether we believe that’s a good option , I just don’t see Jethro and Son willing to give up multiple picks including probably multiple #1’s to move up. All because they aren’t willing to pay Dak.

If I thought that was a possibility I’d certainly state so. I’m not a Dak Homer but based on our Football Idiots history this era he appears our best option at this time to remain competitive. We need our offense to carry this team. And Dak has been enough for the limited success we’ve had to remain relative and interesting even without a good defense.

And why I’d resign him even if it means over paying some ( which in a couple years won’t look as bad)while drafting a QB in 1st or 2nd round.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Then what...

Draft a QB . Do we try and move up in draft and what do we give up assuming anyone takes the bait or do we settle for whatever falls in our slot??

And how long until he’s developed assuming our Football Idiots draft someone as good as Dak has been.

Do we extend Dalton or go after another aged veteran QB to tie us over until we find a draft pick as good as we got lucky with Dak.

How many years do we wait to become relevant and interesting again?

Im not sure everyone has thought this thru.

Well.........we will suck. One of worst teams in NFL. And we might be that way for the next 10 years. It might take us 3 years to build a D and wont even have a QB by then. At least now, half the team is built with a top 5 QB in his prime. All we need to do is concentrate on the defense.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
And why I wouldn’t abort our strength which is our offense including Dak . At least until we can build a better defense thru the draft.

Unless we think we can get one of these top QB’s coming out which Lawrence is all but going to Jags. They aren’t letting him go. That’s why Urban is going back to coaching .

Regardless whether we believe that’s a good option , I just don’t see Jethro and Son willing to give up multiple picks including probably multiple #1’s to move up. All because they aren’t willing to pay Dak.

If I thought that was a possibility I’d certainly state so. I’m not a Dak Homer but based on our Football Idiots history this era he appears our best option at this time to remain competitive. We need our offense to carry this team. And Dak has been enough for the limited success we’ve had to remain relative and interesting even without a good defense.

And why I’d resign him even if it means over paying some ( which in a couple years won’t look as bad)while drafting a QB in 1st or 2nd round.

Love where your heads at. And the best part is in a year we can shed anchors like Zeke and Jaylon. that will open up 25-30 million in salary. Smith coming off the books soon, another 12 million. And if we can resign Gallup for reasonable and Lamb continues to stardom we can actually shed Coopers 20 million.

Dak has shown he can carry an offense with adverse conditions. Doesnt need Zeke anymore and even without a top Oline he can carry the offense.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Your assumption is Jerry would not give up 2 #1 for a QB yet Jerry has giving up 2 #1 for WR in Galloway and in Roy Williams. I think Jerry would give up 2 #1 for a top QB in the draft but again I don't think it will happen because I think when all is said and done they will have Dak in the fold.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

Let Dak go, the offense will drop significantly, unless you can sign Rodgers or somebody similar. The defense was so bad last year that you aren't going to push it to top-10 status with a couple of good draft picks, but you can improve it with a couple of good draft picks, after all it was near dead last in 2020, hard to see how it can get worse. But with a lot of draft picks or only a couple of draft picks, the defense is going to be average

So you can have a mediocre offense and an average defense, or a very good offense and an average defense.

Which do think has the best chance to win the SB?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Your assumption is Jerry would not give up 2 #1 for a QB yet Jerry has giving up 2 #1 for WR in Galloway and in Roy Williams. I think Jerry would give up 2 #1 for a top QB in the draft but again I don't think it will happen because I think when all is said and done they will have Dak in the fold.
I understand but the trade for Galloway and Roy was much like the trade for Cooper. He thought that’s all we needed.

I could only see Jethro doing as such if we couldn’t get a deal done with Dak. Which I think we will even if it means overpaying. Which is fairly normal due to whatever the current market is.

I think fans make too much of the contract. The bottomline is do we think Dak is enough to build around . Those who don’t think so don’t want Dak around regardless his contract.

Brax

Reaction score
And you’re taking into consideration our dysfunctional organization ability to find a better QB. Which must be part of the thought process .
Does it matter if the team is 9-8 8-9 7-10 or 5-12 4-13 6-11 there is no SB so the whole question of Dak is irrelevant and the only way he should be resigned is with a incentive deal that max's at 13% of cap max with a SB win so the team can build a good solid D Dak needs to support him. The Jones twins and Willy are not drafting a stud D as Jerry believes O wins championships and signing Dak to a elite $$ QB is the same Mistake made with Romo on the extension. Nothing in 5 years starting, should be good bye QB. Not Jerry he will do the stupid, book it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Let Dak go, the offense will drop significantly, unless you can sign Rodgers or somebody similar. The defense was so bad last year that you aren't going to push it to top-10 status with a couple of good draft picks, but you can improve it with a couple of good draft picks, after all it was near dead last in 2020, hard to see how it can get worse. But with a lot of draft picks or only a couple of draft picks, the defense is going to be average

So you can have a mediocre offense and an average defense, or a very good offense and an average defense.

Which do think has the best chance to win the SB?
Signing Rodgers is the best alternative plan proposed thus far. I’m not sure who wouldn’t endorse signing the MVP?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I understand but must the trade for Galloway and Roy was much like the trade fir Cooper. He thought that’s all we needed.

I could only see Jethro doing as such if we couldn’t get a deal done with Dak. Which I think we will even if it means overpaying. Which is fairly normal due to whatever the current market is.

I think fans make too much of the contract. The bottomline is do we think Dak is enough to build around . Those who don’t think so don’t want Dak around regardless his contract.

Cooper we gave up a 1st and got 1st rd talent out of him. I like Galloway but even then felt we gave up too much for a WR but Jerry was trying to squeeze out 1 more SB with Aikman and Emmitt still in house. Roy Williams deal was just bad.

I agree those who do not want Dak contract is not the real issue they just don't want him.

Haimerej

Reaction score

That strength has been no better than 16th in redzone scoring over the last 3 years, twice in the 20's. That's with all these "weapons," too.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Does it matter if the team is 9-8 8-9 7-10 or 5-12 4-13 6-11 there is no SB so the whole question of Dak is irrelevant and the only way he should be resigned is with a incentive deal that max's at 13% of cap max with a SB win so the team can build a good solid D Dak needs to support him. The Jones twins and Willy are not drafting a stud D as Jerry believes O wins championships and signing Dak to a elite $$ QB is the same Mistake made with Romo on the extension. Nothing in 5 years starting, should be good bye QB. Not Jerry he will do the stupid, book it.
It may not matter to us but I think it does to Jerry. He stated recently his priorities with “ relative and interesting “.