News: Fox: Cowboys' trade for Trey Lance is opportunistic and straight out of Eagles' playbook

CowboysJames69

Reaction score
I don't mind us churning some talent at the qb position, we should be drafting a qb every year or two in the later rounds. He also can hopefully give us intel on he 49ers offense and defense also. I am not sold on Purdy with a such a small sample so far on a loaded team with a great defense. If he crashes back to earth or gets injured the 49ers will have to turn to Sam Darnold so that would be in our favor as the 49ers have been our roadblock the las two years

Aven8

Reaction score
The timing here sucks. TC is over so the practice day to day will be limited.

Reactions: Ken

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I get on to see literally 7 replies and 1 mention from you.

You're obsessed with me.
oooh, I am glad I make you feel better. you need some attention and love. your loneliness is not fair to you.

and your are Obsessed with Dak. he lives in your head. rent free. 24x7. you never go one moment in the day without thinking Dak. wanting, itching to get back on this board and posting something. just so obsessed. all dak. all the time. non stop.. :eek:

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
23 year old prospect, people are calling him trash when he absolutely had no field experience in the NFL. One season he had a 97% passer rating. I don’t think that’s trash. Buffalo wanted him also. He’s a great prospect with no downside at all.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Seems like I keep getting blocked from threads concerning the Cowboys trading for Trey Lance. Let's see if I don't get blocked from this one either. Sheesh.

My biggest concern is the very reason why someone who is a pass happy coach like Kyle Shanahan would give up on Trey Lance after only 2 years of having this kid on his roster after Shanahan gave up three 1st round picks to move up and draft Lance 3rd overall, especially after having barely a 1 year experienced younger QB (Purdy) who was drafted last overall in the whole 2022 draft, plus another 3rd overall draft pick in Sam Darnold who is now on his 3rd team in 5 years? This should be a huge concern for every Cowboys fan. Clearly, Kyle Shanahan and the 49ers saw enough of Lance to give up and accept a middle round pick for this super costly investment who was supposed to be their franchise QB by now. I wouldn't complain much if it was for a 6th or 7th round draft pick, but a 4th is a little troubling for me if this kid doesn't pan out.
According to Lynch they didn't give up on him. He also reported that Lance had asked to be traded.

And you keep getting locked out because you get mad and lash out at the trolls, bro. They may be stupid but you cannot just out and say it. Them being stupid is part of their routine. It is intentionally frustrating.

Attack the argument not the person.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak due $60 million in 2024.

TL is Daks replacement.
MN3zi1z.gif

Doomsday77

Reaction score
It’s quite an investment for a 3rd string QB. Over 6 million over 2 years .

Wonder how Cooper Rush feels about his new 5 million contract now? It’s over a million less.
I'm wondering if maybe we can turn this into a trade for what we really need like an o-lineman? Give up Rush for someone in return since as you pointed out he is now getting less the TL.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If you paid $100, 000 for an original Vincent Van Gogh,....and then later found out that the TRUE artist was really Vincent VanGork, a plumber who lives in New Jersey who makes counterfeits as a side hussle in his dirty stinky garage ...... and then you were able to sell the worthless piece of krap to someone for 50 bucks, then you won the trade to whoever bought it from you for 50 bucks.
Interesting. I see this as me losing $95,950.00 and the other guy getting a cheap piece of art to throw on his wall and maybe Vincent VanGork becomes famous down the road and the art becomes valuable.

Meh, different perspectives I guess.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
This is about his QBs not his offense.
I think Shanahan's system can make some QBs look better. Garoppolo is exhibit A. i don't think people understand the dynamic as you allude to. They interpret that as Shanahan as being a savant.

I think they are wrong. His RPO system transcends that but he demands a very high level and very specific level of detail. There is no room for ad libbing or tailored adjustments like we have seen from Dak and particularly from Romo. You execute it as it is supposed to be and that is that.

If a QB can do that then they look great. Well until defenses adjust.

Lance just has not got a chance to play. He has like 100 NFL attempts to this point. That being said he doesn't throw a lot of picks which flies in teh face of people claiming he cannot read defenses and his arm talent is apparent.

I am interested to see how he develops over the course of the next couple of years.

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
They gave up a 4th rd pick, you know, the same round Dak was drafted ;) lol

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
So you're telling us Jerry is a hell of a lot better than the eagles gm? Because Lance is a legitimate nfl talent and Minshew is a journeyman backup.
Minshew was acquired to be a backup, not ever projected to be the Eagles starter. And they’ve since moved on from him. He is a journeyman and has accomplished considerably more than Lance ever will. There is no reason to believe Trey Lance is going to succeed in the NFL. He has not given any reason to believe it. He spent years with San Francisco, who were legitimately invested him, knew him better than the 31 other teams possibly could, and they decided to trade him for a fourth round draft pick. You do the math.

32BellyOption

Reaction score
He's been trash so far. Anything is better than will Grier I guess!
I think injuries have something to do with his play and playing consistently. If he can stay healthy it’ll be interesting seeing where he is this time next year. As for Grier he showed flashes but decision making lacked. Of corse doesn’t help playing behind the porous backup o-line.

JustChip

Reaction score
What?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LancTr00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MinsGa00.htm

Sounded good.

There isn't a GM in the league other than this idiot in Dallas that would take Lance over Minshew to win a game this year.

I prefer that to fan boy nonsense.
This move wasn’t made to help win a game this year. The pick they traded isn’t going to help win a game this year since it’s in next year’s draft.

Grier has been terrible and this team will go nowhere if he has to play more than a few plays. In that case, they are no worse off. Essentially, they picked a QB in next year’s draft, but get a year of development to see if he can help win a game next year.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This move wasn’t made to help win a game this year. The pick they traded isn’t going to help win a game this year since it’s in next year’s draft.

Grier has been terrible and this team will go nowhere if he has to play more than a few plays. In that case, they are no worse off. Essentially, they picked a QB in next year’s draft, but get a year of development to see if he can help win a game next year.
Trade Grade: F