For those who want Weis as our next coach...

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
He signed a 10yr deal with ND today thru 2015

NEWS UPDATE

Charlie Weis signs 10-year deal to coach Notre Dame through 2015

Saturday, October 29, 2005

SOUTH BEND, Ind.
First-year Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis signed a new 10-year contract Saturday that will keep him as the Irish coach through the 2015 season.
Weis, whose No. 9 Fighting Irish are off to a 5-2 start this season, signed a six-year contract that ran through 2010 when he was hired last December. The new 10-year agreement takes effect next season.

"In a very short period of time, Charlie has clearly and impressively demonstrated the ability to take the Notre Dame program where we all want it to go," Notre Dame athletics director Kevin White said.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Hell yeah, just wait til Weis, with his NFL connections, actually gets full into the recruiting swing...

Silverstar

Reaction score
I predict a lot more ND players becoming Cowboys in the near future.

:)

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
This doesn't really mean too much. It's a good indication that he wants to stay in Notre Dame, but college contracts are net set in stone. Basically, if Jerry Jones or any other owner wanted him as the coach, they'd have to pay Notre Dame a certain amount of dollars to buy him out of his contract.

Rich......

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Contract schmontract.....those things are bought and sold daily. I'd love to see him in Dallas.......Notre Dame or not.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
It doesn't matter how many years he signed for. He can coach in the NFL anytime he likes. He can't coach another NCAA team (unless ND terminates his contract). But he can coach in the NFL at any time.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
This doesn't really mean too much. It's a good indication that he wants to stay in Notre Dame, but college contracts are net set in stone. Basically, if Jerry Jones or any other owner wanted him as the coach, they'd have to pay Notre Dame a certain amount of dollars to buy him out of his contract.

Rich......

No he wouldn't. I'm pretty sure as long as he's moving to another level of coaching (up to the NFL or down to High School) he can do it at any time and no one would have to pay Notre Dame a dime.

jksmith269

Reaction score
Rack said:
No he wouldn't. I'm pretty sure as long as he's moving to another level of coaching (up to the NFL or down to High School) he can do it at any time and no one would have to pay Notre Dame a dime.
There was talk earlier in the week that his contract buy out was 1.5 million and a NFL GM said many teams would willingly buy out his contract to have him coach their team. Soit's my understanding for him to coach in the NFL or anywhere else for that matter his contract would have to be bought out. Now the new contract prob has a lot higher buy out than the 1.5 million. I think Weis did this to take the speculation away from him moving up to the NFL. He's happy where he's at and what everyone needs to remember is this isn't really his team. When and if he's still winning in 3 years then I'd consider him for the NFL but not one year in college.

DLK150

The Quiet Man
Reaction score
Don't underestimate Weis' commitment to his family. One of the pluses he cited to coming to ND besides his ties to the school was the regional autism center at the Logan Center in South Bend. It's not always just about the money or the job.

If I remember, he named two schools as jobs he would favor, ND and South Carolina. He took the ND job, but his plan is to retire in SC, where they're building a farm for disabled children. If he decided to jump back to the NFL and uproot his family, I wouldn't be surprised to see it be as the Panthers' HC.

Glenn Carano

Reaction score
He's not leaving. I've been trying to tell everyone, but no. Alot
of people say he'll jump for the money and that NFL jobs have
more prestige. :confused:

Charlie's a man of his word and if he says he's staying at ND and fulfilling his contract, going to retire there and watch his son graduate from ND you better believe him. End of story. If he wins at ND, his Alma Mater, there's no other better Head Coaching job in America, period. If he wins at ND he'll be more popular and more well known than any NFL coach nowadays. Why is that so hard for some of you to understand? Bellichek has won 3 of 4 Super Bowls, and while WE all know who he is and know he's a great coach(some sports fans couldn't name the Pats head coach right now), if Charlie were to somehow win 3 of 4 National Titles at ND just about everybody, sports fan or not, would know his name.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Most posters here are so jaded they cannot recognize true honor and integrity when it slaps them in the face. That is Charlie Weis personified. He is at ND untill he retires- and at the rate he is going, he could very well rival Rockne in legendary status by that time. He would be a GOD in South Bend- like Bear Bryant was in ALabama.
Rumors are that his salary will be upped to the $3 million range in later years, with very large bonuses for BCS appearences and NC's. A buyout would be into 8 figures.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
Newsflash:

WE HAVE BILL FREAKING PARCELLS AS OUR HEAD COACH!

Geez.
Some people just can't be satisfied.

You must have forgotten about Campo... Gailey...

jksmith269

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
Newsflash:

WE HAVE BILL FREAKING PARCELLS AS OUR HEAD COACH!

Geez.
Some people just can't be satisfied.

You must have forgotten about Campo... Gailey...

I'm not sure who your shouting that at but if you notice I said "for those who wanted" Myself I don't think he has had enough time at ND to prove he's a True HC. He's winning with another coaches team. I say give him 3 years and see how he's doing before claiming him great HC....

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
I'm just calling out many in general.

Seems people are always talking about our next Coach, our next Quarterback, our next draft and so on.

I say, look at our current position.
A pretty sweet one.
And I think our Coach and QB are currently more than anyone could ask for.
Appreciate it while we have it and remember when we didn't.

JMO.

zagnut

Reaction score
Willingham was 7-0 in his first 7 games in year one at ND and was national coach of the year. We'll see how much Weiss is loved in 3 years when the faithful realize they're still not among the elite teams in the nation. Join a conference or stay irrelevant.

burmafrd

Reaction score
a hater huh? I guess you are not smart enough to tell the difference between then and now- totally different. But then again your whole post was pretty dumb.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
You sure like calling people dumb, don't you Bum?

Better be careful, you may find yourself banned if you keep up with that stuff.

Let's see how smart YOU are from here on out. ;)