Form fitting Gathers

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
The greatest TE on earth never to play a game for the Cowboys.

Numb skull is a tweeter who has proven many times that his ego outmatches his shoe size

We don't need players like that. We got rid of the last one, Mr Nameless

bye bye Rico. All the best Suave!

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Rico keeps improving every year. No need to get rid of him just now. He's a 6'6", 280 pound and athletical TE who is improving with his blocking, route running and pass catching and is still under contract this year very cheap. Might as well see if he keeps improving in training camp and preseason. If he shows progress, might as well keep him on the roster and use him. If he doesn't improve, cut him.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Rico keeps improving every year. No need to get rid of him just now. He's a 6'6", 280 pound and athletical TE who is improving with his blocking, route running and pass catching and is still under contract this year very cheap. Might as well see if he keeps improving in training camp and preseason. If he shows progress, might as well keep him on the roster and use him. If he doesn't improve, cut him.

Rico came in as a development project. We've only spent two years of rights on him so far. He has developed. Right now, Rico is probably our best blocking TE. Maybe our only real blocking TE. He is still a RFA next year.

He is a sixth round pick entering his third year on the roster. Normally, I'd say that If they're not willing to see what he has this year, they shouldn't have picked a project with no college football experience in the first place.

But Rico was hard hit by the retirement of Tony. Much like Dez, Rico's game is premised on a QB who can place the ball for him to go up and get it. Romo was that guy. Dak isn't.

The promise of Rico, whether real or illusory, simply won't be realized with Dak regardless. Like Dez, he's a poor fit for our offense now.

But he can be a blocking TE for us, and we need one. He should be able to be a useful dual blocking/receiving threat in short yardage.

But I wonder if we can't get more value by just teaching one of our olinemen to line up as a blocking TE and run a few basic short routes. I just don't believe that running a 3 yard route and catching the ball is that complicated. These guys are all athletes, and you're really just hoping for a blown coverage where that blocking TE gets lost in the wash.

Our problem this year, much like last year, is that we've got too many developmental projects at TE. Three guys who are border roster players. That's just too many spots devoted to developmental TE.

Last edited:

NotForLong

Reaction score
They don't ever use him during the season. The most he got was "run there, stop, and we'll throw you an uncatchable jump ball." Are you surprised he hasn't put up amazing numbers?
I still remember his rookie year when he was uncoverable . . . when Tony was dropping dimes to him . . . lol he owned Byron

Sigh . . . what could have been

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Never played a game for the Cowboys? Not that he had much of an impact, but he played in 15 games last year, plus both playoff games.

But only 14% of offensive snaps, and 2% special teams. They've got to get that snap count up to justify his presence on the team.

Looking at last year, we have 4 guys back who we used for less than 14% of offensive snaps. Olawale, Austin, Brown, Rico.

Olawale was at least a core special teamer. He should take all the Rod Smith snaps too. Given his guaranteed money, he isn't going anywhere.
Brown took about a third of ST snaps. I see him as entirely replaceable on offense. He's a great blocker *for a WR*, but he's not much of a WR. May as well play a TE in his place.
Austin was effective when playing, but Pollard and Cobb replace much of what he brings to the table. I like him, but barring injury, he's probably toast.

Rico has got to get that snap count up. Execute on the basic short yardage routes, and get in on the kick block squad.

I guess it's good that we've got more players I kind of like than can fit on the roster.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
his blocking is improved, but not that good. he is better, but given his size he is not a good blocker compared to some of the blocking TEs in the league. also his route running needs a lot of work. right now, he is slow in change of direction and getting separation and can run very limited routes, like straight up the seem and using his body to shield defenders away....it works well agisnt 4th, 5th, 6th stringers in pre-season, but playing against starting caliber LBs and Safties in the league he is not going to get away with that much.... Rico was an experiment, we thinking we just nabbed the next Gates...but he is no where close. time to move on...

visionary

Reaction score
The greatest TE on earth never to play a game for the Cowboys.

Numb skull is a tweeter who has proven many times that his ego outmatches his shoe size

We don't need players like that. We got rid of the last one, Mr Nameless

bye bye Rico. All the best Suave!

“We like our guys”

He’ll stay and waste a roster spot

Cowfan75

Reaction score
He's gonna tear it up in the fourth preseason game and some fans will declare he has arrived. We know the rest. Cut the failed experiment and move on, please.