Form fitting Gathers

ItzKelz

Reaction score
We give McClay far too much credit. It's the scouts that do the grunt work. They pass on to our director of college scouting, Lional Vital who organizes in a spread sheet and passes on to his boss McClay. Truly a team effort by the entire scouting staff and McClay is not a scout. He is a great evaluator of talent at the team and other teams level. Has made some great decisions on players to bring in as FA for depth and fresh legs keep practices fresh
I think Jerry is overpaying for McClay. He does nothing

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gathers being suspended the 1st game buys the team time no?

He will be on the suspended list for Week 1 and the team won't have to account for him on the 53 until Week 2, long after the mad dash of cut day transactions. If the Cowboys are content with the roster, specifically at the TE position, they can just move on. A 6th round pick who didn't make it to his 3rd year on his original team. Happens all the time.
Good point.

It definitely makes the cut to 53 easier when a player is suspended for game 1.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We give McClay far too much credit. It's the scouts that do the grunt work. They pass on to our director of college scouting, Lional Vital who organizes in a spread sheet and passes on to his boss McClay. Truly a team effort by the entire scouting staff and McClay is not a scout. He is a great evaluator of talent at the team and other teams level. Has made some great decisions on players to bring in as FA for depth and fresh legs keep practices fresh

I completely DISAGREE.

Tom Ciskowski was good at scouting.

Tom Ciscowski was horrible at McClay's current job.

Ciskowski was like a great tech guy that get promoted to manager.
The best tech people often make terrible managers.​

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
He's almost free and people are upset with him?

Makes no sense.

More likely than not to bust out the league but that's most udfa.

Just enjoy the ride.

Techsass

Reaction score
I have a single play flash thru my mind whenever we bring up Rico . My memory remembers it as a lot more spectacular than the vid, but it's still impressive. Maybe it was a different spectacular catch I'm thinking of.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
But only 14% of offensive snaps, and 2% special teams. They've got to get that snap count up to justify his presence on the team.

Looking at last year, we have 4 guys back who we used for less than 14% of offensive snaps. Olawale, Austin, Brown, Rico.

Olawale was at least a core special teamer. He should take all the Rod Smith snaps too. Given his guaranteed money, he isn't going anywhere.
Brown took about a third of ST snaps. I see him as entirely replaceable on offense. He's a great blocker *for a WR*, but he's not much of a WR. May as well play a TE in his place.
Austin was effective when playing, but Pollard and Cobb replace much of what he brings to the table. I like him, but barring injury, he's probably toast.

Rico has got to get that snap count up. Execute on the basic short yardage routes, and get in on the kick block squad.

I guess it's good that we've got more players I kind of like than can fit on the roster.
Agreed,
Olawale definitely leads that group, just based on the fact that I know what Olawale can do, I remember really liking the signing at the time, and optimistic with an improved offensive scheme, and probably the best FB we have had on this roster since the Moose, if you think about it.
Olawales problem has never been his talent level, Olawales problem has been due to the fact of being under utilized.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Agreed,
Olawale definitely leads that group, just based on the fact that I know what Olawale can do, I remember really liking the signing at the time, and optimistic with an improved offensive scheme, and probably the best FB we have had on this roster since the Moose, if you think about it.
Olawales problem has never been his talent level, Olawales problem has been due to the fact of being under utilized.

I was very disappointed about how Linehan didn't make use of Olawale - or Austin. Now they're here and he's not. I think it's clear that Linehan just didn't get with the program.