CFZ Forget expecting “style point” wins in this league

cnuball21

Reaction score
True, but in the playoffs and in big games against better opponents sucking for one half can lose you the game- ask Dan Quinn about that. This team needs to play with some consistency and get some discipline - these stupid stupid penalties that have happened for years kill you in the playoffs and big games too.

Gotta be able to win dirty even in the playoffs.

Agree we have to get over the penalties though.

kskboys

Reaction score
.bullet, that's why I avoid the game threads.

..such non-sense.

Reason goes out the window.
I can't stand the game threads. I wish we could have more threads to discuss stuff during the game. The game threads are absolutely inane.

Gaede

Reaction score
This is why I try to avoid the forum during the games.

Every single play is under a microscope as if the season depends on it. The overreactions are awful, and negatively impact my enjoyment of the whole game.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
If Maher hits that field goal, it’s probably a pretty comfortable 31-13 win as the Giants wouldn’t have had time to score that last touchdown starting at the 25 yard line.

Flamma

Reaction score
So many fans somehow seem to expect a “style points” win every week where the Cowboys win in a dominant blowout….otherwise we suck. Truth is, style point wins in the NFL- like the one we had last week against the Vikings are very rare in the NFL.

If you watch our Game Day thread, some of our fans think we’re terrible if we have one 3 and out. If the defense gives up a big play, “We suck”. If it wasn’t so humorous it would be annoying.

Some fans demand a 17-0 season, we should score on every possession, the defense shuts out every opponent, absolutely no mistakes, or something is “wrong” with this team and all of its players. All penalties are only called against us, and that means there is a vast league conspiracy against us. By the same league who can’t even define what a catch looks like.

The truth is, the NFL is an incredibly competitive league with very little separation between any team. Every single game we play we are capable of winning of losing. And sometimes it may not be because the OC or quarterback sucks. It may be those other guys are sometimes good too. Their coaches and players get paid too.

Beating the giants 28-20 is a great win. Period.

Absolutely right it was a great win. I don't have a single complaint of the players since they played well enough to win. But.......

IMO the Cowboys had to battle back from a momentum shift given to them by our coaching staff. You don't go for it on our first possession on 4th and 2 from our own 40 with the score 0-0. Don't give the Giants momentum. Punt it. Make them go the distance like they couldn't do before. A lot of game left.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We were fortunate that the Giants had some missing Oline starters. They were taking it to us, but the team bounced back. Some of the past year's three game-ten day torture tests have not turned out so well. I tip my cap to the coaches for making halftime adjustments and to the players for making tough plays. Hard fought game. Good sign going forward. Just cut down on some of the penalties.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Absolutely right it was a great win. I don't have a single complaint of the players since they played well enough to win. But.......

IMO the Cowboys had to battle back from a momentum shift given to them by our coaching staff. You don't go for it on our first possession on 4th and 2 from our own 40 with the score 0-0. Don't give the Giants momentum. Punt it. Make them go the distance like they couldn't do before. A lot of game left.
Yeah, that's more of a desperation, end of the game type situation.

cnuball21

Reaction score

Every single play is under a microscope as if the season depends on it. The overreactions are awful, and negatively impact my enjoyment of the whole game.

It’s absurd. After the games might be worse.

Every individual game apparently defines a players season / career. It’s wild.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yeah, that's more of a desperation, end of the game type situation.

Maybe he's under estimating the Giants. But they did that last year early in the 1st against Denver, twice I believe. Giving them the momentum and some points, we couldn't do anything after that.

Go back to 1993 in a playoff game against the Packers. Dallas couldn't do anything in the first. Jimmy had the Cowboys go for it from their own 26 yard line on 4th and 6. I could be a few yards off, but not much more. The first thing that came to mind, Jimmy has zero respect for the Packers. That gave the Packers a 3-0 lead.

I'm thinking BigMac was trying to get a rhythm going. But these aren't the '93 Cowboys.

Praxit

Reaction score
We were fortunate that the Giants had some missing Oline starters. They were taking it to us, but the team bounced back. Some of the past year's three game-ten day torture tests have not turned out so well. I tip my cap to the coaches for making halftime adjustments and to the players for making tough plays. Hard fought game. Good sign going forward. Just cut down on some of the penalties.
..NYG has good run-D. Pollard was getting licked right at LOS, same with Zeke. I felt someone else had to step up. In our case the TE's began their splash.

Creeper

Reaction score
I don't disagree but have we not dinged the Eagles for a few close wins against bad teams?

Verdict

Reaction score
So many fans somehow seem to expect a “style points” win every week where the Cowboys win in a dominant blowout….otherwise we suck. Truth is, style point wins in the NFL- like the one we had last week against the Vikings are very rare in the NFL.

If you watch our Game Day thread, some of our fans think we’re terrible if we have one 3 and out. If the defense gives up a big play, “We suck”. If it wasn’t so humorous it would be annoying.

Some fans demand a 17-0 season, we should score on every possession, the defense shuts out every opponent, absolutely no mistakes, or something is “wrong” with this team and all of its players. All penalties are only called against us, and that means there is a vast league conspiracy against us. By the same league who can’t even define what a catch looks like.

The truth is, the NFL is an incredibly competitive league with very little separation between any team. Every single game we play we are capable of winning of losing. And sometimes it may not be because the OC or quarterback sucks. It may be those other guys are sometimes good too. Their coaches and players get paid too.

“Style points” are irrelevant, so long as we win the game. On the other hand good play and bad play are not style points.

We did not play well in the first half. Dak played horribly. The play calling wasn’t very good. We really struggled to put points on the board against a very decimated secondary. Again, that’s not style points. That is just poor play.

The second half we played a bit better, but the receivers also bailed Dak out on some really tall throws in the second half. It’s great that we have a good enough defense to keep us in the game when the offense is struggling.

We have a good enough team to win the SB if we play well. We do not have a good enough team for Dak to play as poorly as he did in the first half yesterday (Giants) and expect to win multiple playoff games and a SB.

This game was another game where Dak got off to his usual notoriously slow starts. It seems to happen against the better teams. If a team is over .500 there’s a really good chance that Dak is going to 3 and out you to death in the first half.

If we are going to win a SB with Dak at the helm, he’s going to have to find a way to eliminate the slow starts. Otherwise we are going to be disappointed in the playoffs again this season.

Verdict

Reaction score
I don't disagree but have we not dinged the Eagles for a few close wins against bad teams?

There is a really good chance that the Eagles will not make it to the NFCCG because they have to beat two solid teams to get there. The odds of the Eagles getting to the NFCCG is not as good as some think because of their slim margin for error.

blueblood70

Reaction score

Amen!

8-3, thats all that matters to me..

blueblood70

Reaction score

:hammer:

Manster68

Reaction score
I have to wonder the age group of the fans who are negative about games like today. It only takes going back and watching games in the 70's to see that Doomsday did not hold other teams to no points. The Jimmy era was a bend don't break defense. There were days they beat the snot out of the other team. But like today, they usually did so when the half time adjustments were implemented.

That last TD for the Giants didn't matter, and the defense knew it. Did they let down? Perhaps a bit. But I can list you games in this franchise history where the Dallas team who went on to win it all had atrocious losses to teams they never should have had trouble with.

Watch this short video on the Cowboys at Washington 1992. The games where the team loses and leaves you in a funk for a few days, this one had me seeing red for the entire week.

Be thankful for the W.

Let me double down on this.
1992 - Dallas' Super Bowl XXVII Season - both games versus the Cardinals gave Cowboys fans a shaky feeling. There was much to clean up on those two games.
Week 2 - In the Meadowlands, Dallas goes up 34-0 on the Ray Handley Giants. CBS cuts the game off like the Minnesota game last Sunday. The Giants come back to make it 34-28. If it weren't for an Aikman slant to Irvin on 3rd and 9, the Giants would have had a chance to make history with the largest comeback.
Thanksgiving 1992 (30 years ago tomorrow), Dallas sleepwalks to a 9-3 halftime lead before blasting the Giants 21-0 in the 2nd half (kinda similar to yesterday).
Week 14 - in Denver - Without John Elway, the Broncos had a lead in the 4th quarter. It took a rare Aikman comeback to seal the win.
Week 17 - regular season finale versus Chicago - Dallas only had a 3-0 lead at halftime, then exploded for 24 points in the 3rd quarter. Then the Bears scored two touchdowns courtesy of two Curvin Richards fumbles. Richards would be cut outright the next day as Jimmy Johnson was sending a message to the team.

The morale of the story?
Every single championship season Dallas had there were a number of games where things were just as rocky, or more rocky, than what the Cowboys are going through today.

starfan1

Reaction score

Nope Dak can’t beat wining teams and it’s only a big game if we lose it

exciter

Reaction score

Halftime adjustments… they actually made halftime adjustments… when was the last time a Cowboys team made significant, game altering, halftime adjustments lol!

tyke1doe

Reaction score

As I always say, "The other team has good players too who make good plays also." Shrug.