Forget Dak, he's not the problem

visionary

Reaction score
So would that mean Rivers is pretty easy to forget? He hasn't won crap either and isn't too flashy. Rivers D helped keep him in many games.

Dak just gets the job done. We'll see if he does any better this year. Man, I hope so.

Don't feed the troll
He's a beagles fan

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Pick 6 vs GB, on the screen to Bease...was a scratch your head moment.

Thanks Couch, for naming an attribute Dak has (durability) besides "he's a winner" cause we know it's a team sport as you've stated.

Let's not forget Aikman was on fire in the '92 SB his accuracy n decision making was HOF ish. Give Troy more credit, Staubach too even tho he was before me...cause he won it all. In fairness, Dak hasn't made a conference championship game, even though he's played well in the playoffs.
The head scratcher was what gave the screen away for the DB to jump a quick screen.

visionary

Reaction score
OK, I was feeling left out and haven't had a Dak thread so this is my only one. But I thought I would combine a Ranching thread with this so what are you eating while reading and responding?

Who lost that Green Bay playoff game and the one in LA? It is a trick question because it's like a Dr. Seuss book, it was a lot of who's, like an entire team of them.

Dak Prescott played well enough to win both of those games and brought them back in that Green Bay game very smartly for a rookie QB. The D in one gets 18 points down and in the other lets the opposing team run it up the gut and limit Dak's time with the ball and opportunities. Those were team losses.

Hey, I agree about the inconsistent accuracy being a challenge but I've also seen enough accuracy from him that I know he can play the position. And let's assume he and the coaching staff are aware of that issue as well and are working on that together.

What's the most important trait for a QB, any player? What do you think Eagles fans would say it is for a QB? Durability, doesn't matter how good a player is if he can't show up consistently and we've got a Tier 1 when it comes to that and he plays a little contact as well. Of all the teams, we can be the least concerned about the backup QB. And the Eagles?

It isn't about Prescott like it wasn't about Romo, it was about the teams they led and how their perceived their part in that. Romo was more risk because he felt he had to do something on every possession because he didn't have that first best friend, a D, but he proved how good he could be with that second best friend, a RB. Prescott has both best friends and they're better than Romo ever had.

And let's forget this "carrying the team" nonsense about these other QB's like Brady, Brees and Rodgers, do they really carry their teams or do they get the ball in the hands of the playmakers just like Aikman and Montana used to do? They do not carry the team, they execute the plays and it is the team that carries the team.

For whatever reason, fans take a liking to a player or not and the QB seems to catch most of that. No matter what the QB does, if someone doesn't like him, it's never going to be good enough and the weight of the load goes on his back.

This team will go as far as the team can take itself, not as far as the QB can take it. It's funny how Brady gets the GOAT tag, and he's pretty damned good, but ever notice every year he wins it, his run game and D are in the top 10, that's every year he's won it. Maybe Brees and Rodgers would have won more than that if their teams had done that and maybe Rivers could get to one.

I agree with you on a lot of this however, here is my problem with this outlook. IMO you can get deep in the playoffs and possibly win one with an average QB once in a long while but to be consistently realistically competitive for a SB year in and year out (not just an 'also ran') you have to have a great/elite QB

When a fan says 'it's not about the QB it's about the team' they are in reality saying they dint have a great/elite QB

So, might we POSSIBLY win one with Dak? Yes, It's possible

Are we LIKELY to be really competitive for a SB year in and year out and likely to win a SB (or more) with him? I don't think so

That's my problem

nobody

Reaction score
Dak was a little part of the problem in the playoffs....but it was a team loss (and a coaching loss).

His atrocious inaccuracy in the first half helped lead to the deficit that they had to try to come back from.

That being said, he played great in the second half. Now that he has a different QB coach and OC, I expect him to do better. I assume he's working on his weaknesses in the off-season and well see an improved Dak come regular season time. I'm just against paying him until next season because I would want to be SURE. I think he'll be good, but I'd want to be sure about any player I was about to drop 30 million on.

If they signed Dak for 25 million this season, I'd be all for it. But if they told him 25 now or wait until next year and if we see that you kicked tail, we'll offer you 28-30, I'd be okay with that. I just think that the current QB market is ridiculous given how much cap it takes up. Teams that overpay their QB generally don't go anywhere.

Romo was overpaid and it hurt the team. Rogers was overpaid and it hurt the Packers... etc etc.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
You can project the next 9-10 years? Are Brees, Rodgers and Rivers championship kinds of players? They've got 2 between them. How about E. Manning and Flacco, championship kinds of players? 4 between them.

You could be right but I don't know how anyone can project 9-10 years out, I am struggling with just 1.

I was right about Romo. I bashed him from the beginning.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with you on a lot of this however, here is my problem with this outlook. IMO you can get deep in the playoffs and possibly win one with an average QB once in a long while but to be consistently realistically competitive for a SB year in and year out (not just an 'also ran') you have to have a great/elite QB

When a fan says 'it's not about the QB it's about the team' they are in reality saying they dint have a great/elite QB

So, might we POSSIBLY win one with Dak? Yes, It's possible

Are we LIKELY to be really competitive for a SB year in and year out and likely to win a SB (or more) with him? I don't think so

That's my problem
How have Brees and Rodgers done in that area? How many times are the elite QB's not in the playoffs?

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
How have Brees and Rodgers done in that area? How many times are the elite QB's not in the playoffs?

Breesy's teams went 7-9 three years a row before they put some talent around him. As fans of a different team, the Cowboys, we'd cut him a ton of slack for that. Not so with our own QB's. Why is the grass always greener on the other side? Probably because someone spread a lot of BS on it

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I'd like to forget Dak because he is a problem.

Dak is not a championship kind of player.

He is a keep the game interesting kind of player and after another 9-10 years of zero SB's we start back over again.

Sorta like Romo.

Yeah but you're the soupcan we all know and love lol

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak was a little part of the problem in the playoffs....but it was a team loss (and a coaching loss).

His atrocious inaccuracy in the first half helped lead to the deficit that they had to try to come back from.

That being said, he played great in the second half. Now that he has a different QB coach and OC, I expect him to do better. I assume he's working on his weaknesses in the off-season and well see an improved Dak come regular season time. I'm just against paying him until next season because I would want to be SURE. I think he'll be good, but I'd want to be sure about any player I was about to drop 30 million on.

If they signed Dak for 25 million this season, I'd be all for it. But if they told him 25 now or wait until next year and if we see that you kicked tail, we'll offer you 28-30, I'd be okay with that. I just think that the current QB market is ridiculous given how much cap it takes up. Teams that overpay their QB generally don't go anywhere.

Romo was overpaid and it hurt the team. Rogers was overpaid and it hurt the Packers... etc etc.
It's a trend and is going to continue with Mahomes and Mayfield as well.

The fuse was lit when the Skins started tagging Cousins. That became the expected number for QB's and the agents had him as a benchmark. The QB salary made a huge jump after that, we were complaining about Romo's 19M and that will now jump by 50% and more with Wilson's deal. It's a runaway situation and none of these owners know how to stop it.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
If you wanna talk “easy to forget”, look no further than Carson Wentz.

Whenever it gets down to serious business for Philthy, poor little Carson has a boo-boo and goes on IR, lol!

Irony, considering you brought him up unannounced. Doesn’t sound like you can get him off your mind.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
So would that mean Rivers is pretty easy to forget? He hasn't won crap either and isn't too flashy. Rivers D helped keep him in many games.

Dak just gets the job done. We'll see if he does any better this year. Man, I hope so.

I like Rivers, but I do remember watching a Chargers game several years ago...... Chargers are down, less than a minute in the game no timeouts, Chargers are driving and inside the opponents 30 yard line, Rivers completes a pass on 3rd down, but not enough for a 1st down and Rivers spikes the ball to stop the clock on the next play. Wait, what..... why did he spike the ball on 4th down? I was confused, the announcers were confused, the players were confused and obviously Rivers was confused. As good as Rivers can be, he's also cost his team games many, many times.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Concentrate on your own overrated brittle part-time QB.

You guys really are sensitive about this, why?

He’s the guy whether he’s got what it takes or not. Stop worrying about it, he’s getting the money. The decision is made.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
You guys really are sensitive about this, why?

He’s the guy whether he’s got what it takes or not. Stop worrying about it, he’s getting the money. The decision is made.
When trolling a rival team message board make sure your own player is better than the one you're bashing........at this point he's considerably behind Dak

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score

Rodgers missed the last two playoffs but before that the Packers won 8 straight division titles. In 2017 he was injured for much of the year (played 6 games) so he’s really only missed the playoffs once on a team he was leading.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
I'd like to forget Dak because he is a problem.

Dak is not a championship kind of player.

He is a keep the game interesting kind of player and after another 9-10 years of zero SB's we start back over again.

Sorta like Romo.

LLLOOOLLL, Soup I hope your insurance is paid up. LLLOOOLLL