Twitter: Former LB Rickey Jackson talks Cowboys - 12/11/13

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tom Orsborn ‏@tom_orsborn 3m
HOF pass rusher Rickey Jackson defends #Cowboys' Ware. "He's still got the burst...What's different is what's around him."
Jackson says #Cowboys secondary, not Ware, is to blame for lack of sacks. "Their secondary is so terrible, the worst secondary in football."
More from Rickey Jackson on #Cowboys secondary: "Everyone can throw the ball on them. They can’t cover. They can’t press. They’re terrible."
More from Rickey Jackson on #Cowboys secondary, "Get some speed...I just laugh at how easy it is to beat them. Their secondary is a joke."
Jackson believes Ware can thrive in his 30s “It looks like he’s diminishing because of his stats, but he’s not. One guy can't do it alone."

Edited:
Rickey Jackson points out he had 9.5 sacks at age 37 playing for Niners in 1995 with Deion, Merton Hanks and Eric Davis in secondary.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hard to argue with most of that.

I still think Ware's best days are behind him though.

Smith22

Reaction score
Ill agree the safeties and webb can't cover. Carr and scandrick are good enough.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
It is easy to neutralize a pass rush threat when there is only one or two at the most.

All the more reason for the Dl to be priority number one in the offseason, whether Ware is here or not.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
If the secondary is the primary concern, personnel management is worse than I thought. Carr and Claiborne required major resources to acquire, Church is being paid like a starter, and we're still waiting on Matt Johnson. Yikes!

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
More from Rickey Jackson on #Cowboys secondary: "Everyone can throw the ball on them. They can’t cover. They can’t press. They’re terrible."

Better hope Jerry Jones does not read this. We will then trade a second round choice for the right to move up and select whatever garbage CB gets overrated by next spring.

lostar2009

Reaction score
Yeote="loublue22, post: 5346968, member: 25723"]if he wasn't getting blocked by one guy, Rickey would have a point[/quote]

Yea and Romo can stop throwing the ball to one guy maybe we can score some points.

maxdallasfan

Reaction score
Ware is getting handled by no-name LT's. As mentioned, he's not even getting doubled anymore.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The talent void on defense right now is beyond frightening.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Yeote="loublue22, post: 5346968, member: 25723"]if he wasn't getting blocked by one guy, Rickey would have a point

Yea and Romo can stop throwing the ball to one guy maybe we can score some points.[/quote]

Look everyone, the short bus must have just let out from school.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
I can't decide if the corners are that bad. Scandrick probably not, Carr is average, Webb is terrible but just a rookie. Claiborne makes Mike Jenkins look like a hard ***.

The safeties are an atrocity. The fact that the coaching staff plays Heath over Wilcox tells you that. Barry Church, good guy, good tackler, I don't want him in coverage against a high school team. The beat goes on at safety. Still looking for one that is half as good as a Darren Woodson. Rest assured the GM and his crack staff of personnel gurus are all over this.

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
How anyone can watch Carr get abused — nearly record-setting abused — by Calvin and often times be 2-3 steps behind other receivers, all while getting paid $50M and feel good or confident is beyond me.

IMO, he's yet another TERRIBLE contract handed out by Jerry.

Man, what I'd give to be a flash-in-the-pan player who Jerry thinks can help the Cowboys win.

My kids' kids' kids' kids' kids would be set!

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
Mr. Jackson doesn’t know what he is talking about. Ware isn’t the same. I think he is still hurt. What gets me is the secondary was horrible in previous years, the entire secondary has been switched out and they are still horrible. Coaches have been changed out and still the same result. Scandrick is the only constant. Secondary is harder to figure out than abiogenesis.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
How anyone can watch Carr get abused — nearly record-setting abused — by Calvin and often times be 2-3 steps behind other receivers, all while getting paid $50M and feel good or confident is beyond me.

IMO, he's yet another TERRIBLE contract handed out by Jerry.

Man, what I'd give to be a flash-in-the-pan player who Jerry thinks can help the Cowboys win.

My kids' kids' kids' kids' kids would be set!

That's odd -- I could have sworn everyone was praising Carr all of four or five weeks ago for being one of the true lock down corners in the game. Don't make me go back and find all those comments, I know I'm not imagining them.

Titleist

Reaction score
Ware is getting handled by no-name LT's. As mentioned, he's not even getting doubled anymore.

Perhaps earlier in the season, but on Monday he was going up against Bushrod who is easily a top 5 LT in the league and has been stonewalling DE's all year.

BIGDen

Dr. Freakasaurus
Reaction score
Yeote="loublue22, post: 5346968, member: 25723"]if he wasn't getting blocked by one guy, Rickey would have a point

Yea and Romo can stop throwing the ball to one guy maybe we can score some points.[/quote]

Wow. Just....wow.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Agree with Jackson, but he's exhaggerating a bit with Ware.

Ware looked good on a couple of early downs vs the Bears but he was non-existent later in the game.