For You "Old-Timers"

IceBowler

Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't take it personal at all. I thought it was funny. Fair or not I don't believe they build them like they used to.
We are in complete agreement .. Have a great day and maybe .. just maybe .. we sneak into LA and steal one!

Reactions: CWR

SSoup

Reaction score
Teams provide better medical care because they're protecting their investments (which are bigger than they used to be now that players are more fairly compensated than they used to be).

Players are more aware of the medical realities than they used to be.

Because of the increase in gambling and fantasy sports, there's a bigger thirst for honest reporting on injuries than there used to be. So even though old-timers like you privately (or publicly sometimes) long for the days when players were less taken care of, a huge segment of the fandom actually wants injuries to be acknowledged and adequately treated and adequately reported upon.

FiveSuperBowls

Reaction score
Hey I totally agree with that. They all would be better off with today’s rules. But that’s not the issue was it
Well, back in the mid 80’s, I remember the same discussion as today “oh the players back in the 60’s were tougher, that was real football”? And on and on…

waving monkey

Reaction score
But - if EVERYONE is bigger and faster, doesn't that make it all RELATIVE? For instance, a high school baseball player can't hit a 98 MPH fastball - but the pros do it day it and day out ... just a thought
I suppose so

Mannix

Reaction score
------Is it just me or has anyone over the age of 50 noticed that the never-ending list of injured players on today's teams dwarfs teams from the past?

WoW....I was just thinking that same thing yesterday. It used to crack me up when Parcells would determine and tell the press when asked if a player would be practicing or playing....not the staff and doctors. I do think there are players that aren't practicing and playing that could be.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
Is it just me or has anyone over the age of 50 noticed that the never-ending list of injured players on today's teams dwarfs teams from the past? I know the players are bigger and faster, yada, yada, yada but, I KNOW for a fact they don't hit any harder than back in the day. Heck, the rules don't allow them to ..

Why do these guys seem to run for the medical tent and IR at every opportunity? Pampered, been told you're the hottest thing since Tabasco sauce since you were 12 years old? Business decisions protecting the contract? Free agency and lack of team cohesion?

Love to hear your thoughts ..

As has been said previously, guys today are bigger, stronger, and faster. Teams are FAR more interested in protecting their investments in players today than they were in the past. Player safety is also a part of the CBA. All that contributes to more camping trips to the tent.

Dudes played with concussions 'back in the day'. Now there's an official on high looking for players that seem wobbly so that they can get them off the field.

Put all that together with advancements in medicine and the jump start they can get on treating an injury and maybe that explains the perception that guys get injured more.

Do they actually get injured more? I have no idea and I've been watching for half a century.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Thats right lets blame the milennials for having to go through 2 economic recessions

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Is it just me or has anyone over the age of 50 noticed that the never-ending list of injured players on today's teams dwarfs teams from the past? I know the players are bigger and faster, yada, yada, yada but, I KNOW for a fact they don't hit any harder than back in the day. Heck, the rules don't allow them to ..

Why do these guys seem to run for the medical tent and IR at every opportunity? Pampered, been told you're the hottest thing since Tabasco sauce since you were 12 years old? Business decisions protecting the contract? Free agency and lack of team cohesion?

I don't think they're faking anything, but I do think the scaled back contact they are allowed to do in the offseason and even during the season, makes then unable to handle the contact. It's not like the injuries have gone way down since they eliminated the amount of practices and contact they can have. Not sure. It is a season wrecker.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
I know that this thread was started to call current players wimps (though I would like to see the OP say that to Tyron Smith)

But he needs to blame the league front office, not the players.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I think you are wrong about hitting harder. Today’s athletes are physically bigger and stronger then the past, that’s a fact, 250 lbs. athletes didn’t run 4.5’s yesteryear. There has been a lot of talk about this over the years and one of the theories out out there is the physical build of today’s athletes puts more pressure in the bones, joints and ligaments. The human bodies joints and ligaments just haven’t evolved as the mass and muscle has.

Please note that I’m just the messenger here.
Mass and muscle have not evolved - they have been worked for.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
I don't think they're faking anything, but I do think the scaled back contact they are allowed to do in the offseason and even during the season, makes then unable to handle the contact. It's not like the injuries have gone way down since they eliminated the amount of practices and contact they can have. Not sure. It is a season wrecker.

Who knows if it's true, but Nolan Ryan claims that pitch counts have increased injuries to pitchers in MLB. In his day, starters threw 20+ complete games every year. Now, complete games are rare and injuries are up.

The Brewers just pitched a no-no and pulled their starter after 8. Burnes didn't even complain when he was pulled and he had only thrown 115 pitches. Ryan once threw 235 pitches in a game (got a no decision in that effort). It's HARD to throw a no-hitter and that kid had a 3 run cushion and wasn't given the chance. I think it's bad for fans and bad for baseball, maybe even bad for pitchers' arms (don't know for sure).

The point is that you may be right. Being conditioned to take hits seems like it should make a difference.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Who knows if it's true, but Nolan Ryan claims that pitch counts have increased injuries to pitchers in MLB. In his day, starters threw 20+ complete games every year. Now, complete games are rare and injuries are up.

The Brewers just pitched a no-no and pulled their starter after 8. Burnes didn't even complain when he was pulled and he had only thrown 115 pitches. Ryan once threw 235 pitches in a game (got a no decision in that effort). It's HARD to throw a no-hitter and that kid had a 3 run cushion and wasn't given the chance. I think it's bad for fans and bad for baseball, maybe even bad for pitchers' arms (don't know for sure).

The point is that you may be right. Being conditioned to take hits seems like it should make a difference.

I know, it's illogical. The one example that always stands out to me, are the running backs. How many times have you seen a college RB get drafted and we hear how they have "low mileage" because they've been sharing carries. McFadden/Felix Jones, Marony/MB3, Ronny Brown/Cadillac Williams etc. They were all injury prone. Could it be because their bodies were not accustomed to carrying the full load? Not sure, but that always stood out to me.

aikemirv

Reaction score
But - if EVERYONE is bigger and faster, doesn't that make it all RELATIVE? For instance, a high school baseball player can't hit a 98 MPH fastball - but the pros do it day it and day out ... just a thought
No, because there are no muscles protecting the ankle from rolling or a lot of bones from breaking. The joints and ligaments are the same, only the muscle mass has increased. So in theory some of that could prevent injury but an ankle getting rolled or a knee exploded has no protection from that muscle mass. Sometimes the muscle and strength of a player probably contributes to an injury. Just like the horse collar rule. A horse collar tackle that results in an injury is directly related to the increased strength and weight of both players.

khiladi

Reaction score
Most players are bigger, faster and stronger because of the advancement in PEDs period or tech advancements, such as lighter equipment and faster turf. They also help recovery.

Tech includes things like allowing catching gloves, while guys like Largent caught everything without gloves. In tennis, the hitting power is because of faster rackets, not “technique” differences. In gymnastics, they added things like springs under the floor to add bounce.

With the “bigger, faster, stronger” with PEDs, there are trade-offs, such as they come weaker ligaments for the huge muscles or heart issues, down the road.

Hardly “evolution”…

Last edited:

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Way back when it was popular to, if possible, just get a strong med pain shot and keep playing. There were plenty of injuries we didn't even know about.

khiladi

Reaction score
Sometimes I think the NFL pays so much attention to CTE, because then people won’t focus on how anabolic steroids is linked to anger, depression and ever other mental health issue, including mania and anxiety. Condemning weed while promoting alcohol is just another one of the clear hypocrisy of it all.

“We are doing what we can about mental health!”

NFL and professional sports morality is a complete farce.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Well, back in the mid 80’s, I remember the same discussion as today “oh the players back in the 60’s were tougher, that was real football”? And on and on…
I guess it’s just a sticky issue.

Shane612

Reaction score

Because these players are soft wimps...
Kidding.....
I think because we have more knowledge about head injuries and concussions. And they probably have a miniature medical equipment in the tent to do some preliminary examinations.
Are the players any more safe, because of it?
I don't think so....

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
They are not stronger and they are not more athletic. Where did you ever get that from. Size means nothing.Tell Earl Campbell, or John Riggins someone’s tougher than they are
Earl was as strong as a bull. You don't see this kind of football these days: