Franchise Tag: Demarcus Lawrence & the Salary Cap

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
My point exactly... Where do you think he ranks among DEs today? Where among them do you think he wants to be paid? Do you think he wants to give a discount based on his past or get paid based on his production from this year?

I think someone will give him a big contract at least for 1 year...

12 a year puts him in the top 5 paid. With his past I think that's fair.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Don't be so hard on yourself, maybe I can teach you something.

It's not my money, and it isn't about money. It's about the percentage of the salary cap.

What else are you going to get with 20 million? How about 3-5 really good players?

Please note where I said I wouldn't sign him long term either.
You mean like Nolan Caroll, Cedric Thorton , Stephan Paea , Terrence Williams ? Naw I don’t want 4/5 more scrub / average players with no impact. Give me the premier pass rusher . I’ll take my chances and rent him for a year. There is no one in free agency besides Drew Brees (who will probably be Re-signed) that can impact more than Lawrence .

Galian Beast

Reaction score
You mean like Nolan Caroll, Cedric Thorton , Stephan Paea , Terrence Williams ? Naw I don’t want 4/5 more scrub / average players with no impact. Give me the premier pass rusher . I’ll take my chances and rent him for a year. There is no one in free agency besides Drew Brees (who will probably be Re-signed) that can impact more than Lawrence .

You're not paying attention... or can't do math.

I'm not advocating signing scrubs here. Apparently, you only understand extremes. There are quite a few quality free agents out there that we should be looking at.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
You're not paying attention... or can't do math.

I'm not advocating signing scrubs here. Apparently, you only understand extremes. There are quite a few quality free agents out there that we should be looking at.
The point is you’re not going to get 4/5 good players with 20 million dollars. This isn’t 1999 anymore. You might get 2 good starts with 20 million but 4/5 ? Cmon they’re scrubs or non impactful. Rather have the superstar pass rusher. We had a top 5 pass rusher no way we let him get away.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
So where did you get the 20 million from? It’s about 17 million for the tag. It’s worth it for a year he’s better than some of those guys on that highest paid list.

This list is their average annual salary. The tag is based on the average of the top 5 salaries. What I cited above is the annual average salaries of the top 5 players over the course of their contract.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
The point is you’re not going to get 4/5 good players with 20 million dollars. This isn’t 1999 anymore. You might get 2 good starts with 20 million but 4/5 ? Cmon they’re scrubs or non impactful. Rather have the superstar pass rusher. We had a top 5 pass rusher no way we let him get away.

You don't know nfl contracts. How much did we sign carroll for?

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Thorton was 4.5 million a year , Twill 4 million a year , Caroll was like 2.5 million , Paea was 2.5 that’s already about 13 million for 4 useless players. You can probably sign 4 scrubs like that and fit in hitchens with the remaining 7 million. I’d still rather have Lawrence than all 5 of those type of players. There is no way Lawrence is playing for another team next year stop wasting your time. Your argument makes no sense. We’ve been searching for a good rusher for years finally have one he isn’t going anywhere.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Thorton was 4.5 million a year , Twill 4 million a year , Caroll was like 2.5 million , Paea was 2.5 that’s already about 13 million for 4 useless players. You can probably sign 4 scrubs like that and fit in hitchens with the remaining 7 million. I’d still rather have Lawrence than all 5 of those type of players. There is no way Lawrence is playing for another team next year stop wasting your time. Your argument makes no sense. We’ve been searching for a good rusher for years finally have one he isn’t going anywhere.

So I suggest signing about 3 players for 6 million each and you compare it to signing Carroll who was actually only 2 million a year (a third what I proposed) and are conflating the quality of players?

You're hilarious.

Galian Beast

Reaction score

P.S. Thorton was 4.25.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
So I suggest signing about 3 players for 6 million each and you compare it to signing Carroll who was actually only 2 million a year (a third what I proposed) and are conflating the quality of players?

You're hilarious.
You said 4/5 players now you changed it to 3. Even if it was 3 I’m taking the guy with superstar potential. Why are you even arguing lawrence isn’t going anywhere. I’d be fine with tagging lawrence , extending Martin and and re-signing hitchens. That’s enough.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Now if you told me Earl Thomas was released for salary cap reasons and we could choose Earl Thomas and Hitchens vs Demarcus Lawrence that is something I’d have to really think about.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
You said 4/5 players now you changed it to 3. Even if it was 3 I’m taking the guy with superstar potential. Why are you even arguing lawrence isn’t going anywhere. I’d be fine with tagging lawrence , extending Martin and and re-signing hitchens. That’s enough.

Read the OP...

I think you're fine going 8-8 year in and year out.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Depends on how much and long a commitment we’re talking here.

What I like about the Franchise Tag is it’s only a 1year commitment while it does overpay. But what if he gets suspended again failing a drug test or gets hurt. His value will drop. He’s been too inconsistent IMO to throw 4-5 years at him.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Depends on how much and long a commitment we’re talking here.

What I like about the Franchise Tag is it’s only a 1year commitment while it does overpay. But what if he gets suspended again failing a drug test or gets hurt. His value will drop. He’s been too inconsistent IMO to throw 4-5 years at him.

Unless you think we're going to win the super bowl with the team as is next year, there is no point in franchising this guy. And as you suggested a long-term deal is not advisable.