For those of you Bashing David Irving, don't forget Gregory

sjmike

Reaction score
I would cut ties with Irving. He can be here if he wants but chooses not to? Even a playoff run doesn't get him excited enough to come in and help his team? Not the type of player I want on the team. And it's a shame. He has so much talent. Could possibly put this defense over the top. Good riddance in the offseason

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I don't know the whole story, I do know he was suspended 4 games last season, then suspended 4 games this season. Had an ankle injury so has missed more time, is not showing up at the facility. As I said with Gregory he is here for 1 reason only and that is too help this team win games and if you’re not doing that then we need to draft and acquire players who can.

That is understood by all fans on this site, but the assumptions and name calling has nothing to do with any of his issues. There have been reports of him being at the facility, so your statement is not factual. Those that are in the know, are well aware of his situation, and they must deem it non-detrimental in order to allow him to still be an active member of the team. Mr. Irving will find himself without a job if, and only if the Dallas Cowboys choose to go that route.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I didn't know you personally know Irving my man, that's awesome! Since you seem to be on the up and up with DI call him up and get his *** to the facility.
If a call got him there we wouldn't be having this thread.
He lives close enough to hear the air horns go off at practice.

It doesn't take a lot to read the reports of who missed practice --prominently featuring DI's name or when he didn't report for training camp as the lone hold out a few years in a row.
You've put more energy into defending DI than he does to get to the facility.

Instead of wasting your energy on this goofball stuff perhaps a thread on Ant Woods?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
When you get popped at the combines and everyone know you will be tested that is stupid. Then to fail test after test is stupid. There were other medications that evidently he is taking now to help and this all could have been avoided

It's actually a more complex issue than that.

Those tests are easy to beat, by the way. You can dilute them, by drinking a lot of water (since the test measures parts per million). But I guess Randy never researched how do to that apparently.

But to have the NFL tied in to the pharmaceutical industry, like by the rules to dictate what treatments people can/cannot treat themselves with/use/ingest ... is outdated and authoritarian...

The NFL is a dinosaur in that regard.

I suspect, since we have a natural cycle, the NFL will eventually get up to speed on this, when all of the old, idealists fans who they cater their rules to finally cycle out.

We're looking at probably a decade or so, most likely.

Until then, I'll support Randy Gregory and shame the NFL for its outdated rules.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
That is understood by all fans on this site, but the assumptions and name calling has nothing to do with any of his issues. There have been reports of him being at the facility, so your statement is not factual. Those that are in the know, are well aware of his situation, and they must deem it non-detrimental in order to allow him to still be an active member of the team. Mr. Irving will find himself without a job if, and only if the Dallas Cowboys choose to go that route.

Fans have no say in any of this only opinions. I am of an opinion that I would much rather release him and draft or acquire a DT without the excess baggage. In all fairness I felt that way when they announced he was going to be suspended for 4 games after he had been suspended 4 games to start the 2017 season. 2nd chances are one thing but getting burned by him in back to back seasons is a bit much.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It's actually a more complex issue than that.

Those tests are easy to beat.. you dilute them, by drinking a lot of water (since the test measures parts per million). But I guess Randy never researched how do to that apparently.

To have the NFL tied in to the pharmaceutical industry, like by the rules dictates what treatments people can use, is outdated and authoritarian...

The NFL is a dinosaur in that regard.

I suspect, since we have a natural cycle, the NFL will eventually get up to speed on this, when all of the old, idealists fans who they cater their rules to finally cycle out.

We're looking at probably a decade or so, most likely.

Until then, I'll support Randy Gregory and shame the NFL for its outdated rules.

Playing in the NFL is an opportunity and for those who have the talent to play in the NFL they have to abide by the rules of the NFL if you can then you have a great opportunity to make money and to play the game. If you can't then that is on the person himself. NFL like any business has a right to implement their own rules and frankly their rules are easy compared to what many of us deal with. Player has to fail 4 times before they actually get any real punishment. For me I am randomly tested and If I fail I'm out of here there is not 3rd and 4th and 5th chances and believe me my paycheck is much less. I choose to work for this employer but to do so I understand it is their rules and I can either abide by them or I can go find another job

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Playing in the NFL is an opportunity and for those who have the talent to play in the NFL they have to abide by the rules of the NFL if you can then you have a great opportunity to make money and to play the game. If you can't then that is on the person himself. NFL like any business has a right to implement their own rules and frankly their rules are easy compared to what many of us deal with. Player has to fail 4 times before they actually get any real punishment. For me I am randomly tested and If I fail I'm out of here there is not 3rd and 4th and 5th chances and believe me my paycheck is much less. I choose to work for this employer but to do so I understand it is their rules and I can either abide by them or I can go find another job

The only people who cry about standards are those who fail to live up to them.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The only people who cry about standards are those who fail to live up to them.

They act like it is some god given right to play in the NFL, it is not. The NFL can provide a life style that only a few will ever get a chance at but with it comes rules the league has implemented. Even in places like Colorado where weed is legal courts have said employers still have the rights to drug test employees. For me I don't care if the NFL one day says they will no longer drug test. What I do care about is players following the rules that are in place to avoid being suspended

jrumann59

Reaction score
Gregory's issues were more about the league thinking a hundred years behind the times than any real "problem" Gregory had.

The good 'ole authoritarian NFL....
Good ole everyday employment rules...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They act like it is some god given right to play in the NFL, it is not. The NFL can provide a life style that only a few will ever get a chance at but with it comes rules the league has implemented. Even in places like Colorado where weed is legal courts have said employers still have the rights to drug test employees. For me I don't care if the NFL one day says they will no longer drug test. What I do care about is players following the rules that are in place to avoid being suspended

Exactly.

And they ignore the fact that every player knows what the rules are when they agree to sign that big-money contract. But then some will ignorantly cry about the fact that the guy failed to live up to his end.

It has nothing to do with feeling the test is just or unjust, the rules in place are the rules in place. If that's a deal breaker for anyone, walk away, find somewhere else to work. That's certainly a person's right to work where they choose to if they're qualified.

conner01

Reaction score
Like it was with Rolando McClain? We heard the same talk when he was throwing his career away too. Some fans can't bring themselves to accept the facts when it's simply bad news. Then, after it's confirmed, they "don't want to talke about the past or players not on the team".
It may very well be a rolando type situation and if it is he’s done. It may be a substance abuse issue or something mental. I don’t know what the issue is but cutting him would have been crazy since he was gonna get paid either way and you could loose a comp pick
Now the season is over for him and he will be a free agent so we will see what the issues were

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
What really makes me mad even with Gregory, is people sat here saying it was because of his anxiety disorder and that somehow weed was the only solution. Fact is he is clean and I seriously doubt they found a cure for his anxiety disorder and that there were other means to treat this so all those suspension could have and should have been avoided to begin with.

There are a myriad of different ways to deal with anxiety and a myriad of medications to deal with anxiety, and those two things can be combined in a myriad of different ways.

And after a medication or other ways, or a combination of those ways is tried you have to wait for a while to see if they work.

It's not a simple, easy or short time frame process...

kskboys

Reaction score
Don't do drugs and show up for work on time is required of the majority of the people in this country. It's really not that difficult.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It may very well be a rolando type situation and if it is he’s done. It may be a substance abuse issue or something mental. I don’t know what the issue is but cutting him would have been crazy since he was gonna get paid either way and you could loose a comp pick
Now the season is over for him and he will be a free agent so we will see what the issues were

I think a lot of what you're saying is accurate. I don't think the Cowboys were interested in getting into a fight with a player about money. They've lost three times before with McClain, Jay Ratliff, and Kyle Orton. They typically take their lumps and move on. I think it's the same here.

conner01

Reaction score
I think a lot of what you're saying is accurate. I don't think the Cowboys were interested in getting into a fight with a player about money. They've lost three times before with McClain, Jay Ratliff, and Kyle Orton. They typically take their lumps and move on. I think it's the same here.
It also preserves a comp pick if he signs somewhere else

Doomsday101

Reaction score
There are a myriad of different ways to deal with anxiety and a myriad of medications to deal with anxiety, and those two things can be combined in a myriad of different ways.

And after a medication or other ways, or a combination of those ways is tried you have to wait for a while to see if they work.

It's not a simple, easy or short time frame process...

and there are alternatives to smoking weed. He knows this and has spoken on this in the past.

conner01

Reaction score
That's the only valid explanation for why he's still around.
Teams really look at comp picks now days
Most are nothing special but a 3rd or 4th rnd pick has a decent chance of being a contributor
And now that you can trade them they are even more valuable
I’m hoping if he goes he gets a huge contract, same with Beasley if he goes