Fox new mock draft 3.0

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
What about if we don't get Owens? We will need to take Jackson or Homes. Dallas can still get an outside linebacker in the 3rd round. Ryan LaCasse. I like him alot more than Wimberely and alot more than Carpenter. Ran a 4.54 and weighs 267 lbs.
If we don't get TO, we re-sign Key and take a LB in the first. Its a much bigger need at this point than WR.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
and Young's should be lower than that

Young has all the media craze and "flash" going for him, but on pure passing skills Cutler is a better prospect

David
I'd rather not rehash this debate.

neosapien23

Reaction score
theogt said:
If we don't get TO, we re-sign Key and take a LB in the first. Its a much bigger need at this point than WR.

Keyshawn might not want to come back. He is a free agent and he already stated that he would like to go to Carolina. The last time I checked, WR is a bigger need than linebacker right now.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
theogt said:
I'd rather not rehash this debate.

me either...but people do it all the time...this is beat the dead horse capital of the world here...

David

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
Keyshawn might not want to come back. He is a free agent and he already stated that he would like to go to Carolina.
Certainly that may be the case. However, according to Key's own words and other media reports, he wants to come back here. He's willing to give Dallas the right to match, and Carolina has stated they have no interest.

kartr

Reaction score
theogt said:
Not to mention Cutler going above Young. This mess with Culter going top 5 is just ridiculous. His true value is low first, high second if that.

Thank you!

kartr

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
and Young's should be lower than that

Young has all the media craze and "flash" going for him, but on pure passing skills Cutler is a better prospect

David

I disagree. Young's a proven winner and he's proved he could carry a team going up against the best, something that Brady Quinn couldn't do.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
kartr said:
I disagree. Young's a proven winner and he's proved he could carry a team going up against the best, something that Brady Quinn couldn't do.
Brady Quinn is the kid I think will end up being the best QB of the last few years.

That is a kid I'd love to acquire.

wileedog

Reaction score
Derinyar said:
I'll still bet Lawson either goes higher up in the draft, closer to the top 10, if teams are convinced he can rush the passer at the NFL level, or lower if teams think hes not going to. LB's tend to slide down the draft consistently, unless they are seen as having elite level pass rushing skills.

Keep in mind at this time last year Ware was considered a 2nd rounder, at best.

Lawson will move up as it gets closer to draft day too, IMO.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
kartr said:

Brady Quinn?? how did he get in the conversation...I was comparing Young's passing abiloty to Cutlers and in seeing them both alot, they arnt even close

but since you mentioned it, after another yr of working with Charlie Weis Brady Quinn and assuming he builds on this seasons success, he will probably be one of the higher rated QB prospects to come out in years...he will also be very advanced coming out and be ready to step in and play right away for somebody

its one of the main reasons I'd love to stockpile picks in next yrs draft, so that if Henson doesnt work out we could have ammo to trade up to get him

David

slick325

Reaction score
theogt said:
When are these idiots going to realize we're taking an OLB in round one?

This draft is deep with OLB's, Tackles and Free Safeties. Not much separates the guys at OLB or T (outside of Hawk at OLB and Ferguson at T) so I think Dallas is going to get a player at those positions in the 2nd and 3rd possibly. Just a feeling I have on this matter. If you look back at the 2004 draft, Dallas needed a RB and decided to trade out of the 1st round with Jackson on the Board because there wasn't much difference among Jackson, K. Jones and J. Jones. I don't see us getting an OLB with #18. Dallas needs to get younger at WR and I think Jerry knows that.

I think that the signing of A.Ayodele gives us flexibility with the 18th pick. Dallas can play him at OLB and draft an ILB in the 3rd like Kai Parham instead of going after Lawson or Wimbley. I would not be adverse to that either. It would allow Dallas to draft Jackson or Holmes (whether we sign T.O. or not) in the 1st, get Jonathan Scott or Jeremy Trueblood in the 2nd. That would give us a future possible star at WR after T.O (if signed) and Glenn get too old to perform (both are in their 30's), a starter at RT and a starting ILB. The remaining picks (second day picks) can be used on a TE, NT and more depth on the OLine.

All of that assumes that we pick up a PK (Brown, Vinatieri, Vanderjagt or Mare), a FS (Coleman) and possibly T.O. in free agency. Couple that with the A. Ayodele and K. Kosier. If this is how our offseason turns out, I for one would be very pleased. We would have youth and talent at all positions and our future would look very bright. Coleman would only be a stop gap at FS and Bledsoe is aging but other than that Dallas in 2007/8 would be pretty good if the youngsters develop.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Brady Quinn is the kid I think will end up being the best QB of the last few years.

That is a kid I'd love to acquire.

agree 100%

with Weis working with him for another yr, if he stays healthy he is a lock for #1 pick next yr and is probably going to be the highest rated pro prospect to come out in years

David

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
There should be a stickied poll about our first round pick.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
wileedog said:
Keep in mind at this time last year Ware was considered a 2nd rounder, at best.

Lawson will move up as it gets closer to draft day too, IMO.

thats not true...even at the Senior Bowl they were talking about him as a 1st rd prospect...he had a great week there and then tore up the combine

David

Q_the_man

Reaction score
Young will go b4 Cutler easily, Cutler wont go top 10 I don't care who says what... and if he does go top 10 some coach will lose their job

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
slick325 said:
This draft is deep with OLB's, Tackles and Free Safeties. Not much separates the guys at OLB or T (outside of Hawk at OLB and Ferguson at T) so I think Dallas is going to get a player at those positions in the 2nd and 3rd possibly. Just a feeling I have on this matter.
If the draft is thick at all three positions the argument works both ways. I really can't see us taking a RIGHT tackle in the first round. Talk about a reach. Also, LB is a much bigger hole than FS in my opinion so I think it's much more likely that Dallas goes OLB in the first and FS/OL(more likely FS if we pick up either Ashworth/Runyan/Fabini) in the second.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Q_the_man said:
Young will go b4 Cutler easily, Cutler wont go top 10 I don't care who says what... and if he does go top 10 some coach will lose their job
Like I said, this is why there are Drafts. I like Cutler more than Young or Leinart. Of course I admit an anti-USC bias.

slick325

Reaction score
theogt said:
If the draft is thick at all three positions the argument works both ways. I really can't see us taking a RIGHT tackle in the first round. Talk about a reach. Also, LB is a much bigger hole than FS in my opinion so I think it's much more likely that Dallas goes OLB in the first and FS/OL(more likely FS if we pick up either Ashworth/Runyan/Fabini) in the second.

Anyone know the status of Al Singleton? If we keep him and Burnett is healthy OLB is not a need position any longer. Again, A. Ayodele plays OLB despite his possible move inside. I can't see Jerry and Parcells picking another OLB after getting Ware and Burnett with two of our first 3 picks from a year ago, signing A.Ayodele who played OLB his whole career and is a former college DE and keeping Al Singleton who would be a perfect reserve player.
My desired lineup would consist of:

Starting LB crew:
LOLB A. Ayodele
LILB K. Parham (3rd round draft pick)
RILB B. James
ROLB D. Ware

Reserves are:
LOLB A. Singleton
LILB Fowler
RILB Boiman (possible F/A pick up)
ROLB K. Burnett

That is not a bad set of LB's. Not great but better than what they were at the end of last season. I really think WR and T will be addressed in the 1st two rounds because we drafted so heavily for defense last year. Just my thoughts.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
slick325 said:
Anyone know the status of Al Singleton? If we keep him and Burnett is healthy OLB is not a need position any longer. Again, A. Ayodele plays OLB despite his possible move inside. I can't see Jerry and Parcells picking another OLB after getting Ware and Burnett with two of our first 3 picks from a year ago, signing A.Ayodele who played OLB his whole career and is a former college DE and keeping Al Singleton who would be a perfect reserve player.

Starting LB crew:
LOLB A. Ayodele
RILB B. James
ROLB D. Ware

Reserves are:
LOLB A. Singleton
LILB Fowler
ROLB K. Burnett

That is not a bad set of LB's. Not great but better than what they were at the end of last season. I really think WR and T will be addressed in the 1st two rounds because we drafted so heavily for defense last year. Just my thoughts.
Word on the board is that Burnett won't be 100% for week 1 so cross that out. Singleton is a big question mark as well. Personally I was a big Singleton fan. He wasn't a playmaker but you definitely weren't going to make big play on him either. I agree though that if Al and Kevin are both 100% and look fine in preseason we're solid at that position. Problem is thats a big if and we won't know the answer by draft time. Better safe than sorry.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
slick325 said:

Starting LB crew:
LOLB A. Ayodele
RILB B. James
ROLB D. Ware

Reserves are:
LOLB A. Singleton
LILB Fowler
ROLB K. Burnett

Word on the board is that Burnett won't be 100% for week 1 so cross that out. Singleton is a big question mark as well. Personally I was a big Singleton fan. He wasn't a playmaker but you definitely weren't going to make big play on him either. I agree though that if Al and Kevin are both 100% and look fine in preseason we're solid at that position. Problem is thats a big if and we won't know the answer by draft time. Better safe than sorry.

I say pick up Coleman and a 2/3 round FS.