News: Fox: Cowboys' trade for Trey Lance is opportunistic and straight out of Eagles' playbook

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
If Lance works out it would just be a continuation of the Cowboys trend of pulling "franchise" QB's out of the back of the closet.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Lance works out it would just be a continuation of the Cowboys trend of pulling "franchise" QB's out of the back of the closet.
Some readers might disagree but general manager Jerry Jones has established more of a preference of depending more upon undrafted free agents and mid round drafted prospects than drafting first rounders.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Dak due $60 million in 2024.

TL is Daks replacement.
Dak will sign an extension that will reduce that cap hit at least in half by spreading the money out into future years. And even that will be mitigated by the fact the salary cap is only going to keep increasing, thus making Dak's contract cost even less against the total expenditure.

Sorry if this ruins your day.

pansophy

Reaction score
Yep. That's all this move did was give Dak more leverage to demand even higher pay with another no-trade clause and to hell how it financially will continue to affect the salary cap and how to keep a playoff quality team together.
How does adding a physically talented QB give Dak more leverage?

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Some readers might disagree but general manager Jerry Jones has established more of a preference of depending more upon undrafted free agents and mid round drafted prospects than drafting first rounders.
You are right. The biggest "investment" on a QB post-Aikman was using a second round pick on Quincy Carter in 2001.

Since then (not counting free agent signings from other teams) it was Chad Hutchinson (undrafted baseball player 2002), Tony Romo (undrafted rookie 2003), Drew Henson (mid-round pick traded to Houston 2004), Stephen McGee (4th round pick 2009), Dak Prescott (4th round pick 2016), Cooper Rush (undrafted rookie 2017) and Ben DiNucci (7th round pick 2020).

They essentially "lucked" into Romo and Dak. This team's recent history of actually drafting and developing QB's is really non-existent.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Bother to see him play against us last year?
50x > Trey Lance
Minshew has been hit and miss with a lot more evidence about who he is as a QB than Lance. The point is that the Eagles traded for him and I'd certainly say it didn't turn out to be a great trade. He was good for the Eagles in 2021, but not in 2022 when he went 1-2 as a starter on a stacked Eagles team. You mention that game against us when he threw for more than 300 yards but also threw as many interceptions as TDs. In the next game, he essentially sealed the Eagles' loss to New Orleans with a fourth-quarter interception.

Funny thing is, in 2021 he finished a game for an injured Hurts and had a great outing, then went to the coach and asked to be named the starter. Don't think the Eagles necessarily regretted that trade, but it didn't turn out to be a great one.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
How does adding a physically talented QB give Dak more leverage?
If the Cowboys are willing to pay a guy $6 million for two years that has done absolutely nothing in the NFL Dak should feel comfortable, based on his body of work, asking for over $60 million per season. And he’ll get it. He has his detractors here, but Dak Prescott is a very good quarterback. And he, and his representation, know Trey Lance is not an option. If Jerry even suggests Lance is a viable option Dak’s price tag will jump to $70 million just for insulting his intelligence.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Minshew was acquired to be a backup, not ever projected to be the Eagles starter. And they’ve since moved on from him. He is a journeyman and has accomplished considerably more than Lance ever will. There is no reason to believe Trey Lance is going to succeed in the NFL. He has not given any reason to believe it. He spent years with San Francisco, who were legitimately invested him, knew him better than the 31 other teams possibly could, and they decided to trade him for a fourth round draft pick. You do the math.
I did. It makes sense. You do not.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Whatever he becomes or doesn't, this is a great move. We can't afford a great QB, we'll never be bad enough to draft one barring luck, so let's develop one.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
I don’t really care that this is a move the Eagles would make. Here’s what I care about. Jerry stated prior to the draft we would “look into the QB position “. The draft came and went and no QB. Now we got a QB in the 4th round that at one time, not too long ago, was the 3rd overall pick. If he didn’t have the physical ability he wouldn’t have been drafted this high. Jerry came through on a promise. Even typing that is weird for me. Jerry came through on a promise. He invested in the QB position and all of our eggs are not in the Dak basket.

To me it’s significant and sends a message that Jerry wants to win if he is willing bring in a QB that was drafted at one time to be a franchise guy. A lot of us, me included, did not like how Dak had no one to compete with. Well now he knows if he doesn’t get it done Jerry is willing to replace him.

If Dak falters in the playoffs or against playoff caliber defenses then we have a guy in house to compete against him. I feel it’s a great move than spending a 1-3 pick on a QB that may or may not develop in next year’s draft. It’s a good risk reward, boom or bust gamble. And Jerry only gambled a 4th rounder. If it sucks well we’re used to Jerry gambling on picks anyway. I’m happy he’s gambling with a QB.
Jalen Hurts gave Jerry religion on QB investment. "We got Wentz and we gave him a big contract..." would be how the Cowboys would handle the Eagles QB situation years ago. The Eagles said, "Yeah but...let's float a 2nd rounder on Hurts...".
And as much as I've witness Dak improve his accuracy, footwork, etc...he still hasn't had a season where he performed like Jaylon did last year. Yes, Jaylon had a stacked team and yes, he needs to do it again this year to convince me, but...you don't have to wait 8 years and invest tons of money to get return on QB investment these days.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
Truth. If the Eagles did make this trade we’d be discussing how they have a real GM and we don’t. It’s on record that I’m not a fan of Jerry the GM but I’m a fan of this trade and I feel Jerry did good. Jerry did what other GMs do, he saw a way to possibly upgrade his team and didn’t worry about hurting Dak’s feelings. This is so unlike Jerry and the way Jerry coddles his QBs that I’m impressed he did it. And it takes a lot for me to say Jerry did good. It’s like complimenting my ex girlfriend, it just feels wrong but I believe Jerry did a good GM move here.
Agree with much of what you write here. I just don't think Jerry cares *that* much about Dak's psyche. He openly pined for Romo while Dak was playing his best football as a Cowboy. He more than intimated to his face that he overpaid him during contract negotiations. While he was absolutely smitten with Romo, I think Jerry doesn't mind lighting a fire under Dak. In fact, I think he smoked a cigar afterwards.

JustChip

Reaction score
Trade Grade: F
Nope. An Incomplete until one sees what players are available when the 49ers and on the clock with the pick. And really not even then. The grade will be known at the end of next year’s preseason.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
Dak will sign an extension that will reduce that cap hit at least in half by spreading the money out into future years. And even that will be mitigated by the fact the salary cap is only going to keep increasing, thus making Dak's contract cost even less against the total expenditure.

Sorry if this ruins your day.
I don't like this, but I don't think you're wrong. The odds are that Trey Lance is exactly what the 49ers thought he was and Dak is still our "best" option.

But it's hard to argue that Dak thinks he's convinced Jerry he's the franchise QB of the future. Like build another team around future. Teams have windows and this one will not be open long when everyone leaves to get paid. A franchise QB extends that window by raising up the talent level around him. Dak does that well enough to win the division but not in the playoffs. Jerry believes we need superior talent at QB rather than needing to be right on 5 out of 7 draft picks every year because your QB is above average, but not great.

Sheepherder

Reaction score
Well, if that's the case then we know why they've been borderline trash for the last 27 years.