News: Fox: Cowboys' trade for Trey Lance is opportunistic and straight out of Eagles' playbook

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, if that's the case then we know why they've been borderline trash for the last 27 years.
People have been thinking that for a long time. This site has hundreds of posts (if not thousands) reflecting that viewpoint, posts which have accumulated during Jerry Jones annual decision-making at the position.

Momanpr100

Reaction score
It was actually pretty slick of Jerry to talk about the possibility of Jonathan Taylor and then does this.

Momanpr100

Reaction score

plymkr

Reaction score
Jalen Hurts gave Jerry religion on QB investment. "We got Wentz and we gave him a big contract..." would be how the Cowboys would handle the Eagles QB situation years ago. The Eagles said, "Yeah but...let's float a 2nd rounder on Hurts...".
And as much as I've witness Dak improve his accuracy, footwork, etc...he still hasn't had a season where he performed like Jaylon did last year. Yes, Jaylon had a stacked team and yes, he needs to do it again this year to convince me, but...you don't have to wait 8 years and invest tons of money to get return on QB investment these days.
Completely agree

plymkr

Reaction score
Agree with much of what you write here. I just don't think Jerry cares *that* much about Dak's psyche. He openly pined for Romo while Dak was playing his best football as a Cowboy. He more than intimated to his face that he overpaid him during contract negotiations. While he was absolutely smitten with Romo, I think Jerry doesn't mind lighting a fire under Dak. In fact, I think he smoked a cigar afterwards.
You know you're right. I do remember him talking about Romo. Good call.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
The dude missed his last year of college cuz of COVID. He was injured the first two years in the NFL and was under tremendous pressure to prove he was worth the haul 40 whiners gave up for him. This is a good move. It only costed a 4th. Don't know how anyone can't like this. He gets to sit behind Dak and learn with a elephant off his back. Read a post here complaining Cowboys never address the back up QB position. Now we do and it's a bad move. Lol!!
Yes. And he could be what this QB room needs - a push to perform better.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Cowboys used a 4th round pick for their current QB1. They’re paying him $40 million per season and considering paying him even more. If Lance, also acquired for a 4th round pick, ascends to QB1 he’ll be looking for even more. There is nothing cheap about anything done here.
this year and next its cheap

lopey

Reaction score
Lots of examples of QBs drafted in the Top 10 (or even top 20) to be their team's Franchise QB , who were a bust for the team that picked them, and then resurrected their career and found real success on their 2nd team?

Warren moon wasn't a top 10 draft pick. (Wasn't he a star USFL guy that came to the NFL?)

There's Young.... there's Tannehil (kind of)... and I just can't think of anyone else in like 40 years. There's a zillion Tim Couchs, Ryan Leafs, Vince Youngs and JaMarcus Russels out there....but hardly any Steve Youngs. The busts that stayed busts, probably outnumber the busts who turned it around, by 75 to 1 or more.
Moon played in the Cfl

CCBoy

Reaction score
Moon played in the Cfl
Yep, in a period where black quarterbacks were stymied in progression. There also was a Boston College QB that was considered too small for the NFL and he returned and was successful also. Karl Williams with Washington, the first black Super Bowl victor...

pansophy

Reaction score
If the Cowboys are willing to pay a guy $6 million for two years that has done absolutely nothing in the NFL Dak should feel comfortable, based on his body of work, asking for over $60 million per season. And he’ll get it. He has his detractors here, but Dak Prescott is a very good quarterback. And he, and his representation, know Trey Lance is not an option. If Jerry even suggests Lance is a viable option Dak’s price tag will jump to $70 million just for insulting his intelligence.
I would argue the exact opposite. We get to look at Lance for a year and assess whether he has potential or not. If he does we can walk away from Dak if his play is mediocre or he wants an untenable cap number and not have to worry about drafting a physically gifted QB. If Lance is truly a bust then Dak is in the same high-leverage position he was in with Rush and Grier on the roster. To suggest Dak's negotiation position is better with Lance on the roster than Grier defies logic -- if anything it's a wash, and it has the potential to give Dallas more leverage if Lance is good in practices.