Four Cowboys make a 2022 Top 75 FAs list

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As we head into the off-season, 21 Cowboys will be Free Agents looking for new and better deals. According to NFL writer Sheil Kapedia, only 4 of them make his list of top 75 NFL FAs in 2022. (Can’t post a link because it’s paywall stuff)

I don’t completely agree with Kapedia’s assessments but it is interesting how he ranks the Cowboys he thinks will be pursued by many teams. (For the record, the article has DaVante Adams, packers WR as 1, chiefs LT Orland Brown, Jr at 2 and Bucs WR Cris Godwin at 3)

Here are the Cowboys picked among the top 75 FAs in 2022:
  • At #25 is Dalton Schultz- I was a little surprised at this ranking but consider his comparative numbers- He ranks 7th among all TEs with 1,423 receiving yards over the past 2 seasons, and his 12 touchdowns the last 2 years are tied for 6th most. Schultz is only 26 and has never missed a game during the past 3 seasons. He’s not a great athlete like Travis Kelce but he’s solid. Worth it? Not sure.
  • At #44 is Randy Gregory- RG had a good but not great year, so I don’t see him this high. He had 6 sacks and only played in 12 games this year due to a calf injury. He was a rotational player in 2020, and he was completely out of football in 2019. Is he worth big money when he’s only played more than 12 games just once in his whole career?
  • At #45 is Michael Gallup- if not for the injuries this year Gallup was headed for a bigger payday. From 2019 to 2020, he had 1,950 yards which was 22nd among wide receivers, and his15.6 YPR average was 4th among players with at least 100 catches during that span. One thing I like about Gallup that Cooper doesn’t have as much is the ability to stretch the field. If Coop is released for cap reasons, keeping Gallup isn’t crazy.
  • At #65- Jayron Kearse- he was only on a one-year, $1.13 million “prove it” deal last year, and he kinda did prove he has value. Kearse started 15 games and finished with 101 tackles, missing just 3.9% of his tackle attempts, which was the second-best mark among allNFL safeties. He was also very versatile playing at both S and some slot corner, and was even decent as an occasional blitz player. Will he be too expensive?
From what I’ve read, these FAs will be the most sought after and most expensive to keep. Any of these guys worth keeping at a higher price? What say you?

In my book, Gallup is intriguing because of his field stretching skills. IMO, Schultz will be too costly, Gregory is too undependable. Kearse? Maybe.

Cebrin

Reaction score
As we head into the off-season, 21 Cowboys will be Free Agents looking for new and better deals. According to NFL writer Sheil Kapedia, only 4 of them make his list of top 75 NFL FAs in 2022. (Can’t post a link because it’s paywall stuff)

I don’t completely agree with Kapedia’s assessments but it is interesting how he ranks the Cowboys he thinks will be pursued by many teams. (For the record, the article has DaVante Adams, packers WR as 1, chiefs LT Orland Brown, Jr at 2 and Bucs WR Cris Godwin at 3)

• At #25 is Dalton Schultz- I was a little surprised at this ranking but consider his comparative numbers- He ranks 7th among all TEs with 1,423 receiving yards over the past 2 seasons, and his 12 touchdowns the last 2 years are tied for 6th most. Schultz is only 26 and has never missed a game during the past 3 seasons. He’s not a great athlete like Travis Kelce but he’s solid. Worth it? Not sure.
  • At #44 is Randy Gregory- RG had a good but not great year, so I don’t see him this high. He had 6 sacks and only played in 12 games this year due to a calf injury. He was a rotational player in 2020, and he was completely out of football in 2019. Is he worth big money when he’s only played more than 12 games just once in his whole career?
  • At #45 is Michael Gallup- if not for the injuries this year Gallup was headed for a bigger payday. From 2019 to 2020, he had 1,950 yards which was 22nd among wide receivers, and his15.6 YPR average was 4th among players with at least 100 catches during that span. One thing I like about Gallup that Cooper doesn’t have as much is the ability to stretch the field. If Coop is released for cap reasons, keeping Gallup isn’t crazy.
  • At #65- Jayron Kearse- he was only on a one-year, $1.13 million “prove it” deal last year, and he kinda did prove he has value. Kearse started 15 games and finished with 101 tackles, missing just 3.9% of his tackle attempts, which was the second-best mark among allNFL safeties. He was also very versatile playing at both S and some slot corner, and was even decent as an occasional blitz player. Will he be too expensive?
From what I’ve read, these FAs will be the most sought after and most expensive to keep. Any of these guys worth keeping at a higher price? What say you?

In my book, Gallup is intriguing because of his field stretching skills. IMO, Schultz will be too costly, Gregory is too undependable. Kearse? Maybe.
None of them are irreplaceable.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Shultz can't block, let him go

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I would like to keep Kearse if we can. He is one of the main leaders of the defense and bring a physicality to that position we haven't seen since Barry Church. I also think you absolutely have to keep at least one of D-law or Gregory or else our defensive end situation next season will be borderline untenable. Schultz is more of a product of circumstances in Dallas I think. His production can be mostly replaced by a younger tight end or two on comparably cheaper deals.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

Yep, wouldn't argue with that assessment, though I would add the caveat that Gregory appeared to play better earlier part of season possibly due to a combination of: tiring as his first full season in a while and gassed himself trying and/or the limited number of reps once D/Law came back.
I agree with @BleedSilverandBlue that we'll keep one of D/Law or Gregory, unless a must take Edge falls ito us in the draft. I am a bit repetitive, but Gregory appears to have the advantage that his skill set appears to blend better with the run defense offered by the rest of our DE Corp and there's the CAP saving, which whilst $8m, is a better outcome rather than restructuring contracts that are already hindering. Imo

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I think a lot of us are undervaluing Schultz's contributions. No question Kelce, Kittle, Waller, Andrews, and probably Pitts are better, but he's emerged in that 2nd tier of TEs. He'll probably be somewhere in the Hunter Henry range 12 to 13 million a season. However, that's a lot and you have to compare to some other free agent TEs and ask is there anyone on that list that could mostly do what Schultz contributes for a fraction of the cost? Njoku, Ertz, Everett, Conklin, Tonyan, Uzomah, and Engram are all guys likely to cost less to varying degrees. Then you have some intriguing bargain bin flyers like Howard, Hurst, Ebron that haven't lived up to their draft status

I do want Schultz back, but there are guys there I would be ok with plugging in as our starting TE in 22.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/tight-end/

Last edited:

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I think a lot of us are undervaluing Schultz's contributions. No question Kelce, Kittle, Waller, Andrews, and probably Pitts are better, but he's emerged in that 2nd tier of TEs. He'll probably be somewhere in the Hunter Henry range 12 to 13 million a season. However, that's a lot and you have to compare to some other free agent TEs and ask is there anyone on that list that could do what Schultz contributes for a fraction of the cost? Njoku, Ertz, Everett, Conklin, Tonyan, Uzomah, and Engram are all guys likely to cost less to varying degrees. Then you have some intriguing bargain bin flyers like Howard, Hurst, Ebron that haven't lived up to their draft status.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/tight-end/

Under valued or not there appears to be decent TE's to be got in the middle rounds of the draft. We haven't the CAP to be over paying Schultz for a good contract year.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Interesting to see no Connor Williams. If he’s that poorly viewed around the league he may end up back in Dallas just due to the cheaper than expected price tag.

my main priority would be finding ways to keep Gregory/kearse

With approximately 8 Guards ranked in most draft boards and him being not even in the top 10 FA at the position im sure we could get Connor on minimum wage to play back-up. Possibly cut McGovern for a $2.5m saving, or let him concentrate on his RB duties.

Obs we need a LG in first couple of rounds.

visionary

Reaction score
I’m really thinking this is not gonna be a good year for us with the current cast

I’m thinking we will overpay for these guys

I’d let them all test the market

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Kearse is pretty close. Ran the defense, great tackler and took some of the best TEs out of the game.

Yep, if we had the CAP, he would be a no-brainer, especially as he appears to be the hybrid all-round SS who plays with LB traits which Quinn likes.

The problem may be how much he'll cost especially as we have Wilson (and whether we can afford cutting Neal for a $1m;)). It'll be interesting if the Jones give Quinn a limited 'budget' maybe he'd want to concentrate on a FS or he may see Kearse as covering two weaknesses, playing the SS/LB role, he covers, is physical and can blitz and plays with intelligence.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
This team has battled with safety problems for years. They now have three good ones in Kearse, Wilson and Hooker. KEEP ALL THREE if possible

Not saying you're wrong by any means, however, "If Possible" is going to be the catch phrase this off-season.....another is going to be "either/or". In a CAP free (or at least managed) world we wouldnt be even talking about the futures of: Tank, Coop or even Kearse. The problems we have (that drum's getting a banging again) is that the CAP reality is we either restructure some terribly damaging contracts (Zeke,Tank, Coop, DLaw and Tyron) all for the sake of going all-in on a very similar team that lost at home to no.6 seed ....and then live in poverty for the next 2/3 years as we pay for the restructuring.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I’m really thinking this is not gonna be a good year for us with the current cast

I’m thinking we will overpay for these guys

I’d let them all test the market
A lot will depend on what version of Dak appears for the 2022 campaign. If he returns in fist half 2021 form, that will be a tremendous boost.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
A lot will depend on what version of Dak appears for the 2022 campaign. If he returns in fist half 2021 form, that will be a tremendous boost.
I think the votes have been cast and counted and the vast majority of both sides of the Dak debate agree that he's never going to deliver anything without an O-Line that's at least going to gain parity with opposition.
First FA/draft consideration is to improve that line for Dak and the run games sake.