Forget Dak, he's not the problem

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
If you only follow the ball he might not appear to be the problem . But when you consider the Rams defense was able to shut Elliott down in part because they could crowd the LOS without as much concern with Dak going over the top.

And take into consideration how we weren’t able to convert 3rd downs going 1 for 10 which stalled drive after drive early on leaving our defense out there to be shredded and falling behind so far we were forced out of our strength.

There’s always more to it than what the eye sees.
Apparently you didn't see our defense give up almost 300yds rushing.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He may not be the problem, but he sure as heck isn't the solution to our super bowl drought.
We’re going to need to assemble the best supporting cast in Cowboys history which will be very difficult in Cap era.

Imagine instead if we had a QB as talented as our RB and WR. Similar to what we had in 70’s and 90’s. Then we might have something with a top 10 defense.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Apparently you didn't see our defense give up almost 300yds rushing.
Yes but there were contributing factors. Again you’re just following the ball.

The fact we didn’t control TOP converting 3rd downs led to leaving our defense more vulnerable.

And not putting up more points. Did anyone really believe 22 points would be enough going in?

HungryLion

Reaction score
To be fair, Dak is pretty easy to forget.

Also Aero. Let’s be real. Dak was rookie of the year a few seasons ago, has made the pro bowl 2 out of the last 3 seasons. (Yes it’s a popularity contest, but that shows he has name recognition) and he is frequently discussed on national sports shows like first take, sports center, GMFB, etc.

He also is second in the entire NFL in jersey sales since entering the league.

So it’s fair to debate just how good of a player Dak is. But easy to forget? Not at all.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Yes but there were contributing factors. Again you’re just following the ball.

The fact we didn’t control TOP converting 3rd downs led to leaving our defense more vulnerable.

And not putting up more points. Did anyone really believe 22 points would be enough going in?

The Rams scored on their first 5 of 6 possessions, the only reason it wasn't 6 of 6 is because they missed a FG and on 6 of 8 possessions. The defense, which was supposed to be a strength of this team failed miserably.
The Rams only scored 3 and the GOAT Brady only scored 13 in the Super Bowl, so yeah 22 could have been enough to win if the defense hadn't been totally inept.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Rams scored on their first 5 of 6 possessions, the only reason it wasn't 6 of 6 is because they missed a FG and on 6 of 8 possessions. The defense, which was supposed to be a strength of this team failed miserably.
The Rams only scored 3 and the GOAT Brady only scored 13 in the Super Bowl, so yeah 22 could have been enough to win if the defense hadn't been totally inept.
In 3 of those possessions the defense only gave up FG’s or the game would have been over by halftime. In the end our offensive isn’t prolific enough to stay up with these more explosive offenses in playoffs.

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'd like to forget Dak because he is a problem.

Dak is not a championship kind of player.

He is a keep the game interesting kind of player and after another 9-10 years of zero SB's we start back over again.

Sorta like Romo.
You’ve described 80% of the QB landscape. It’s a fan-driven “prove it” for those QBs that haven’t already hoisted the Lombardi. The young, hot prospects that have gone in the 1st Round are given ohhh so much more leash. It’s the reason why Ryan, Stafford and Cam have been still hovering around as “near Elite QB” talents..

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Also Aero. Let’s be real. Dak was rookie of the year a few seasons ago, has made the pro bowl 2 out of the last 3 seasons. (Yes it’s a popularity contest, but that shows he has name recognition) and he is frequently discussed on national sports shows like first take, sports center, GMFB, etc.

So it’s fair to debate just how good of a player Dak is. But easy to forget? Not at all.
He was only a replacement in last years Pro Bowl after several others opted out. Lol

TwentyOne

Reaction score
OK, I was feeling left out and haven't had a Dak thread so this is my only one. But I thought I would combine a Ranching thread with this so what are you eating while reading and responding?

Who lost that Green Bay playoff game and the one in LA? It is a trick question because it's like a Dr. Seuss book, it was a lot of who's, like an entire team of them.

Dak Prescott played well enough to win both of those games and brought them back in that Green Bay game very smartly for a rookie QB. The D in one gets 18 points down and in the other lets the opposing team run it up the gut and limit Dak's time with the ball and opportunities. Those were team losses.

Hey, I agree about the inconsistent accuracy being a challenge but I've also seen enough accuracy from him that I know he can play the position. And let's assume he and the coaching staff are aware of that issue as well and are working on that together.

What's the most important trait for a QB, any player? What do you think Eagles fans would say it is for a QB? Durability, doesn't matter how good a player is if he can't show up consistently and we've got a Tier 1 when it comes to that and he plays a little contact as well. Of all the teams, we can be the least concerned about the backup QB. And the Eagles?

It isn't about Prescott like it wasn't about Romo, it was about the teams they led and how their perceived their part in that. Romo was more risk because he felt he had to do something on every possession because he didn't have that first best friend, a D, but he proved how good he could be with that second best friend, a RB. Prescott has both best friends and they're better than Romo ever had.

And let's forget this "carrying the team" nonsense about these other QB's like Brady, Brees and Rodgers, do they really carry their teams or do they get the ball in the hands of the playmakers just like Aikman and Montana used to do? They do not carry the team, they execute the plays and it is the team that carries the team.

For whatever reason, fans take a liking to a player or not and the QB seems to catch most of that. No matter what the QB does, if someone doesn't like him, it's never going to be good enough and the weight of the load goes on his back.

This team will go as far as the team can take itself, not as far as the QB can take it. It's funny how Brady gets the GOAT tag, and he's pretty damned good, but ever notice every year he wins it, his run game and D are in the top 10, that's every year he's won it. Maybe Brees and Rodgers would have won more than that if their teams had done that and maybe Rivers could get to one.

I already forgot about him. Because he is the main problem of this team and wont get any better.

HungryLion

Reaction score
He was only a replacement in last years Pro Bowl after several others opted out. Lol

Thanks for making it clear that the point of my post went completely over your head.

I mean seriously I even openly say the pro bowl is a popularity contest in the post, yet you still couldn’t get it.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
In 3 of those possessions the defense only gave up FG’s or the game would have been over by halftime. In the end our offensive isn’t prolific enough to stay up with these more explosive offenses in playoffs.
Talk about losing sight of the ball, the defense still gave up points on all those drives...the defense set team records for ineptness. The game wasn't lost because of QB play, it was lost in the trenches. Our DL couldn't stop or slow down their run game and Donald wrecked our OL. Our LBs were getting yanked out to get yelled at by the coaches. We let a street FA with no burst or wiggle rush for 123 yds alone, against one of the supposed best run defenses. You love using the word "prolific", but a team with championship aspirations do not give up 300yds rushing, period.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Talk about losing sight of the ball, the defense still gave up points on all those drives...the defense set team records for ineptness. The game wasn't lost because of QB play, it was lost in the trenches. Our DL couldn't stop or slow down their run game and Donald wrecked our OL. Our LBs were getting yanked out to get yelled at by the coaches. We let a street FA with no burst or wiggle rush for 123 yds alone, against one of the supposed best run defenses. You love using the word "prolific", but a team with championship aspirations do not give up 300yds rushing, period.
I’m not blaming the QB play. I’m simply stating it’s a contributing factor.

Our run defense was over hyped. Most games we dominated TOP, had lead and teams abandoned run game. I’m not discounting the impact giving up 275 yards rushing but it’s not the entire story.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Thanks for making it clear that the point of my post went completely over your head.

I mean seriously I even openly say the pro bowl is a popularity contest in the post, yet you still couldn’t get it.
It didn’t come off that way . You appeared to be glorifying his popularity in some way to justify being named a replacement?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You’ve described 80% of the QB landscape. It’s a fan-driven “prove it” for those QBs that haven’t already hoisted the Lombardi. The young, hot prospects that have gone in the 1st Round are given ohhh so much more leash. It’s the reason why Ryan, Stafford and Cam have been still hovering around as “near Elite QB” talents..
And those QB should be given more leash. Because we knew coming in they had the talent level. They just needed the right situation in most cases.

So many of the top drafted QB’s go to lower tier teams which lessens their chances for success , at least early on. Look at Troy. A disaster . But when surrounded he takes it to the next level.

And that’s how these talents separate themselves by what they do with it when they have it.

This might be the greatest talent we’re able to surround Dak in his career after some of the Rookie contracts are over. If he can’t get it done now, why do we think he will later?

This is the difference in having these more Elite QB’s. They don’t need as much help. And they reach higher levels when they do have more support.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score

No QB of the Dallas Cowboys is easy to forget. lol

HungryLion

Reaction score
It didn’t come off that way . You appeared to be glorifying his popularity in some way to justify being named a replacement?

I wasn’t doing that at all. I was responding to Aero’s comment about Dak being forgettable.

Being a highly popular player is proof that isn’t true

But I wasn’t glorifying anything. Which is also made clear by my last sentence where I clearly state that it’s fair to debate his overall level of play. But He isn’t easily forgettable.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I wasn’t doing that at all. I was responding to Aero’s comment about Dak being forgettable.

Being a highly popular player is proof that isn’t true

But I wasn’t glorifying anything. Which is also made clear by my last sentence where I clearly state that it’s fair to debate his overall level of play. But He isn’t easily forgettable.
Oh ok. That seems like a silly argument. Sorry

Not interested in whether he’s forgettable. Lol

HungryLion

Reaction score
Oh ok. That seems like a silly argument. Sorry

Not interested in whether he’s forgettable. Lol

If you’re not interested, Then don’t respond to the posts with your nonsense and lack of understanding of simple concepts.

It also wasn’t an argument. It was one a one post response.

Flamma

Reaction score
We’re going to need to assemble the best supporting cast in Cowboys history which will be very difficult in Cap era.

Imagine instead if we had a QB as talented as our RB and WR. Similar to what we had in 70’s and 90’s. Then we might have something with a top 10 defense.

Dak should have plenty of supporting cast. We had an amazing supporting cast all around in the 70s and 90s. I blame Dak for a lot, but I'm not blaming him for our last two playoff losses. The Cowboys went 13-3 and we still had that same crap D. Similar to what Romo had in '14 with that same crap D. Relatively speaking Dak has the best supporting cast a Cowboys QB has had in a very long time going into this season. Because all teams are subject to the same cap restraints.

I don't think Dak is as good as our past HOF QBs. I don't even think he's as good as Romo. But he has some qualities that surpass Romo. I'm saying he's still a good QB. If QB Jeff Hostetler can win a super bowl with an inferior team, Dak can win one with this team.