CFZ Forget expecting “style point” wins in this league

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have to wonder the age group of the fans who are negative about games like today. It only takes going back and watching games in the 70's to see that Doomsday did not hold other teams to no points. The Jimmy era was a bend don't break defense. There were days they beat the snot out of the other team. But like today, they usually did so when the half time adjustments were implemented.

That last TD for the Giants didn't matter, and the defense knew it. Did they let down? Perhaps a bit. But I can list you games in this franchise history where the Dallas team who went on to win it all had atrocious losses to teams they never should have had trouble with.

Watch this short video on the Cowboys at Washington 1992. The games where the team loses and leaves you in a funk for a few days, this one had me seeing red for the entire week.

Be thankful for the W.

In that dominant 1992 season, the Cowboys beat an eventual 6-10 rams team 27-23. Not a dominant win, lol. I think some fans gripe about games we didn’t win convincingly enough is really just about their anxiety. They want a blowout so they can not have to worry at all ever.

EDIT: The great 92 Cowboys team actually lost 27-23 to that 6-10 rams team. My mistake.

Last edited:

TwoDeep3

Reaction score

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
winning is winning but you really don’t want to see your team struggling with an extremely undermanned, overmatched team. we already lost to the packers in that shape so it’s concerning even if dramatic seeing it again
Backup players aren’t all “bad” players. Thinking because backups are playing we should “dominate” isn’t understanding the talent level of players in this league. Many of the backups in the NFL are developing players who just need experience. This isn’t high school.

lukemartin79

Reaction score
100%

Same fans expect Dak to be perfect every week, defense to be elite every week etc…

Winning in the NFL is tough. We sucked in the first half, and came out in the second half and kicked A. Great team win.
True, but in the playoffs and in big games against better opponents sucking for one half can lose you the game- ask Dan Quinn about that. This team needs to play with some consistency and get some discipline - these stupid stupid penalties that have happened for years kill you in the playoffs and big games too.

TheHerd

Reaction score
Overcoming 11 penalties and a -2 turnover differential is a pretty strong character game. Great win.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True, but in the playoffs and in big games against better opponents sucking for one half can lose you the game- ask Dan Quinn about that. This team needs to play with some consistency and get some discipline - these stupid stupid penalties that have happened for years kill you in the playoffs and big games too.
I agree this team needs to play better, get rid of the stupid penalties, reduce turnovers, etc.

Proof

Reaction score
Backup players aren’t all “bad” players. Thinking because backups are playing we should “dominate” isn’t understanding the talent level of players in this league. Many of the backups in the NFL are developing players who just need experience. This isn’t high school.

are you replying to another post? if not you put quite a few words into my mouth.

Hagman

Put Niland and Green in the ROH
Reaction score
Roger Staubach was marvelous at bringing the team from behind to win in the last four minutes more times than I can count

Which of course means that in all of those games the Dallas Cowboys had been outplayed and fallen behind.

Style points didn’t count, the final score did

817Gill

Reaction score
So many fans somehow seem to expect a “style points” win every week where the Cowboys win in a dominant blowout….otherwise we suck. Truth is, style point wins in the NFL- like the one we had last week against the Vikings are very rare in the NFL.

If you watch our Game Day thread, some of our fans think we’re terrible if we have one 3 and out. If the defense gives up a big play, “We suck”. If it wasn’t so humorous it would be annoying.

Some fans demand a 17-0 season, we should score on every possession, the defense shuts out every opponent, absolutely no mistakes, or something is “wrong” with this team and all of its players. All penalties are only called against us, and that means there is a vast league conspiracy against us. By the same league who can’t even define what a catch looks like.

The truth is, the NFL is an incredibly competitive league with very little separation between any team. Every single game we play we are capable of winning of losing. And sometimes it may not be because the OC or quarterback sucks. It may be those other guys are sometimes good too. Their coaches and players get paid too.

Beating the giants 28-20 is a great win. Period.
Thank you! Gameday threads can be miserable when something that’s not domination happens. Freaking out in the first Q is never the move lol.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
The fans who were freaking out thought every game was going to be like the Vikings game. That was a fluke where the whole team did their job like they are supposed to. The over-exuberant fans are funny.

foofighters

Reaction score
So many fans somehow seem to expect a “style points” win every week where the Cowboys win in a dominant blowout….otherwise we suck. Truth is, style point wins in the NFL- like the one we had last week against the Vikings are very rare in the NFL.

If you watch our Game Day thread, some of our fans think we’re terrible if we have one 3 and out. If the defense gives up a big play, “We suck”. If it wasn’t so humorous it would be annoying.

Some fans demand a 17-0 season, we should score on every possession, the defense shuts out every opponent, absolutely no mistakes, or something is “wrong” with this team and all of its players. All penalties are only called against us, and that means there is a vast league conspiracy against us. By the same league who can’t even define what a catch looks like.

The truth is, the NFL is an incredibly competitive league with very little separation between any team. Every single game we play we are capable of winning of losing. And sometimes it may not be because the OC or quarterback sucks. It may be those other guys are sometimes good too. Their coaches and players get paid too.

Beating the giants 28-20 is a great win. Period.
I agree my only real concern is Moore. I feel like our offense just needs to line up and play football. Moore likes to get cute on first down. I don’t have actual breakdowns but it feels like we are pretty much unstoppable if we get 3 plus yards on first down. Our offense is dangerous. These gadget plays are annoying and we just need to play football.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
The stuff I saw all week was this was going to be a blowout win. Blowouts are extremely rare in the NFL.

I understand why it was said that this should have been a blowout win. The Giants started backups on 3 of the 5 front defensive linemen because of injuries. If we were to follow the so called Cooper Rush theory (backups suck compared to number 1's), we should have blown them out.

Me? I'm taking the win regardless...

kskboys

Reaction score
Second half was a blowout. First half was pretty even we just made more mistakes. Second half we made mistakes but thoroughly outplayed them. It got to the point to where we’re up 15 and there’s 5-6 minutes left. Sure, let them run just don’t give up a 20 yard run. It worked well enough in that when they did score there was 8 seconds left. They ran out of time. We knew as long as we didn’t make a stupid mistake we just needed to play the clock game at that point even if it meant giving up a TD.
We thoroughly outplayed them in the 1st half also.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
100%

Same fans expect Dak to be perfect every week, defense to be elite every week etc…

Winning in the NFL is tough. We sucked in the first half, and came out in the second half and kicked A. Great team win.

going into the game a fear was Barkley . We did a good job controlling him
And nice to see Vanderesch rounding back into form and Clark getting some playing time

mahoneybill

Reaction score

forgotten in this is traveling back from Mn , short week , and facing a rival that knows your play style

also giants / boys game are rarely blowouts

lukin2006

Reaction score
A win is a win. That 1st half was ugly by the offence. We will not get away with that nonsense come playoff time. That’s my biggest concern. Otherwise it’s a divisional game against a well coached Giants team…and we still dominated. Just not on the scoreboard…