News: Former Cowboys Director of Scouting Larry Lacewell passes away

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
It was? Williams had no more than 38 catches in a season and 5 TD in 4 years.
Lots of good solid players up and down the list.
Ron Stone was a solid starter in the NFL for several years.
Darin Smith was also solid.
I mean it was not a stellar draft, but not a dumpster fire either.
Now the special teams draft, that was a boondogal!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Lots of good solid players up and down the list.
Ron Stone was a solid starter in the NFL for several years.
Darin Smith was also solid.
I mean it was not a stellar draft, but not a dumpster fire either.
Now the special teams draft, that was a boondogal!

I think Jimmy did great with the draft especially early on, he had an insight to players many he recruited in college even if the player when elsewhere like Emmitt who went to Florida but Jimmy recruited him. There is no way of knowing the further Jimmy was removed from college that his draft would have continue to hit. He brought Lacewell to Dallas to head up scouting and player evaluation. As we saw Lacewell did not do a very good job. Jerry hired Ireland which was an improvement and now McClay which I think is a improvement and the quality of players has improved. I would say he has hit more than he has missed.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I think Jimmy did great with the draft especially early on, he had an insight to players many he recruited in college even if the player when elsewhere like Emmitt who went to Florida but Jimmy recruited him. There is no way of knowing the further Jimmy was removed from college that his draft would have continue to hit. He brought Lacewell to Dallas to head up scouting and player evaluation. As we saw Lacewell did not do a very good job. Jerry hired Ireland which was an improvement and now McClay which I think is a improvement and the quality of players has improved. I would say he has hit more than he has missed.
One thing to also keep in mind was the Multitude of draft picks Jimmy had to work with as a result of the Walker trade.
He had some misses, but could afford to.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
One thing to also keep in mind was the Multitude of draft picks Jimmy had to work with as a result of the Walker trade.
He had some misses, but could afford to.

No doubt Walker trade was a major win, to this day I can't believe how stupid Mike Lynn was. To trade that many players and draft picks to acquire 1 player. Of course when the trade 1st happened Jerry took heat for getting rid of our best player once it all worked out people cheered Jimmy.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was a knowledgeable football man but he was more of a friend to Booger and an enabler. He was one of those people Booger surrounded himself with, the good ole boys, and it was more important to try and make him feel special than tell him the cold hard truth.

The reality was it really didn't matter because the team was in the black and gaining revenue every year so why rain on Booger's parade? And Lacewell was most likely one of those close enough to know the burr under Booger's saddle, Jimmy Johnson. Like Switzer, they all went way back a long way. Just think about it, been 60 years since Booger, Johnson and Switzer were together at Arkansas.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
No doubt Walker trade was a major win, to this day I can't believe how stupid Mike Lynn was. To trade that many players and draft picks to acquire 1 player. Of course when the trade 1st happened Jerry took heat for getting rid of our best player once it all worked out people cheered Jimmy.
Defitnitly worked out best for the Franchise.
I doubt we win 3 SBs without that trade.
btw it's ok to give likes LOL

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
RIP. Slowly one by one all the old architects of glory old days are going, New glory will ever be coming our way before eventually we pass also ???
Until we change our ways of doing things I think the odds are slim.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
He was also one of the biggest reasons why the dynasty died after Jimmy left. He was horrible as a scouting director. “Lacewell” is a four letter word in my dictionary.

RIP. It seems he was a much better person than scout.
Well being a better person was so much more important!

rags747

Reaction score
RIP Larry Lacewell.
Would have loved to be involved in those conversations while drinking between Lacewell, Jerry and Switzer. Absolutely Epic I’m sure!

Maxmadden

Reaction score
He was also one of the biggest reasons why the dynasty died after Jimmy left. He was horrible as a scouting director. “Lacewell” is a four letter word in my dictionary.

RIP. It seems he was a much better person than scout.
Do you know that he was making picks or was it possibly Jerry making picks?