For you DraftBustniks

Pokes12

Reaction score
A week ago you all were claiming Trey was a bust after a few throws against the Rams. Now the same are saying he played better than everyone except Caleb yesterday.
Here is what you do not understand. Trey did not play much high school football and then only played one year of essentially junior college football. You want to compare him to QBs who played for years in major football programs. Now I guess it might be fair since the 49ers saw something in him that ended up costing them lots of ones. Drafting is not an exact science. Trey didn’t work out but the last player in the draft did. Who would have thunk it!!

Here is what we see in Lance. He is a gifted athlete. He had command of the football team and leads well. His accuracy is not always great. Can it be fixed? I don’t know. He shows nice touch in his wheel routes and bootleg passes short. Much better than Dak. In two games he has taken good care of the ball. No fumbles or INTs. Dak is careless with many of his passes and he has been doing this for nine years as a pro.

Trey can be used situationally throughout the season to show a different look and take advantage of his his dramatic running ability.
As others have pointed out we are not keeping him around for short money so he may be grooming for a chance on another team.

I for one, have seen all I need to see from Dak. He is a nice guy. He can load up stats as good as the next guy, especially when the defense gives him scores from turnovers. He is a great front runner. He is a good in season bus driver of a QB. He is awful in the post season. Danny White HD better success than Dak and he was a hit mess in the playoffs. Dak is more like Craig Morton without Morton’s tremendous arm strength. Bottom line, if you want to win in the post season Dak is not your answer.
Jerruh will keep him, pay him a ton of money because for 16 games he is more than serviceable and frankly that is all that is needed to keep the fans spending money on merchandise, tickets, and food and beverages at Jerruh World. Jerruh is a master at making money. There is no denying that!!

Back to Trey. I think there is raw talent and a possibility to be a good QB in the league. I am not taking out the anointing oil just yet. But the drumbeat from some last week that he is a bust was unwarranted and premature.
Let’s all watch his improvement over time and then decide.
I am rooting for this young man. He seems like a diligent and hard working player. You don’t go from playing against weak opponents in junior college to playing in the NFL seamlessly. .

Mod Edit: added spaces / lines for an easier read

Last edited by a moderator:

ghst187

Reaction score
Here’s what I see, someone who is a great athlete but can’t process the plays and make the reads fast enough making his throws late. I don’t see him ever being a legit nfl QB….add in the fact that he’s already on year four and now in need of a new contract…he either accepts a super cheap third stringer deal or he’ll need to go to Europe or Canada to play…

reddyuta

Reaction score
We really dont have the time to correct his accuracy issues,he is FA next season and he is not coming back here as a backup.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here is what you do not understand. Trey did not play much high school football and then only played one year of essentially junior college football. You want to compare him to QBs who played for years in major football programs.
We all understand that. That's not new news. Lance's experience (or lack there of) has been discussed daily in here.

fivetwos

Reaction score
The problem with Lance is his contract.

If and when he finds any measure of success he will need to be paid immediately off a small sample size.

The trade would have made a lot more sense if he had another year or two left on the rookie deal.

But since he is here….I wish they would install some packages to utilize his strengths. I wanted to see that last year, but the QB3/emergency guy isn’t allowed to enter the game without penalty.

Still, I think having that threat, as well as something else for the opponent to prepare for…is worth more than dressing an extra DB to chase down kickoffs.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
All things taken, we should be happy with Lance's progress but we have to remember this is only preseason. He's seeing nothing but vanilla coverages right now.

He needs as many reps as he can get, just like Big Mike says. I only wish we could have seen him work with the starters this month but it looks like Dallas is shutting most of them down for the preaseason.

Creeper

Reaction score
If the Cowboys drafted him and let him sit for 4 years, giving him opportunities every year to develop, it would be one thing. But they traded for him. Didn't give him any opportunities last year and and now he has one year to show what he as because next year the Cowboys either pay him or he walks. If he does not beat out Rush for the backup spot there is no chance Dallas pays him to stay unless he is willing to work for pennies. The The Cowboys should have activated him last year and put him in garbage time games. I don't understand the point of trading for him and never letting him take the field.

Just because he played better last night than the week before does not make him ready to replace Dak, or Rush. He is still very raw and has some serious flaws in his game. He is playing against vanilla defenses in pre-season. He struggles to make good decisions quickly and consistently. Once DCs start game planning for him, the game will move quicker, and be far more complicated for him. Maybe given another couple of years he can be good enough, but he is not good enough right now. The Cowboys do not have the CAP room to spend two more years developing him. The best thing Dallas can do is give him the opportunity to show he still has potential to be an NFL QB. Then maybe some team will give up a day 2 draft pick for him.

Even if the Cowboys refuse to pay Dak $60 million, Lance is the guy to replace him.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
For all intents and purposes, Trey Lance is a bust. He is not even close to being where he was projected when San Fran traded up to get him. Maybe he shouldn't have been drafted in the first round and maybe he has time to change the narrative but when he is evaluated right now, he is a bust.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here’s what I see, someone who is a great athlete but can’t process the plays and make the reads fast enough making his throws late. I don’t see him ever being a legit nfl QB….add in the fact that he’s already on year four and now in need of a new contract…he either accepts a super cheap third stringer deal or he’ll need to go to Europe or Canada to play…
:lmao2:
Fans thinking they can read defenses better. Here is a clue. It is easy to see a defense from the high camera angle and one thinks they know what is going on when they do not.
Fans need to get over this can't read a defense crap.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The problem with Lance is his contract.

If and when he finds any measure of success he will need to be paid immediately off a small sample size.

The trade would have made a lot more sense if he had another year or two left on the rookie deal.

But since he is here….I wish they would install some packages to utilize his strengths. I wanted to see that last year, but the QB3/emergency guy isn’t allowed to enter the game without penalty.

Still, I think having that threat, as well as something else for the opponent to prepare for…is worth more than dressing an extra DB to chase down kickoffs.
They had some packages for him last night. It was good to see. He improved his trade value a bit I think.

ghst187

Reaction score
:lmao2:
Fans thinking they can read defenses better. Here is a clue. It is easy to see a defense from the high camera angle and one thinks they know what is going on when they do not.
Fans need to get over this can't read a defense crap.
I don’t have to read a defense, he does and it’s clear he doesn’t see the field well, doesn’t recognize coervages, and that’s why his throws are always late. You’re changing the frame of the discussion to make it about me instead about the player, that’s a logical fallacy.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t have to read a defense, he does and it’s clear he doesn’t see the field well, doesn’t recognize coervages, and that’s why his throws are always late. You’re changing the frame of the discussion to make it about me instead about the player, that’s a logical fallacy.
You don’t know the entire context of all the plays. And what you say is late, may not be at all.
YoI Already hate the player, so it does not really matter.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Sound like a broken record parroting all you hear

NotForLong

Reaction score
For all intents and purposes, Trey Lance is a bust. He is not even close to being where he was projected when San Fran traded up to get him. Maybe he shouldn't have been drafted in the first round and maybe he has time to change the narrative but when he is evaluated right now, he is a bust.
For all intents and purposes Lance is a Lottery Ticket that may pay big dividends for a low investment

NotForLong

Reaction score
it’s clear he doesn’t see the field well, doesn’t recognize coervages, and that’s why his throws are always late.
I keep hearing all the talking heads running with this troupe . . . and simple minded Cowboy Fans repeat it