Forget the cap for a second

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I don't think so. The QB prospects are not standout grade.

Well not going at 25. Then again it's invariably the Offense into which the draftee plays that will determine success. Who would have predicted Mack Jones being the highest rated QB of that class? Then again he started for a decent team

Acceptablename

Reaction score
So we trade Dak for a one. We start over at QB position which takes time to develope.We then waste Martin,DLaw,I guess TSmith,Cooper,Randy career. We’re adding 3 more years to 26 year drought. That doesn’t seem like good GM-ing to me.
Cut your nose off to spite your QB

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
So we trade Dak for a one. We start over at QB position which takes time to develope.We then waste Martin,DLaw,I guess TSmith,Cooper,Randy career. We’re adding 3 more years to 26 year drought. That doesn’t seem like good GM-ing to me.
What makes you think that keeping Dak wouldn’t waste those 3 years? What exactly has Dak shown to make you think that we are suddenly going to become this amazing team?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

This kicking the can by constantly restructuring and giving contracts to players that under perform is one of the main reasons for the drought.

The team is theoretically in "Jerry, win-now" mode, however, the O-Line is starting to lose it's once reputation and therefore it potentially wont matter who's at QB. Dak is good enough, however, he's rarely going to win a game on his own and needs top talent around him.

We made the choice of Dak over spreading the resources, which is fine.....however the reality of the CAP situation is that we can't afford to extend those contracts that are already looking to kill us......(DLaw, Coops and Zeke('23). We need to pray for another draft that produces talent immediately.....otherwise the drought is going to be extended way past 26 years.

Clarke82

Reaction score
Forget the cap implications for this hypothetical—would you trade Dak for a first round pick this year if the cap didn’t prohibit it?

No. There is no suitable replacement available.

Even if we could get the top QB in this class he wouldn't be an upgrade for several years if it all.

Secondly, Arron Rodgers, Russell Wilson even Derek Carr would require resources that we can't afford and stay competitive.

Our best bet is to restructure Dak (which is less painful than the normal contract due to the voidable years and the final year having no money attached to it right now) and surround him with the best roster possible.

We don't have the resources in Draft picks nor Cap space to be in a strong position but, Dak is a top 10 - 12 QB and quality replacements don't grow on trees much less an upgrade.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Wasting Randy Gregory's career. Now that is rich.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL

Oh, no. A first round pick for Prescott? I'd need more than that.

I'd shove him into a box, double seal it and run down to the post office.

RS12

Reaction score
This front office, head coach, and QB are never going to get this team any further than they did this year. We have seen the peak. Double digit wins in a JV división and a possible wild card win. If that floats your then this QB is for you.

CashMan

Reaction score
Forget the cap implications for this hypothetical—would you trade Dak for a first round pick this year if the cap didn’t prohibit it?
All of you are forgetting the QB merry-go-round after we lost Aikman. The Clint Stoerners and Anthony Wrights of the world. Dak might not be elite, but he is better than anything else they would be able to acquire next season. Until they draft a QB, I wouldn't be talking about moving on from him.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Are you kidding, I'd take a 4th and be thrilled.
If you offered Dak for trade what's the most you could expect?

You would get at least 2 1’s and a quality player. Not sure about 3 1’s, but if there’s a bidding war

Bigdog

Reaction score
If a team would do it I still would not do it if we had to pick a qb in this class. This class of qbs are not that good or better than Prescott IMO.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

If SF can get to the SB with Jimmy G at QB. And are now back in the NFCCG with him at QB.
Dallas can certainly get there with Dak. Need to build that team around him. We still need to address the defense, as well the OL.

Team needs discipline as well, and that is on the coaches to get the players to that point.
We all need that Samuals / Hill type player on offense.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Personally, I think due to age and contracts, Dallas is in for a rough few years. The only thing that can save them is near miracle level drafting.

I would just try to get it over with quick and try to trade or cut all of the highly paid older guys to get as much draft compensation as you can get and try to emerge out of it in 2 years. And yes, that would include trading Dak if possible.

What I see happening is Jerry desperately trying to retain relevance and renegotiating deals just to keep enough talent around for 9-8 seasons.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If a team would do it I still would not do it if we had to pick a qb in this class. This class of qbs are not that good or better than Prescott IMO.
This year's QB class is GM Russian Roulette. Not a good time to need one.

The first question should always be is there anyone available better than what I've got? If so, what do I need to give up to get him?

Not going to find many bailouts that DET gave LAR but that was as much for Stafford as he'd been a damned good Lion.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Well not going at 25. Then again it's invariably the Offense into which the draftee plays that will determine success. Who would have predicted Mack Jones being the highest rated QB of that class? Then again he started for a decent team
many would most saw him as the most NFL ready albeit a pocket type qb and that why he slipped, and NE got lucky. Those taken ahead of Hims are projects that need time to adapt to the nfl whereas Mac was already running that style of offesne.

so yes he should have gone higher but these teams think they need super mobile Lamar type to win now and well im not sure that true but they feel they have higher ceilings where Mac is what he si right now,.

this draft doesn't have those types might be surprise or two but i see a bunch of drew lock types in this draft but Mac was not surprise..sorry but SF should have taken him maybe Chicago etc

blueblood70

Reaction score
first off those saying Dak cant get 1st arer wrong easy get 2 high draft picks for him but im not sure i make that trade not having a draft full of prospects or options in FA thats clearly better,.,

so haters and trolls go away. Yes any team would give a 1st minimum for Dak.

who are we getting in his place? who can come in and get us 12-5 record and 6-0 in the division?