Twitter: Former Charger defensive line coach Giff Smith to interview with Cowboys today

quickccc

Reaction score
I haven't heard any latest update on this DL coach Giff Smith ,.. i would've thought one day interview to an assistant coach would be a done deal did negotiations break off ? :eek:

quickccc

Reaction score
Not sure. But being released from 6 different teams & being unemployed for 6 years should give us some kind of inclination about Smith.

Not necessarily it doesn't.
It's common for position coaches get ousted when their HC's get ousted, as most new incoming HCs want their more familiar connected position coaches who HCs feel
are more in tuned to their preferred schemes and philosophy.

i.e. Marc Columbo did a heckuva job with the OL here (2nd in NFL in sacks allowed- 5th in NFL in rushing) but yet he got ousted with an new incoming HC that strongly preferred his
own position coaches.

and let's face it, most of the NFL teams are gonna have revolving doors with HC changes. Only a bit more than a handful of teams hasn't /not likely to change HCs in quite awhile
(NE, Pitt, Payton, McVey, Reid, Harbaugh) :rolleyes:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"I've never heard of the guy and just googled his resume' but let me chime in ............."

-90% of the posters in this thread.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Not sure. But being released from 6 different teams & being unemployed for 6 years should give us some kind of inclination about Smith.

When was he unemployed for 6 years? I see only 2013

Giff Smith - Wikipedia
As coach:

quickccc

Reaction score
2 days later and still no update on DL coach Giff Smith. Makes me think a deal is not gonna be made for his services.

Fish brought up 2 other DL coach candidates in his blog- two that are familiar and have worked under Quinn: Tosh Lupoi and Travis Jones

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
When was he unemployed for 6 years? I see only 2013

Giff Smith - Wikipedia
As coach:
Ages 7-13.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
2 days later and still no update on DL coach Giff Smith. Makes me think a deal is not gonna be made for his services.

Fish brought up 2 other DL coach candidates in his blog- two that are familiar and have worked under Quinn: Tosh Lupoi and Travis Jones

I like Travis Jones, he reminds me of Richards but of the DLINE.

Uncle_Hank

Reaction score
I think there are two likely possibilities here. Either they interviewed him and weren't impressed, or there's someone on a playoff team that they want to interview before making a decision. Both could still be true.

If so, I wonder who it is? Any DL Quinn connections on the remaining playoff teams?