Twitter: Former Cowboy Bill Bates struggling with dementia

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm so sad to hear about Bill Bates. Bates is a class act, on and off the field!! I met him at a tailgate party a few years ago. He was signing autographs. There was an idiot Commander's fan in the line, and when he got up to Bill's table, he took off his Commanders cap and asked Bates to sign it! All the other people in line were booing and told Bill not to sign it!! He was a really good sport about it, and signed it anyway. When it was my turn to get Bill's autograph, I told him he was awfully nice to sign an "enemy" cap. He said, "oh well...I guess I have fans of all types!" LOL God bless you Bill. Praying for you and your family. :(

Actually, once you think about it, if he showed that to other Commanders fans, they may have beaten him up. As they would see it as desecrating their team. Then again they may be too dumb to think that way, and think it was cool he got a Cowboys player to sign a Commanders item.
I think Bill knew what he was doing and had a laugh about it.
:laugh:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So many massive collision with Bates on Kickoff returns. I hate it but maybe the XFL kickoff style is the way to go. Steps have already been taken to protecting Qb's and it seems to be working.

Again, I don't like it, but if it can prevent this sad outcome, than what the hell.

I seen or heard a stat about how many concussions and injuries have gone down with the new rule changes. It was quite a lot, but can't remember the number. But it was over 20% as a guess for now for total injuries / concussions.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Sounds like the onset of CTE induced dementia. Very sad to hear. Considering his style of ST play, it's not really shocking this would eventually catch up to Bill Bates. This justifies the rule changes that have already been made by the NFL on how the game is played. It also makes me think the XFL is wise to change the way the "kickoff" is done. Maybe the NFL would be better off adopting the XFL's way of the kickoff.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sadly, there is no recovery from this. Wish the government would take this more serious and get medical scientists to look more into finding some solutions to better counter the onset of any traumatic brain injuries.
They have been researching it. I read a report from a group of neurosurgeons that the best treatment is prevention. There's no way to fix your brain bouncing off your skull and the resulting trauma. They're never going to develop a helmet that prevents concussions, the skull? Yes but concussion is internal.

They're trying to find a way of forecasting if certain people are more prone to CTE but it's not for pro athletes, it is for the youth and soccer is a more dangerous sport for head trauma than football. They can only truly tell if it is CTE post mortem. There are the signs of dementia and certainly with Bill, the cause is pretty evident the way he played the game.

quickccc

Reaction score
I seen or heard a stat about how many concussions and injuries have gone down with the new rule changes. It was quite a lot, but can't remember the number. But it was over 20% as a guess for now for total injuries / concussions.

however I do wonder if the number of concussions have truly gone down, ... or is it that is it's not being reported by some of these NFL medical staff as required ?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bates is tough and stuck that helmet in everywhere he could.
And we cheered him for it. There were times when Bill Bates was the only constant we could count on. He only played one way, all out.

I can remember being at one game that my wife didn't want to go to so I took a bud. The Giants were inside the 5 and he said "well, hell, at least we get to see Bill Bates". That's how bad some of those teams he was on were. Who pulls for the other team to score so we can see our gunner on a kick off? The answer, Cowboys fans in the late 80's.