For Those Who Don’t Like That We Paid Dak, What Was Your Alternative?

817Gill

Reaction score
I’ve seen a lot of “we shouldn’t have paid him” talk and I’m genuinely curious as to what you resident CowboysZone GM’s would’ve done. He’s a top 10 QB. The way the market works is the next man up in that top 10ish bracket gets a top contract. He’s the 4th highest paid right now, in two years he’ll be the 8th or 9th. He’s not the highest paid QB forever. His teammates adore him there’s no way not signing him would go over well in the locker room. I don’t see any scenario where we let him go and are 10-4 at this point in the season.

What would’ve been y’all’s alternative? A rookie QB and miss out on the next best thing since LT? Try to sell the farm to Seattle when they obviously weren’t interested in trading away their only hope for winning football?

Seriously, what would y’all have done this offseason if you cut the chord on Dak?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I said sign Brady to a 3 year deal when New England let him go.

I also wanted to attempt a trade for Derek Carr as well as move up in the draft for a QB like Justin Herbert (imagine we had done that).

The absolute wrong thing to do is what we did and just give Dak whatever he wanted. Massive screw up.

We got a 27 mill a year QB getting paid like he’s the best QB in football.

817Gill

Reaction score
Draw a line in the sand at 30 million coming off the injury and see if someone else takes him.
Lmaoooooo dude. The Washington Football Team would’ve absolutely taken him. Denver would’ve absolutely taken him. Detroit would’ve absolutely taken him. Chicago would’ve absolutely taken him. Carolina would’ve absolutely taken him.

Not sure if you guys really follow the league or not. You see what the Vikes did for Kirk? Even if you don’t think Dak’s that good a desperate team absolutely pays him and leaves us with no QB. Every offseason there’s a desperate franchise that takes a big swing at a QB. Chicago paid Mike Glennon lol. Jax paid Foles. You think no one pays Dak lol?

If y’all think other teams wouldn’t have offered the guy 38+ M you’re severely out of touch. Not to mention more than 30M. 35M would’ve been a steal in this market, 1000% someone signs him for more than 30.

C’mon guys that’s not even a plausible option.

visionary

Reaction score
I’ve seen a lot of “we shouldn’t have paid him” talk and I’m genuinely curious as to what you resident CowboysZone GM’s would’ve done. He’s a top 10 QB. The way the market works is the next man up in that top 10ish bracket gets a top contract. He’s the 4th highest paid right now, in two years he’ll be the 8th or 9th. He’s not the highest paid QB forever. His teammates adore him there’s no way not signing him would go over well in the locker room. I don’t see any scenario where we let him go and are 10-4 at this point in the season.

What would’ve been y’all’s alternative? A rookie QB and miss out on the next best thing since LT? Try to sell the farm to Seattle when they obviously weren’t interested in trading away their only hope for winning football?

Seriously, what would y’all have done this offseason if you cut the chord on Dak?

LOL “next best thing since LT” from people who didn’t even want him drafted

if you’re asking this question it has to be done in the context of what we knew before we paid Dak

can’t do this in hindsight

817Gill

Reaction score

I also wanted to attempt a trade for Derek Carr as well as move up in the draft for a QB like Justin Herbert (imagine we had done that).

The absolute wrong thing to do is what we did and just give Dak whatever he wanted. Massive screw up.

We have 0 idea if Brady even considered Dallas. The FO and coaching may not have been stable enough for him. You have any realistic suggestions? Derek Carr for Dak is a lateral move for Oakland and they have to pay more, why would they make that trade?

Only 12 or so guys in the league that can perform as good or better than Dak for the entirety of the year. The odds we make an upgrade are slim to none. You can sacrifice the chance to be a competitive playoff team for cap space, I like actually watching my team be viable rather than have imaginary cap space that doesn’t do squat for us on the field.

Every QB outside of Rodgers and Brady has been a roller coaster this year. Jackson, Murray, Carr, Mahomes, even Herbert had a funk for a few weeks. This is the nature of the difficult NFL.

Last edited:

817Gill

Reaction score
LOL “next best thing since LT” from people who didn’t even want him drafted

if you’re asking this question it has to be done in the context of what we knew before we paid Dak

can’t do this in hindsight
We knew we had a high first rounded and needed a lot of help on defense. That in itself is enough to not invest a high pick into a rookie QB. You have faith that we pick the right rookie QB?

Regardless, the point stands. We would’ve missed out on a generational player to roll the dice on a QB upgrade. No available QB from this offseason has been better than Dak this year.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score

So either sign Brady (of which there is no idea if Brady ever even considered the Cowboys or anyone but Tampa) or pie-in-the-sky trade scenarios that would have never happened. Sounds about right.

visionary

Reaction score

I’ll take years of Brady over 5 years of Dak any day

Carr is the same level as Dak for much less money

either option would have been better

visionary

Reaction score
We knew we had a high first rounded and needed a lot of help on defense. That in itself is enough to not invest a high pick into a rookie QB. You have faith that we pick the right rookie QB?

Regardless, the point stands. We would’ve missed out on a generational player to roll the dice on a QB upgrade. No available QB from this offseason has been better than Dak this year.

the ignorance on this board is overwhelming

you don’t draft a QB for year
You do it for the next 10

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
I’ll take years of Brady over 5 years of Dak any day

Carr is the same level as Dak for much less money

either option would have been better

Carr was the highest-paid QB in the league 4 years ago. He's now 14th.

Dak's contract will follow the same trajectory. It shows how little some of you understand the business of football that this simple concept of salary cap inflation and the QB market seems to escape you.