1. I am excited to announce the launch of ...
    NEWS and RUMORS is a powerful and versatile news and content search engine and reader that provides access to content from a large variety of sites.

NEWS and RUMORS does not track individual users and uses a password-less login system so only an email address is required to login.

Once logged in, you can add your favorite content feeds and searches to your Favorites list, bookmark content you want to read later, and find a lot of global, national and local content on a variety of topics.

Dismiss Notice

Twitter: Former Cowboy Bill Bates struggling with dementia

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Hawkeye0202, Feb 20, 2020.

1. iceberg

iceberg rock music matters Zone Supporter

33,779 Messages
    6,990 Likes Received
    long time ago he used to have rallys out at his place and it was pretty much an open invite from what i remember. only went once but it was a hell of a time.

certainly one of my all time favorite cowboys.

2. StarMan2112

StarMan2112 Well-Known Member

1,710 Messages
    1,522 Likes Received
    So sorry to hear this. Bill is one of my favorite Cowboys.

3. dplant22

dplant22 Well-Known Member

1,010 Messages
    970 Likes Received
    Sad news, my mother recently passed away from dementia. It's a horrible disease, hope the best for him

Crazed Liotta Eyes and Xelda like this.
  4. Jake

Jake Curmudgeon

19,314 Messages
    36,015 Likes Received
    This saddens me. Bates is one of my all-time favorite Cowboys, but given his playing style and longevity I'm not entirely surprised.

5. GMO415

GMO415 Well-Known Member

9,486 Messages
    15,956 Likes Received
    Who left now?

6. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

62,834 Messages
    69,953 Likes Received
    Broaddus first and now word of Jessie Holley as well.

GMO415 and Crazed Liotta Eyes like this.
  7. WTtoolman

WTtoolman Well-Known Member

206 Messages
    321 Likes Received
    Any word as to why Broaddus left??

8. SuspectCorner

SuspectCorner Bromo Zone Supporter

8,896 Messages
    1,617 Likes Received
    special teams ace. how does the slowest guy on the field make soooo many tackles in kick coverage? guy was amazing!

9. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

62,834 Messages
    69,953 Likes Received
    He's never said anything publicly as to why, and has even denied it had anything to do with Mickey. But I know that as with many people, Broaddus didn't get along with Mickey either. And I think at some level it had to be A factor. Maybe not THE factor, but one of them. Nobody wants to have to deal with a coworker you can't stand every day. I think the radio stuff presented itself in some fashion and Broaddus took the opportunity. But I've never read or heard any comprehensive statements as to why.

WTtoolman and Crazed Liotta Eyes like this.
  10. Crazed Liotta Eyes

Crazed Liotta Eyes Well-Known Member

1,198 Messages
    2,455 Likes Received
    Sad to hear this. I played all sports growing up, including football and I'll just say that it was the only one that had me questioning what I was doing. I got hit by a 96 mph fastball that left a baseball-sized bruise in my back and it was still nothing like colliding with a 200+ pound running back with a full head of steam.

Jake likes this.
  11. SuspectCorner

SuspectCorner Bromo Zone Supporter

8,896 Messages
    1,617 Likes Received
    Next up, Roy Williams... not making light of - just suggesting these are the consequences of that playing style that STILL finds us thrilled and enthralled as fans.

Jake likes this.
  12. Centex

Centex Well-Known Member

418 Messages
    1,239 Likes Received
    Every time I hear about a other player going though this I start feeling guilty for watching the damn game.

13. LocoBates

LocoBates Member

31 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    This is indeed sad news. One of my favorite Cowboy of all time.
    He got his nickname in Spanish (NFL transmission in SAP) because his heroics and 'cause he would do stuff that no one else would on the field. I still remember how on a kickoff play he flew horizontally to break a 5 men wall to allow his fellow players get to the returner, the other team didn't pass the 15 yd mark, I wish I could find it on YouTube, it was on a pre-season game and for many years he was on the cut list and always managed to earn a position on the 53 man roster.

14. GMO415

GMO415 Well-Known Member

9,486 Messages
    15,956 Likes Received
    Again? Sheesh

15. lockster

lockster Well-Known Member

1,463 Messages
    517 Likes Received
    Dementia can strike for many reasons, for them to say this was from concussions is not exactly accurate. However, I would think that, as my first guess. The science of proving this condition is not proven methodologically yet. I do believe concussions are damaging though. That's why, I think it's crazy to become a boxer or octagon fighter, not sure the payoff is with the punishment to Ur brain. Exercise can produce new connections in the brain till the day you die, do I think he needs to work on that, then maybe memory exercises to try and counter this if at all possible.

16. Blackrain

Blackrain Well-Known Member

2,737 Messages
    3,659 Likes Received
    A willingness that is nowhere to be found in todays NFL

17. Blackrain

Blackrain Well-Known Member

2,737 Messages
    3,659 Likes Received
    A true warrior that embodied what it was to give your all every play . Sorry to hear this tragic news

18. DallasDW00ds0n

DallasDW00ds0n Well-Known Member

7,181 Messages
    5,870 Likes Received
    Damn only 58

GMO415 likes this.
  19. DHCBF66

DHCBF66 Benched

1,278 Messages
    1,555 Likes Received
    Horrible....one of my favorite all time Cowboys.

GMO415 likes this.
  20. PTBarnum

PTBarnum New Member

5 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Thanks for the memories Bill. Very sad news, he was fearless on the field. Hope Bill is fearless in is current battle.

GMO415 likes this.