For those w/ NFL Sunday Ticket...

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
silverbear said:
I was born in Anchorage-- Elmendorf AFB Hospital, to be exact...

So, do you guys have any snow on the ground yet?? :p:

We have some termination dust on the mts now. You are prolly asking yourself. Termination dust? Well Ill tell you then...since you are kind enough to ask.

During the gold mining days, when the first Autumn snow fell, it was the signal to the miners that they should terminate operations for the year and retreat to town for the winter. They called it "termination dust". :p:

Elmendorf AFB is just a spit and hop away from me.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Dallas said:
We have some termination dust on the mts now. You are prolly asking yourself. Termination dust? Well Ill tell you then...since you are kind enough to ask.

During the gold mining days, when the first Autumn snow fell, it was the signal to the miners that they should terminate operations for the year and retreat to town for the winter. They called it "termination dust". :p:

Elmendorf AFB is just a spit and hop away from me.

I've actually heard that term before... I always figured if you didn't heed the warning of the "termination dust", it was YOU who'd wind up terminated...

You do not mess around with an Alaska winter... it's safer to go pet the cuddly Kodiak cubs...

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I have only experienced a total breakdown due to rain once...and that was only for a few minutes when during a rainstorm that got "super intense".

I go to the setup area of my reciever and look through the transponders to see which is getting the strongest signal. I think there are 30 some odd ones.

Of course I only use the dish during football games. I'm a cable guy the rest of the time.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
silverbear said:
I got a really great tip this spring that I'm anxious to try next time the snows fly-- they say if you spray your minidish with Pam, the snow won't stick, it'll just slide right off... I'm just worried that a little too lavish application of the stuff would mess up the reception, so I plan on starting with a light dusting, see how that works out...

My DTV dish is not all that conveniently located, though I can get at it when the need arises...

Interesting idea....I might just try it.

I guess you could try silicone spray also.

Eddie

Reaction score
My DirecTV is being installed this afternoon. Can I get a HELL YEAH!!!

I missed the first three games, but I'm still gonna make up for it!!!

Can anyone tell me how I record from Satellite? Is it just like Cable?

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
Eddie said:

I have my vcr set up using the TV out port on the satt box. I have AV cables going from the satt box straight to the TV AV inputs. Then I have the VCR TV out going to the TV coax inputs. Works great for recording satt stuff.

I have had it for five years about maybe a total of an hour or two of missed programming. The rain has be very heavy and the clouds have to be in just the right position to block the signal.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
lurkercowboy said:
I have my vcr set up using the TV out port on the satt box. I have AV cables going from the satt box straight to the TV AV inputs. Then I have the VCR TV out going to the TV coax inputs. Works great for recording satt stuff.

I have had it for five years about maybe a total of an hour or two of missed programming. The rain has be very heavy and the clouds have to be in just the right position to block the signal.
That's how I did it, too... And I also only missed maybe 20 minutes due to storms in a few years of having it.

You're going to love it, Eddie... The dish to cable is like the NFL to Arena League. ;)

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Eddie said:

Excellent Ediie, You should have only missed 1 game tho. Last weeks game was on channel 5 in NY and the MNF game was on ESPN.

Welcome to the club bro !

k19

Reaction score
Congrats on getting the setup Eddie

As far as the original question goes...
I had Directv for years and I had them come and do the install when I moved to S GA. I went back and repostioned the dish using an actual signal strength meter because I was having problems losing signal from time to time.
Even with the dish setup almost perfectly using the meter I could use my Sat to tell the weather without going outside. We get alot of our storms comming up off the gulf to the south. Since the dish points South it would lose signal when heavily saturated clouds would move in from that direction. You'd lose signal then 10 minutes later it would rain. Of course we lose signal during huricanes too but thats to be expected